User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De-winterize and problem with pump

Ok, so not new to RV's. But I am new to the nautilus system. I just de-winterized my 382wb solitude. City water and all connections look good. Cleared out antifreeze from all lines, Including the washer.

The problem is with the dry camping setting. I am able to turn on and get pressure to the system. But the pump doesnt shut off. It just got quiet for a little bit. Then I turn on a faucet. Good pressure for a couple seconds until the pump needs to turn on. It does not until the lines are completely empty (or close). Then it will turn on quietly for a second then it will get loud. I will have air in the lines and it will gain pressure. It keeps doing this.
    The pump doesn't seem to turn on right or shut off right.
    No visible leaks anywhere.
    Jeff & Rachel
    2020 Solitude 382 wb
    2020 F-350 SRW
    Pueblo West Colorado

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jquillen View Post
    Ok, so not new to RV's. But I am new to the nautilus system. I just de-winterized my 382wb solitude. City water and all connections look good. Cleared out antifreeze from all lines, Including the washer.

The problem is with the dry camping setting. I am able to turn on and get pressure to the system. But the pump doesnt shut off. It just got quiet for a little bit. Then I turn on a faucet. Good pressure for a couple seconds until the pump needs to turn on. It does not until the lines are completely empty (or close). Then it will turn on quietly for a second then it will get loud. I will have air in the lines and it will gain pressure. It keeps doing this.
    The pump doesn't seem to turn on right or shut off right.
    No visible leaks anywhere.
    It sounds like you have or are getting air in the lines.

For air in the lines;
    Did you purge and FILL the washer lines?
    Did you purge and FILL both outside shower/sprayer connections?
    Is you hot water heater filled with water?
    Did you purge and FILL all fixtures (bath sinks, shower, toilet, kitchen sink, dishwasher)?

For reintroducing air into the lines;
    Is the cone screen washer at the water inlet turned the correct way (cone facing out)? If the cone is facing in, it can depress the check valve and let air into the system.
    Is the O ring in place and in good shape for the water filter (in the docking bay compartment)?
    Is the screen filter housing on the water pump cracked (will have to remove basement panel to check - this filter housing has crack for other people)

Those are just some possibilities. Good luck.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post

For air in the lines;
    Did you purge and FILL all fixtures (bath sinks, shower, toilet, kitchen sink, dishwasher)?

Is the cone screen washer at the water inlet turned the correct way (cone facing out)? If the cone is facing in, it can depress the check valve and let air into the system.
    Is the O ring in place and in good shape for the water filter (in the docking bay compartment)?
    Is the screen filter housing on the water pump cracked (will have to remove basement panel to check - this filter housing has crack for other people)

Chris
    Cone on inlet was facing in. This (hopefully) is the problem.
    I will go try that when it warms up a little today.
    Fingers crossed!!
    Jeff & Rachel
    2020 Solitude 382 wb
    2020 F-350 SRW
    Pueblo West Colorado

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For air in the lines;

Chris
    Still doing it. The cone was backward and pressing the check valve but the problem is still there.

What is the screen filter housing on the pump?
    I'm looking at the pump. It looks (visually) ok.
    Jeff & Rachel
    2020 Solitude 382 wb
    2020 F-350 SRW
    Pueblo West Colorado

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still doing it. The cone was backward and pressing the check valve but the problem is still there.

On the side of the pump on its inlet (there's an inlet on one side, an output on the other side) there's a small jar-like clear plastic pod containing a filter screen. It probably contains liquid. It unscrews. You can check that it's properly screwed in, tight but not too tight, and not cracked. If there's a problem with it there's probably some leakage on the floor around it.

