User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing Hydraulic Fluid (ATF Dexron/Mercon)

Preparing to change the hydraulic/ATF fluid on my Level Up system.

The manual specifies to change it every 3-years with ATF Dexron/Mercon, capacity approx. 2-quarts. Retract all hydraulics (slides & landing gear), then siphon the fluid in the reservoir. Replace with fresh fluid to 1/4 inch from the cap & extend/retract hydraulics several times to distribute the fluid & purge the air (self-purging). I plan to add 1/2-to-1 quart of anti-stiction fluid (Torco Grade 15) to help prevent "popping/air" etc.

This is the first time I've changed the fluid. It seems pretty straightforward, but for those who have done this before, is there anything else I need to be aware of when I do this job? Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't get any air in the lines. If the slides are in and you dont cycle them than there is no way air can get in the system. Not sure I would add anything to the fluid. I didn't know stiction was a problem. Just make sure you use the correct ATF and you should be fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    You shouldn't get any air in the lines. If the slides are in and you dont cycle them than there is no way air can get in the system. Not sure I would add anything to the fluid. I didn't know stiction was a problem. Just make sure you use the correct ATF and you should be fine.
    Perfect, thank you! Yeah, apparently that helps with the occasional "popping" that occurs when camping in cold weather. I never added it prior to this change, but it did pop early on. The system hasn't popped recently, but then again, I haven't camped in cold weather recently. Thanks for the info! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend going with the Cat 1U-9891 fluid instead of the Torco stuff. We did a poll once of folks that were on the site a long time ago, and those that used the Cat fluid generally only had to do it once. Those that used the other options had a much higher instance of needing to perform the maintenance again to get rid of the popping.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'd recommend going with the Cat 1U-9891 fluid instead of the Torco stuff. We did a poll once of folks that were on the site a long time ago, and those that used the Cat fluid generally only had to do it once. Those that used the other options had a much higher instance of needing to perform the maintenance again to get rid of the popping.
    Funny you mentioned it, but I tried to find the CAT fluid first. I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. The Torco & Maxima fluid options seemed to be the only ones I could find at the time. Thank you for the info though!! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    Funny you mentioned it, but I tried to find the CAT fluid first. I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. The Torco & Maxima fluid options seemed to be the only ones I could find at the time. Thank you for the info though!! -Diego
    Diego,

There’s some on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1U-9891-1U9...-/264655531369

Looks like a good seller feedback. 100%
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Diego,

There’s some on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1U-9891-1U9...-/264655531369

Looks like a good seller feedback. 100%
    Fantastic! Thank you Jerry, I did not check there! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any CAT dealer will carry it. I do not have have any CAT equipment, but they are happy to sell it to me over the counter. No account required. And the price was pretty good (lower than Amazon, but I do not remember what it was).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Any CAT dealer will carry it. I do not have have any CAT equipment, but they are happy to sell it to me over the counter. No account required. And the price was pretty good (lower than Amazon, but I do not remember what it was).

Chris
    Thank you sir! I will research my nearest CAT dealer, thanks again Chris! Stay safe! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you sir! I will research my nearest CAT dealer, thanks again Chris! Stay safe! -Diego
    Good luck Diego and let us know what you find out. It has been 3(?) years since I checked, and a lot has changed.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast