Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15k btu AC on home shore power?

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone is running their 15k AC on home shore power? I haven't put in a 30 or 50 amp plug at the house yet but plan to do so in the future. This would be plugged into a regular wall outlet through dog bones and a surge protector. Wondered if there was a sequence in turning off some things at the trailer mainframe to be able to use the AC or if it's possible at all.
    Todd and Kathy
    2017 Ford F250 4x4, 6.2 gasser, 3.73 gear ratio
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my very recent experience a 15k ac unit won't properly fire up on a "regular wall outlet". Just install a 30 Amp socket and be done with it. Less than $100 in total and only 3 wires to hook up.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine plugged into an outlet in my shop. Usually, these are 15-amp but, when we had the house built, I had the shop/garage wired at 20-amp. Seems to be just enough to run the A/C. Wasn’t looking to run the A/C on a fifth-wheel, but more to run my tools, such as a table saw and a few others. Just got lucky, I guess.

I also use a heavy-duty extension cord.
    Last edited by Richter; 04-15-2020 at 08:41 PM.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebpac View Post
    Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone is running their 15k AC on home shore power? I haven't put in a 30 or 50 amp plug at the house yet but plan to do so in the future. This would be plugged into a regular wall outlet through dog bones and a surge protector. Wondered if there was a sequence in turning off some things at the trailer mainframe to be able to use the AC or if it's possible at all.
    I run one of my AC units (usually the main living area) from May-October with the RV plugged into a 20A household outlet. The AC is set at 80, never had a problem and can simultaneously run the fan only on the other unit. I live in the Desert SW so it runs most every day. I would get a heavy duty extension cord and limit the length of the run as much as possible.
    Mark
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd,

It may barely work if you plug it into a 20 amp circuit. A 15k BTU A/C will draw about 14-15 amps. You would also need a heavy duty extension cord to limit voltage drop. Recommend a 12/3 cord like this. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...dp/B01IN11IJ4/

Make sure your refrigerator is turned off or running on propane. Also turn off water heater. Also after plugging in wait a few minutes for the converter to top off your battery since it will draw about 4 amps initially.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than the weight, why not just use your shore power cord that you already have, and just a stubby adapter to go from the 15A plug to 50A cord? That is the best way to eliminate voltage drop and get as many amps as possible to the camper instead of to the atmosphere.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    Other than the weight, why not just use your shore power cord that you already have, and just a stubby adapter to go from the 15A plug to 50A cord? That is the best way to eliminate voltage drop and get as many amps as possible to the camper instead of to the atmosphere.
    This is how I have it set up now. I run the 50 amp cord supplied by GD thru a 50/30, 30/15 doggone into my Progressive Surge Protector. All hooked up to the 15A socket. My problem is this; The house was built with a 150 amp circuit panel and I believe that all circuits are taken. Even with the 30 amp amp h/u, I'd have to splice it in somewhere. I was hoping to have a new 200 amp box put in to replace it and add more area to put in more 15A sockets in my garage along with a 30 or 50 amp h/u added for the trailer.
    I do have a 50ft 12/3 ext cord as well but didn't want to add more length to the 30ft 50A cord. ( I was thinking of doing that so I could get my garage door all the way down. No outside sockets that are near enough to connect.) Oh, and by the way. I'm the last guy you want hooking up electrical stuff.
    Todd and Kathy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the replies. The last thing I want to do is burn out my AC unit on a trailer I just picked up in October last year. It's given me some food for thought.

Todd
    Todd and Kathy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing you could do is put a sub-panel in off your 150A service. If you are not comfortable or it is not allowed for you to do so by code, by all means get an electrician to do it. Putting a sub-panel in would allow you to move circuits to that box, freeing up space in your main box for a new large breaker.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    One more thing you could do is put a sub-panel in off your 150A service. If you are not comfortable or it is not allowed for you to do so by code, by all means get an electrician to do it. Putting a sub-panel in would allow you to move circuits to that box, freeing up space in your main box for a new large breaker.
    JH, thanks. We had talked to our one electrician we use and had discussed that. He felt that just going to a bigger 200 amp box with more access would be better? Unsure. Either way, that never happened and with the current situation going on and salary changes etc, we're not in a position to do a big upgrade like that. It's not a huge problem if we can't run it but thought if family stays over or we have a need, it would be nice to have. It may have to wait.
    Todd and Kathy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast