User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - I was about to tackle this project this weekend and noticed Home Depot sells 36x36 sheets. Is this the same material that everyone's using. . . ?
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buil...7307/203930831

Thought the larger sheet would allow the shield to go a little higher.

Also, is acetone OK to use to clean up? Yes, it'll remove road grime but will it wreck the gloss finish that's there? (in the event I get it on more that what I'm covering w/ the diamond plate)
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi - I was about to tackle this project this weekend and noticed Home Depot sells 36x36 sheets. Is this the same material that everyone's using. . . ?
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buil...7307/203930831

Thought the larger sheet would allow the shield to go a little higher.

Also, is acetone OK to use to clean up? Yes, it'll remove road grime but will it wreck the gloss finish that's there? (in the event I get it on more that what I'm covering w/ the diamond plate)
    ORBSAH, yes that is the same gauge Diamondplate I used. It is easier to cut to the proper shape. Just be careful because the edges are very sharp. Use some thick gloves.

I used acetone & didn’t notice if I cleaned outside my boundary. But I believe it will remove any wax if that’s what you’re concerned about.

As far as the shield going higher; now that I have had several “road tests,” I would definitely recommend going higher with your coverage/protection. I really like the upgrade though! Good luck! -Diego

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Nice work Diego!

Both of my Solitudes have full body paint and both arrived at the dealer with numerous rock chips on the front wall. The chips are easy to see because the paint is black. Grand Design really needs to ship these rigs with some kind of protection so they arrive in good shape.

I went a different route to protect mine and used paint protection film. It's very nice of you to offer the templates you created to others as they do take some time create. Thanks for documenting your project and sharing it with us!

What brand of paint protection film did you use? I had the lower cargo area door and surrounding areas done with Expel Paint Film Protection but it was pricey. I was quoted a ridicules price to do the front cap and could probably come close to installing a new front cap for the price.

Did you have the front cap done and if so, would you mind saying how much it cost to do it. Local Expel install shop in my area wanted over $4000.00 to do it.

The diamond plate looks good and is a good idea but it will not work for the front cap. Excellent write up.
    Last edited by Tennesseepowerstroke; 10-27-2020 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    2020 Solitude 310GKR
    2003 F350 PSD

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
    What brand of paint protection film did you use?
    I used some inexpensive film from Amazon. It says it's 3M or Suntek. I didn't cover the front cap as that is high enough that rocks from the truck tires won't chip that paint.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    ... I already had a box of rivets...
    Pop rivets?
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job and what a great way to kill time during the pandemic. Something I have done on all my Superdutys is to add the contoured OEM mud flaps on all fours. This has helped greatly in reducing road debris/rocks/tar from getting kicked up. Not perfect but goes a long way.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Pop rivets?
    @andrewssteve, sorry for the delay, yes, pop rivets. -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12