User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diamond Plate Protection for Solitude 310GK (Part-1)

Ok “boys and girls,” so this “lockdown” inspired me to custom fabricate diamond plate protection for the lower leading corners of my coach. (beneath the nose and just above the front landing gear) This area tends to get punished by rocks, dirt, mud, and grease that is kicked up by the rear wheels while underway. This area is also one of the hardest spots to clean since it usually has a mix of contaminants splashed onto it.

I owned a previous travel trailer that had diamond plate installed across the lower front end and it worked great, so I thought it would be nice to have the same kind of protection on my Solitude 310GK. This is the step-by-step process I took:

1) NOTE: This part of the project took the longest. I first made two cardboard templates for each side. The Driver’s Side template will fit on a sheet of diamond plate 12”(H) x 18”(L). The Passenger’s Side template will fit on a sheet 12”(H) x 22”(L). My templates were traced to fit between the coach’s trim pieces on each respective side, so that they lay flat against the surface and to prevent overlapping the trim at various edges. I “Dry-fit” the templates on the coach to ensure they fit the way I wanted them to and to make sure they didn’t need any further trimming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cardboard Template.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	25935

TIP: Better to get your templates “perfect” before cutting the expensive diamond plate and discovering your dimensions were off.

IMPORTANT: While “dry-fitting” the cardboard templates, use a sharpie & print “outside” on the visible side, and “inside” on the side that rests against the coach’s skin. This will come in handy later. (see TIP under Step-2)

2) I bought one 24” x 36” sheet of 0.025 gauge diamond plate at Lowe’s for $34.48 (before sales tax). OPTION: You can also buy two 12” x 24” sheets for $17.98 each (before sales tax), if you prefer. The smaller sizes are also easier to work with when your cutting out the patterns. I traced the cardboard templates on the back of the diamond plate sheet using a black sharpie.

TIP: Make sure the template is oriented correctly before you trace your outline. If you’re going to trace the template on the diamond plate sheet with the “tread”-side-UP, make sure the side of your template that reads “outside” is UP, before you trace. If you’re going to trace the template on the diamond plate sheet with the “back”-side-UP, make sure the side of your template that reads “inside” is UP. How do I know this? I goofed on my first template and it cost me another trip to the hardware store!!!!

3) I cutout my patterns in the diamond plate sheets using a pair of tin snips.

WARNING: Make sure to use a thick pair of leather gloves. The diamond plate edges are EXTREMELY SHARP and will cut you.

TIP: I cutout my patterns on the “inside” of the line I traced with the sharpie. This helped ensure that my newly cut diamond plate patterns were as close as possible to the final shape and helped prevent a lot of trimming.

Name:	Template & Pieces.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	25936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	%22Dry Fit%22 Cut Pieces.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	25937

4) I “Dry-fit” the newly cut diamond plate patterns and re-trimmed in a few places. While “dry-fitting” each piece, I took a pencil & traced along the “raw” edges (top and interior edges) on the coach’s skin, so I would know where on the coach’s skin to prep.

5) Once I knew the diamond plate fit properly, I cleaned-up the edges with a file. This removed all the burrs and sharp edges. I inspected the diamond plate patterns and straightened them out carefully with pliers to make sure the sheets rested flat against the coach’s skin.

6) I drilled 3/16” holes around the circumference of the diamond plate sheets. (11 holes each pattern)

TIP: The area around the circumference of the cargo bay door and the coach’s trim pieces have aluminum framing behind the skin.

7) I “Dry-fit” the pattern again & marked only the 4 holes at roughly each corner so I could rivet the piece in place during Step-9 and free up my hands to drill the remaining holes.

8) I used acetone and cleaned the coach’s skin where the diamond plate sheets would go. I then lightly sanded the coach’s skin where the diamond plate would go to assist adhesion.

Name:	Prep Surfaces.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	25939

9) I used acetone and cleaned the inside of the diamond plate patterns. I bought one 9-oz. tube of Loctite Power Grab Ultimate for $7.48 (before sales tax) and spread it across the inside of the diamond plate pattern. I used 3/16” rivets (1/4” grab) and installed the rivets in the 4 holes I drilled during Step 7. This held the sheet in place while I drilled & riveted the remaining 7 holes.

TIP: When drilling the remaining holes, make sure you push the sheet flat against the skin to ensure you’re drilling in the appropriate location on the skin and not offset from hole in the sheet.

To be continued.......

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diamond Plate Protection for Solitude 310GK (Part-2)

....continuing

10) I cleaned up adhesive that had squished out around the perimeter and through the holes and then installed the other pattern, repeating Steps 7 to 10.

Name:	Driver Side.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	25940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passenger Side.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	25941

Final Notes: Sorry if I gave you way too much info, but this “lockdown” is giving me “cabin fever” so I needed something to kill time. I already had a box of rivets, so the entire project cost me a net $41.96 in materials and 2 “lockdown” days. I’m not very fast anyway, but I took my time, ‘cause I have plenty of that right now!

Name:	Both Sides 1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	25942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Both Sides 2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	25943

BONUS: If any Solitude 310GK owners are interested, and if they don’t want to have to “re-invent the wheel,” I’d be willing to duplicate the templates I painstakingly made and send them to you. Now, keep in mind I’m assuming the various-year 310GK dimensions are mostly similar, if not the same, but I imagine you can tweak the patterns as necessary. Send me a message & we can discuss the particulars! Good luck and stay safe! -Diego

Name:	Tools Used.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	25944

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks really nice. Excellent job!
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very nice job, especially considering the Tin Snips. I'm impressed, my hands are not nearly that good.
    Those are exactly the areas that seem to attract the most debris (behind the tow wheels). I might consider going all the way across the bottom and maybe even some on the bottom of the door. The door plate would be protection (reinforcement) from me as I always use my knee to push the door closed when latching.

This is a great idea for any trailer and one I will put on my list of improvements.
    Thanks;
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    A very nice job, especially considering the Tin Snips. I'm impressed, my hands are not nearly that good.
    Those are exactly the areas that seem to attract the most debris (behind the tow wheels). I might consider going all the way across the bottom and maybe even some on the bottom of the door. The door plate would be protection (reinforcement) from me as I always use my knee to push the door closed when latching.

This is a great idea for any trailer and one I will put on my list of improvements.
    Thanks;
    Rob
    Thank you Rob. I would love to cover the entire lower face from the cargo door on down. In the future, I may add a 12" x 12" piece above the existing ones. I would also like to add diamond plate on the strip below the door and cover the void between the two pieces.

I would have created more coverage on this project, but I had no idea if I was going to be able to pull this off with my limited tools. I figured I would focus on the area that is abused the most. Plus diamond plate sheets are not cheap, so I didn't want to invest too much on my "experiment."

Now that I've completed this project, I would say anyone undertaking their own project could cover more surface area if they chose to. This would of course add to the cost and complexity of the project. I will update the post after I put a few miles on the trailer & see how they perform! Stay safe! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a 3,000+ mile trip, I examined the 'splatter pattern' on the front of my trailer. I think you have it 90% covered.
    In a perfect world, I might go an inch or two higher and all the way across. This would be a function of the exact configuration of the truck/wheels/accessories etc.
    I'm going to check out the local Lowes / Home Depot / Menards around here and see what they have.

In reality, I should do the top half of the nose. The part that is above the truck really picks up the nasty juicy bugs. I can handle grease, oil, dirt and dealing with small children. Bug guts are the worst.

Be safe;
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    After a 3,000+ mile trip, I examined the 'splatter pattern' on the front of my trailer. I think you have it 90% covered.
    In a perfect world, I might go an inch or two higher and all the way across. This would be a function of the exact configuration of the truck/wheels/accessories etc.
    I'm going to check out the local Lowes / Home Depot / Menards around here and see what they have.

In reality, I should do the top half of the nose. The part that is above the truck really picks up the nasty juicy bugs. I can handle grease, oil, dirt and dealing with small children. Bug guts are the worst.

Be safe;
    Rob
    Yeah, I figured I got the worst area, thanks! That's funny, but if money was no object, I would cover the front nose of the trailer with a clear epoxy! Short of that, if there was a way to install a sheet of clear plastic that would also help. Maybe the people that do "vehicle wraps" have something we could do in that regard!?? Might be a good business venture for someone! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Gran Casita - yes, nicely done ! Some folks over the years have shared similar covering with diamond plating. Not only is it effective but looks nice like a number of factory TTs which have built at the factory that way. Well done !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work Diego!

Both of my Solitudes have full body paint and both arrived at the dealer with numerous rock chips on the front wall. The chips are easy to see because the paint is black. Grand Design really needs to ship these rigs with some kind of protection so they arrive in good shape.

I went a different route to protect mine and used paint protection film. It's very nice of you to offer the templates you created to others as they do take some time create. Thanks for documenting your project and sharing it with us!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job!! I may do the clear shield for this one and then the Diamond Plate for the last one. I know that the diamond plate will look great offsetting FBP.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast