User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reef's Camp Cooking 3-2-20 to 3-5-20

It appears this is a very under utilized section of this forum. I know there must be other rv foodies out there. I would love to see what you cook while camping. I'll show you mine.

With the latest virus situation my weekend reservations got canceled but I had already taken vacation at work so we setup a nice campsite in the backyard (different thread). We basically camped in that site and cooked most of the meals at the campsite using a CampChef 2 burner setup hooked to the TT propane. Anyway here's some pictures.

A couple different breakfast meals. Bacon and pancakes. Sausage and French toast made with homemade bread from Mrs skreef.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcc2b1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	25718

What's behind door number 1?

That would be grilled cabbage marinated with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette using 18 year old aged balsamic.

Name:	rcvgcabbage.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	25719

Corn risotto and chicken thigh parts.

Name:	rcccrct1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	25720

A beef stroganoff type one dish meal.

Name:	rccbs1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	25721

A small pan cookie cooked in the Furrion cookie oven. I call it a cookie oven because cookies and biscuits are just about all that oven is good for.

Name:	rccfoc1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	25722
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lastly we had a sweet breakfast this morning. Peach slump made with peaches I froze last summer.

Name:	rccpeachs.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	25723

Hope you all enjoyed the ride. We'll post some more when we go camping again.
    Charles and Susan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to say - looks delicious. I'll have to wait a bit yet. I haven't taken the rig out of dep freeze yet. I don't think I can top what you have, but we'll see what I come up with.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I'll have to say - looks delicious. I'll have to wait a bit yet. I haven't taken the rig out of dep freeze yet. I don't think I can top what you have, but we'll see what I come up with.
    TY for the kind words. Hopefully you can get it out of deep freeze soon and maybe we can all go camping again. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm always looking for new inspiration.
    Charles and Susan

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Ryan View Post
    Anyone else cooking as much as me? I bought many types of dishes to satisfy my favorite. One of the likeliest RV dishes is Camp Casual (CC-001). I live its retro theme and colors. The set is well made and the print finish seems like it will last. The dinner plates are quite large and the salad plates are a nice size as well, but everything stacks nicely. I love the fact they're melamine so we don't have to worry about breakage while the camper is traveling down the road, or when we're using them. The dishes came nicely packaged in a thick cardboard box that you can use to store them in. I hope to see more unique & fun items from this company.
    Nice set of dishes. I do a lot of outdoor cooking at home. When we got our TT I culled a bunch of cook ware and utensils from my rather large grill ware collection. I did have to buy some plates, bowls etc... As everything like that at home is ceramic.

Can't wait to see some of your camp cooking. I'm always looking for unique cooking ideas.
    Charles and Susan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post

Name:	rcc2b1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	25718
    Besides it being home made bread how do you make your french toast.
    I'm trying to learn how to cook on a cast iron griddle and I would like to make a good french toast.

Thanks.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    Besides it being home made bread how do you make your french toast.
    I'm trying to learn how to cook on a cast iron griddle and I would like to make a good french toast.

Thanks.

For regular French Toast I like regular thickness bread (not extra thick slices.) If it's a little stale (starting to get hard) it works better.

Eggs, a splash of milk and a little vanilla extract. How long you soak the bread is a matter of personal preference. I just dip it in the egg and don't really soak it. If you soak for a minute or so you need to cook it slower so the egg cooks properly. The trick is figuring out your griddle and using a md/high heat. Too hot and it'll start to burn before the egg cooks.Too low and it doesn't get nice browning.

If you want a really special French Toast try this Stuffed French Toast recipe. The recipe talks about a kamado grill with griddle. Just use your griddle instead. The third picture is from earlier this summer. I used lingonberry jam. Delicious!!!

Name:	gsft1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	28657

Name:	gsft2.jpg 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	28658

Name:	dblsft1.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	28659

French Toast is one of my favorite breakfast meals and the Stuffed French Toast is over the top. Hope this helped a little.
    Last edited by ckreef; 08-10-2020 at 06:52 AM.
    Charles and Susan