User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Homemade masks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a nutshell - A surgical/cloth/homemade mask is intended to protect others from you. An N95 mask is intended to protect you from others.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there is a wide range of molecules, many are smaller then the virus. But most base perfumes that are very common are complex larger size. I am simply trying to show people they can do a test with a larger size molecules to see if there bandana will protect them. And please, nobody put acetone on a mask your going to wear.
    Go ahead and question the validity of the test, without a laboratory we can only try relatively simple equivalent evaluation.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it passes through one way it will pass through the other. Yes it may slow down a wet droplets, but as they dry the positive pressure from exhaling will blow them straight through. The same with a droplet landing on your bandana. It will be held in front of your face until it drys in a couple of seconds, and the negative pressure from inhaling will give it a straight shot into you esophageal. Over time it cam work its way into the lungs or hopefully into the stomach where the acids will kill it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
    In a nutshell - A surgical/cloth/homemade mask is intended to protect others from you. An N95 mask is intended to protect you from others.
    I did not mean to start a huge discussion of pros and cons of homemade masks.

As firstshirt indicated, I'm trying to protect others from me.... just in case.

None of this is perfect. But if I can do one small thing to protect possibly 4 or 5 other people... I will.

Besides... I LIKE my mask. [emoji40]

Sent from LB's phone using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Op for the thread ... as always these go sideways with debate I say wear your mask and stay six feet away and you will be safe ... the following info was taken from the net and we all know it is always true the John Hopkins link is good reading ....... Homemade masks limit the spread of infectious droplets in the air by containing coughs and sneezes.
    When a homemade mask can’t be acquired a scarf or bandana can be utilized. By implementing
    community use of these homemade fabric or cloth masks, everyone will have a higher degree of
    protection from this virus.
    My Mask Protects You, Your Mask Protects Me
    Those who are staying home and have no close contacts who are infected with COIVID-19 don’t
    need a mask most of the time. However, wearing a nonmedical or homemade mask may be helpful
    in certain situations or for certain populations*.
    • Shopping at essential businesses, like grocery stores or pharmacies;
    • While visiting your health care provider;
    • Traveling on public transportation;
    • Interacting with customers/clients at essential businesses;
    • When feeling sick, coughing, or sneezing;
    Because homemade masks protect everyone else from the droplets created by the wearer, it is
    important that as many people as possible wear these masks when leaving their homes. This helps
    prevent those who may be infectious but are only mildly symptomatic or not symptomatic from
    spreading the virus to others in the community. Everyone should remember the phrase “my mask
    protects you, your mask protects me.” .................That's supported by a Feb. 24 case report in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, which found a man sick with COVID-19 on a flight from China to Canada in January did not infect his fellow passengers, even though he had a dry cough during the 15-hour flight. The man was wearing a face mask, but because no one else on the plane got infected, this case "supports droplet transmission, not airborne, as the likely route of spread of the COVID-19," the researchers of the case study found..... this is a good read .... https://www.jhsph.edu/research/cente...hy-of-controls ... later Frank and remember wash - rinse - repeat
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    I did not mean to start a huge discussion of pros and cons of homemade masks.

As firstshirt indicated, I'm trying to protect others from me.... just in case.

None of this is perfect. But if I can do one small thing to protect possibly 4 or 5 other people... I will.

Besides... I LIKE my mask. [emoji40]

Lynette - thank you, for starting this thread and sharing pictures of your masks. The CDC has addressed the value of these masks and folks like you are to be commended. My wife Carol, is a 40+ year pediatric RN now the Director of our Childrens hospital. She wears one of these away from the hospital now and gave one to me this AM.

In my Financial Services excecutive life before retirement, our top corporate attorney used to say "no good deed goes unpunished." Your good deed to share your masks in this thread (as many other threads it seems these days) have a group of folks who are less than appreciative and supportive.

Again, thank you, and Steve for your concern for others !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    They're not meant to be the end all, be all perfect solution, nor are they meant to be of a surgical quality.

However, even as recommended by the CDC, along with other appropriate actions that we personally adhere to, they can help to some degree, albeit minimally.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

Unless the mask is fitted for your face it is not very good at preventing you from getting COVID-19. However, a mask that is very good at keeping you from spreading COVID-19. The mask looks great, remember, you are wearing it for everyone else's protection. I have some N95 dusk mask I wear when I need to go out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Americans .... just a happy note in tragic times ... wife works at Publix groceries here in FL been there 35 years ... a regular customer walked in with a large bag of beautiful well made face mask and handed them to the manager and said these are for your crew please thank them for working thru this ... over 50 mask in the bag she said I'll be back with more ....
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Link to YouTube mask how-to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5505.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	25867Hi Everyone,
    I used this YouTube video to make a bunch of masks with cotton material I had, plus a layer of interfacing in the middle.
    I also had some 1/4" elastic on hand.
    Beginner Masks

They turned out pretty good - but based on what JColeman wrote about efficiency/fabric - I would add more layers of cotton or vacuum bag material instead of the interfacing.

I also made extras and took them to a local Dollar General store. The employees were very happy to get them.
    (Asymptomatic people who wear these, will be helping to stop the casual spread of the virus.)
    Not looking for any replies to this - I am a politic-free, golden-rule, kinda person.

Cindy
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a couple of masks for me and Mrs skreef. I cut pieces of material from a upright vacuum cleaner hepa filter bag to put inside the masks.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast