User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LA5ver

Hello from Lower Alabama

We currently have a Winnebago Vista 35F that we are in the process of selling. Once the sale is complete, we will be ordering a Reflections 317RST. I haven't seen any discussions about the 317 on this, or any other forum. I am interested on hearing from any 317 owners out their thoughts on the floor plan. I also have questions about what people are using for tow vehicles. I am concerned about the clearances between the bed and the bottom of the overhang. The top of my bed rails are at 60" and I understand you should have 6" of clearance. Does anyone know what the distance is from the ground to the bottom of the overhang?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I'm from Upper Alabama.

The 317 is a new floor plan, and it's doubtful you'll get any feedback on the floorplan. I like it however. If you have any questions on the bedroom, you'd almost have to find one on a dealer's lot and go see it in person. In Alabama, Dandy RV over in Oxford/Anniston is Grand Design's largest stocking dealership.

As far as towing this unit at 10,256/2028 dry lbs.: You'll need at a minimum a 3/4 ton diesel pickup with air bags on the rear. A 1 ton dual rear wheel truck would be better in case you ever go up to a "full size" fifth wheel trailer. In reality, that trailer will be deliveredat more weight than published.

I have a 323BHS that's just over 11k and 2K dry. My F250 engine has the power to tow it, but the rear axle weight carrying capability has me simply max'd out.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a very long (closed) discussion thread on the Reflection overhang height at
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...500-and-303RLS
    You don't mention what your TV is, but box rails at 60" (albeit, unloaded) could be a problem.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

LA5ver
    Bamaman, I have seen a 317 at Johnny's RV in Mobile and really like it. The only issue I have found with it are the non LED ceiling lighting and the wings on the fold out couch. Both of these issues have been addresses on later models. Regarding my TV, I have a 2015 Ram Megacab Laramie with 6.7 Cummins. The GVWR on the RAM is 10K. The GCVWR is 25K. I have an Reese 16K PRO Slider installed and have added The Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. On the CAT scale, full tank of fuel, driver + passenger with the hitch and air bags installed, I am at 5,260/6,000 Front, 3,473/6,500 Rear. GVW is 8,733. With the theoretical weight of the 317RST loaded, I would be at (2,800 pin weight) and 14,000 GVW. That would put me at 6,273/6,500 Rear, 11,533/10,000 GVW and 25,533/25,000 GCVW. That puts me over 1533 on the GVWR and 533 over on GCVWR. However, based on what we took out of the Winnebago when we cleaned it out, I figure we would have a max amount of about 1500 pound additional weight in the 317. Using these numbers, I am figuring (2,400 pin weight) and 12,000 GVW. This would put me at 6,073/6,500 Rear, 11,133/10,000 and 23,133/25,000. That puts me under all numbers but GVWR at 1133 over. I am comfortable with these numbers. I am not worried about the Cummins being able to pull the 317. My biggest concern is the overhang clearance and being able to tow the 5ver near level. I believe the 317 comes with 15" tires and I am going to see if I van get it delivered with 16" tires.

LA5ver
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    There is a very long (closed) discussion thread on the Reflection overhang height at
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...500-and-303RLS
    You don't mention what your TV is, but box rails at 60" (albeit, unloaded) could be a problem.
    Cate&Rob, Thanks for the info. It would be nice if Grand Design would add a "Ram" option that incorporated the fix described in the url you provided + adding 16" tires.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LA5ver: You've obviously done your homework. and your weight estimates look to be accurate. My 323 is about 500 lbs. heavier than it is supposed to be.

Nice that you're used to dealing with a trailer. And yes, all the diesels have the power to pull anything. My truck is a well kept 2003 model, and obviously manufacturers have been making some running gear changes over the years resulting in increased weight capabilities.

My 323BHS left the factory on 7/17/2015, and unfortunately it doesn't have the LED lighting. It can be easily added to the lights most commonly used, however. I got the SuperSofa option (only available on bunkhouses) that replaces the dining table with a portable table. It's 12' of heavenly seating with a loveseat-dual recliner, a left hand recliner and a right hand recliner.

I was quoted a very low price at Dandy RV, but we stopped at the dealership in East TN. He took Dandy's prices and beat'em. But their salesman and the Grand Design sales rep took time to change a pending stock order to my specs., and I had my trailer in 3 weeks. They were straight forward and easy to deal with. I would have bought at home, but not for $8K more.

LA5ver
    Bamaman: Which dealer in East TN? We moved dow here (Foley) about 2 years ago from Sevierville TN and purchased our first 4 RVs up in that area. I found the dealers in that area very good to deal with. I hope, if I can get the overhang clearance questions resolved to my satisfaction, that I can get a quick delivery from the factory like you did.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dealt with Jim Harden @ Tennessee RV on the Strawberry Plains exit east of Knoxville. They're showing to have a 317RST in stock.

LA5ver
    I haven't purchased an RV from them, but I spent a lot of time looking at their RVs.

LA5ver
    Well, we sold the Winnebago yesterday and placed the order for the 317. Johnny's RV had one scheduled to come off the line on 1/28 that had everything on it that we wanted. Hopefully, we should take delivery the first part of February.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast