User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blinking Brake Lights

Hi, I had an odd situation the other day. I had my 2020 2970RL home and connected to my truck overnight. When I got up the next morning to move it, I noticed that my brake lights were blinking very fast but only at about 1/3 of normal intensity. This was before I unlocked or started my pickup. Any thoughts as to what would cause this? I unplugged the cable to the truck and it stopped and I can not duplicate it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gus

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gdattilo. Welcome to the forum. It might help if you could tell us the make of the truck. I know Ford and Chevy handle braking connections differently. And I know of one instance where a 2020 chevy needed an adapter for the brake system to work correctly (much like the early model chevys) but that was on a rig with disc brakes.

And I'm wondering if you did any troubleshooting before unplugging the trailer. Like: step on the truck brakes to see what happened, starting the truck, trying the blinkers, etc.

For now I'd suggest checking the connectors to be sure they look ok. Or maybe leave it plugged in again to see if the same thing happens.

We'll see what other have in mind. Folks here sure have a lot of experience.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some trucks have a battery isolater module built in so if left plugged in the trailer cant drain the truck battery down. Perhaps is was doing its job but cycling. However why it was powering the brake lights is a mystery - unless it was flashing an error code. Do you have an aftermarket controller? if so look in their manual or your truck manual if it has a built in brake controller.

Please post back what you find

Good luck
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Hi Gdattilo. Welcome to the forum. It might help if you could tell us the make of the truck. I know Ford and Chevy handle braking connections differently. And I know of one instance where a 2020 chevy needed an adapter for the brake system to work correctly (much like the early model chevys) but that was on a rig with disc brakes.

And I'm wondering if you did any troubleshooting before unplugging the trailer. Like: step on the truck brakes to see what happened, starting the truck, trying the blinkers, etc.

For now I'd suggest checking the connectors to be sure they look ok. Or maybe leave it plugged in again to see if the same thing happens.

We'll see what other have in mind. Folks here sure have a lot of experience.
    Hi Traveldawg and thanks for the reply. I have a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD and I did not do any diagnostics prior to the disconnect. On thing I have learned that I did not mention is that the Trailer power cord is tied inrto my truck alarm. I found this out by disconnecting the cable while my truck was locked and it set my alarm off. It may be tied into that?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdattilo View Post
    Hi Traveldawg and thanks for the reply. I have a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD and I did not do any diagnostics prior to the disconnect. On thing I have learned that I did not mention is that the Trailer power cord is tied inrto my truck alarm. I found this out by disconnecting the cable while my truck was locked and it set my alarm off. It may be tied into that?
    Sounds like either the alarm flashes the lights to show activated or when you hit the button to open the truck it flashed brake lights to show that the truck alarm was disabled and the doors were unlocked. My 2019 RAM 3500 flashes lights when I lock and unlock and so did my 2009 Tundra. I use this feature to check that the lights work. Makes it easy for me to do a light check by myself.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every bit of info helps. I guess some more testing may be in order with the alarm. Of course, the simple thing to do is to just disconnect the trailer if you're going to leave it connected overnight. Sometimes I do that and on older trailers years ago before all these fancy trick controller circuits I always disconnected the connector if I didn't unhitch for the night.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated above with GMs, if there is a bad or weak light and socket connection or light out, it can cause that signal light and or other lights voltage to vary.
    I just sold a GMC Sierra 2500 that was consistent with this. Believe it or not I found the culprit to be too much "light bulb lube" used when I changed the last running light and signal bulb on that side of the truck. You can't make this stuff up!
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD and noticed the same issue on my new Reflection 150 290BH. When the trailer wiring harness is connected to the truck and the truck is parked and locked, the brake lights flash in a regular pattern. This appears to be part of the ProGrade trailer package.

The below is from GMC’s website:
    - Trailer Theft Detection extends your truck’s theft alert capabilities to the trailer (if equipped). This is enabled through the settings in the in-vehicle trailering app.
    - When enabled, parked and the trailer electrical connector is disconnected, your truck’s lights flash and its horn will sound (if your truck is turned off).

This is specific to GMC and Chevy vehicles with the ProGrade Trailering Package, not an electrical gremlin.