However, did you allow some time for the pump to work up pressure after you returned the cone screen to its proper orientation? The pump won't instantly build pressure, let it run for a couple of minutes. Check the other things that Chris listed - open each of the water outlets one at a time... chances are still good that air will come out of one or more of them.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may have a different pump/screen, but here is a picture of the pump and screen (in the orange circle) on my 2018 Solitude. Check all around the filter and pump for ANY water on the outside. It should be completely dry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9187 - mod.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	25699

A couple of notes;
    - All air must be out of ALL the plumbing for the pump to function correctly. If there is any air in any part of the plumbing, it acts like a spring and will mess up the pump operation (turn on and off). that is why we keep saying to bleed (run water until it is only water, no air) out of every fixture. Many take a few tries to get all the air out.
    - Tuning the inlet cone around is a common trick if you have problems getting the pump to draw (suck) anti-freeze into the system when winterizing it. Reversing the cone washer depresses the check valve (opening it) and makes it easier for the water pump to prime. Just curious if you or the dealer winterize it last fall? As soon as I am done winterizing the trailer, I would put the cone washer back the "correct" way (cone out) so I do not forget it next spring (and I grantee you, I would forget!).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by CoChris; 04-04-2020 at 09:11 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have a different pump/screen, but here is a picture of the pump and screen (in the orange circle) on my 2018 Solitude. Check all around the filter and pump for ANY water on the outside. It should be completely dry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9187 - mod.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	25699

A couple of notes;
    - All air must be out of ALL the plumbing for the pump to function correctly. If there is any air in any part of the plumbing, it acts like a spring and will mess up the pump operation (turn on and off). that is why we keep saying to bleed (run water until it is only water, no air) out of every fixture. Many take a few tries to get all the air out.
    - Tuning the inlet cone around is a common trick if you have problems getting the pump to draw (suck) anti-freeze into the system when winterizing it. Reversing the cone washer depresses the check valve (opening it) and makes it easier for the water pump to prime. Just curious if you or the dealer winterize it last fall? As soon as I am done winterizing the trailer, I would put the cone washer back the "correct" way (cone out) so I do not forget it next spring (and I grantee you, I would forget!).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    On mine the screen is upside down from what I see on your picture. Does that make a difference?

It was winterized by factory. This is first time de-winterize. Brand new and picked it up in December. So it was still winterized.
    Jeff & Rachel
    2020 Solitude 382 wb
    2020 F-350 SRW
    Pueblo West Colorado

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On mine the screen is upside down from what I see on your picture. Does that make a difference?

It was winterized by factory. This is first time de-winterize. Brand new and picked it up in December. So it was still winterized.
    For cracking and checking for leaks, I do not think the screen being upside down would make any difference. However, if the clear "top" is up, it is much easier to see flow and if there is any junk trapped in there. You should be able to loosen the collars on each side and rotate it "right side up". Was there any water on or around the outside of the filter, fittings or the pump head?

Poor on the factory. They should not have left it that way. The dealer should have caught that, but I am not surprised they missed it.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For cracking and checking for leaks, I do not think the screen being upside down would make any difference. However, if the clear "top" is up, it is much easier to see flow and if there is any junk trapped in there. You should be able to loosen the collars on each side and rotate it "right side up". Was there any water on or around the outside of the filter, fittings or the pump head?

Poor on the factory. They should not have left it that way. The dealer should have caught that, but I am not surprised they missed it.

Chris
    There was a very small amount of antifreeze.. but it was thick as if it were old. No signs of leakage from the 40 plus gallons I've used trying to purge and get it working.

All fittings on the entire system (I can reach) feel tight. The bowl, though upside down, is not cracked and was on correct. I'll try flipping tomorrow.
    Jeff & Rachel
    2020 Solitude 382 wb
    2020 F-350 SRW
    Pueblo West Colorado

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I de winterize mine, I use city water and run a lot through the lines until all air is removed, including outside shower. Be sure to set your Nautilus panel to City water. I make sure the HW tank is full and purged too (pressure release valve open when filling), I then power fill the fresh water tank to full. Once that is done with all pressure out of the system, I reset the Nautilus panel to dry camping. Then with a faucet open turn on the pump. One thing to look for is a kinked line to the pump too.

All this is in you owners manual too. If you still have an issue give GD customer service a call. They can be very helpful and can authorize an RV teck to come to you if your dealer is closed.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast