User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question For Dish Network Users

This question is for non-full time users. Full timers can chime in if you can help.

The question is: How do you use your service? Do you have a receiver that you keep in the RV and pay the prorated $7/month that you can turn off and on as you use it? Or, do you not tell Dish that you have an RV and just take your receiver from the house each time you travel?

If you do the second method of taking the home receiver with you, are you still able to switch service locations (for local channels) as often as you like?

Thanks,
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Dish at home and have a receiver that stays in the 5th wheel. It uses a Dish Playmaker and it works very well for us. When we arrive at a new location the wife calls Dish and tells them our location and zip code and in a few minutes we are watching TV. If you want to take the receiver from home you can as we did that for a trip or two but, it was a pain to keep hooking and unhooking the wires from the receiver but, you still have to pay the $7 a month and it is a bargain. Changing locations has no limits as far as we know as an RV changes location a lot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    you still have to pay the $7 a month and it is a bargain. Changing locations has no limits as far as we know as an RV changes location a lot.
    Why? Do you mean you are still paying the $7 for in home use. Seems like if you took the home receiver there would be no additional charge.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Why? Do you mean you are still paying the $7 for in home use. Seems like if you took the home receiver there would be no additional charge.
    You're paying for the access point, not the equipment.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This question is for non-full time users. Full timers can chime in if you can help.

The question is: How do you use your service? Do you have a receiver that you keep in the RV and pay the prorated $7/month that you can turn off and on as you use it? Or, do you not tell Dish that you have an RV and just take your receiver from the house each time you travel?

If you do the second method of taking the home receiver with you, are you still able to switch service locations (for local channels) as often as you like?

Thanks,
    We have a separate receiver in our rig and we pay every month, whether we're using it or not. Now, we usually go someplace every month, but not now......

We do have to reactivate it if it sits too long between uses.

Changing location doesn't give us local channels. We only receive our home channels until dish recognizes we're too far from home.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The $7 is for the RV access anywhere. We bought our receiver so we are not renting it. When you call to get local channels dish knows you are not at home with that receiver. We pay the year round $7 a month fee because we take our RV to our lake lot too and it would be a pain starting and stopping it and we pickup quite often and go other places too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the follow up replies.

I’m gathering the best way for Dish users is to have an RV receiver as part of their home account. This will facilitate the ease of switching the local channels locations while keeping the cost down by only paying while you are using the RV receiver.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the follow up replies.

I’m gathering the best way for Dish users is to have an RV receiver as part of their home account. This will facilitate the ease of switching the local channels locations while keeping the cost down by only paying while you are using the RV receiver.
    Vonzoog, I too have 2-Wally receivers dedicated to my Solitude for traveling. Although somewhat inconvenient, I activate the Wally receivers when I anticipate traveling, and deactivate them after I arrive back home. I transitioned from DirecTv to DISH and can say that activating & deactivating the receivers with DISH doesn't take much time at all (by telephone).

I originally had RV-on-the-Go, and it was much easier to switch local programming using DISH's Ap while you're moving from place to place. Unfortunately, once I established residential DISH service, DISH said I had to cancel my RV-on-the-Go account & merge the Wally's into my residential account, otherwise I would be paying for two separate DISH accounts (which would have costs substantially more of course). Now, after I activate the Wallys and hit the road, if I want to change my local channel programming, I have to call DISH. Not too hard to do by telephone, but hopefully DISH will change this down the road and allow us to change local programming using the Ap.

Anyhow, that's how we do it. Good luck! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought the Dish Tailgater and Wally receiver at first. We have since upgraded the antenna to a RF Mogul. The roof mounted antenna is far superior to the little tailergater or others.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't use Dish or DirecTV at home as I think they are a ripoff. We stream Netflix, Amazon Prime and use Hulu for live TV.

We have a Trav'ler Dish antenna on our rig and if we get someplace where the Internet is too spotty to stream which is common, I call Dish and I am running in just a few minutes with a $39, 30 day renewable service. When we get back home or in an area with good net service we just let the 30 day contract run out and start it again when required.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast