Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All terrain tires for truck towing

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and I'm in the market for new truck tires and was hoping for input from others who tow not just run a truck with nothing in it. I'm currently towing a Solitude 375 RES with a 2017 6.7L F350 CC LB 4x4 that has the 275/70r18 OEM Goodyear Wrangler Adventure tires with Kevlar. I have almost 23K on them and they are getting very low, even with rotating every 5Kish. These tires have been good towing with no pulling issues, no wandering and they are quiet; however they are not so great in mud or snow. I realize towing heavy I will not see tires last much longer than 25-30K. I am looking for a better all terrain style tire that may do a little better in the mud or snow; however I have heard some of the other tires drivers have experienced wandering or felt squirmy when towing. I definitely don't want or need that and will stay with the Goodyear tires if that is the case as I tow much more than I'm in the snow or mud. I was looking at the Toyo AT2 or AT3 (which just came out), BFG All Terrain, or I'm even open to a mud terrain. I'm just looking for people who have experience towing heavy running a All Terrain or similar style tire with a SRW truck. I previously ran Goodyear MTRs (old style tread pattern) with Kevlar on my old 02 F350 SRW when I pulled a 33' Keystone Everest and got about 25-30K towing with those believe it or not. Once they changed the tread pattern to the current style they did not perform as well and therefore I'm not interested in them again.

Any input or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and stay well!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome! I had these on my previous truck and pulled a 32' TT. I was very impressed with the way they handled. No wandering or squirmy feeling at all. I have no personal knowledge how they would perform pulling a 5'er, but based on how they performed on my old rig, I plan on installing a set when my OEM tires wear out. Also noteworthy is the weight rating on your size tire @ 3640 lbs for a SRW (you didn't specify if you have a single or dually). On a side note, I have their Ridge Grappler on my Jeep and could not be more pleased with it's performance both on and off road.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truc...ht-truck-tire/

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 04-06-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Hi and welcome! I had these on my previous truck and pulled a 32' TT. I was very impressed with the way they handled. No wandering or squirmy feeling at all. I have no personal knowledge how they would perform pulling a 5'er, but based on how they performed on my old rig, I plan on installing a set when my OEM tires wear out. Also noteworthy is the weight rating on your size tire @ 3640 lbs for a SRW (you didn't specify if you have a single or dually). On a side note, I have their Ridge Grappler on my Jeep and could not be more pleased with it's performance both on and off road.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truc...ht-truck-tire/

John
    I have these exact tires. I replaced the stock Michelins that were gone at 33K. I have 30K on the Nitto's and they still have plenty of tread left. They seem work well in snow(don't see much mud) I upped my size to LT285/70R18 for a higher load rating.

My only minor complaint is they are not exactly quiet. Not mud terrain loud but the loudest AT tire I have ever had. They seem to be the loudest when new and after a rotation then seem to quiet some.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nitto EXO Grapplers if ya want a perspective from a big, heavy hauling, 4x4 dually.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LV Naturist thank you for the recommendation. I didn't even consider Nitto. My 350 is a SRW with the Goodyears being the 3640 rated tire as well.

JKeller I see you your Denali is a SRW like my 350. I believe our trailers are about the same size and weight. Did you notice any height difference going up to the 285? I see you gained over 200lb a tire. Right now I'm sitting pretty level and to park it alongside my house any higher could be an issue for dragging the back end.

GEO Tex I also appreciate your input.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and everyone else seems to love our Nitto Ridge grapplers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had over 100 new cars and trucks, and have had every brand of tire known to man. I'm down to 5 cars presently.

On my F250, I've had 2 sets of Firestones, a set of Toyo Open Country A/T's and now the Michelin LTX A/T's. The Firestones and the Toyo's were of the same approximate quality tire and priced maybe $20 less than the Michelin's.

What's so strange is that on my 3/4 ton, the rear tires lasted 40K miles while the front tires have another 20K miles in them. I've been doing a lot of utility trailer towing, and the tires are slipping slightly accelerating and going up hills--with so much torque.

I will only go with the Michelin's in the future on my truck.

Go

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterhino4x4 View Post
    JKeller I see you your Denali is a SRW like my 350. I believe our trailers are about the same size and weight. Did you notice any height difference going up to the 285? I see you gained over 200lb a tire. Right now I'm sitting pretty level and to park it alongside my house any higher could be an issue for dragging the back end.
    I gained more than that as my stock size was 265/70/18 with a 3525 rating. So I went up about an inch in diameter which makes me a 1/2 taller. I really don't notice the difference. I still look fairly level. I have yet to drag the back. But that could be different due to the differences in trucks. If I ran with the airbags empty I would sit almost perfectly level truck and trailer. I run the minimum of 25psi in the bags as it keeps the springs off the overloads when going over bumps but that does lift the back of the truck slightly
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I will only go with the Michelin's in the future on my truck.
    I know that's been the prevailing wisdom for a long time. But I just didn't have the same experience with the Michelins.

Nitto breaks out the Exo from the rest of their line up as a "Heavy Duty" tire. The weight ratings are the same but apparently they are built for HD trucks that pull/haul heavy. I don't know why or how but its the reason I decided to try them over the other tires. So far so good. They will out last my Michelins by at least 10 or 15k. Same truck, driver, and trailer on both. Actually the Nittos already have more pulling miles than the Michelins did. I had the truck for about 9 months prior to the trailer.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the qualifier here is the intended use of the rig. We do a fair amount of boondocking, and I find the Michelins just don't hold up when getting off pavement. The compound is just too soft IMHO. Mine (OEM installed) are already starting to show some minor cuts and chunking. I'll keep them on until they're done, then replace them with the Exo-Grapplers. Having said that, if you stay on pavement and well graded campgrounds and don't get off the beaten path, the Michelins are a decent tire. YMMV

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast