Thread: The new kids!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    They're settling in nicely

Skye doesn't quite fit into gizmos bed no matter how hard she tried

Looks like they are, and like they have it made!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor The_Traveling_Neelys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So adorable!
    Truck: 2012 Ram 3500
    5er: 2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huckleberry says congratulations! Maybe we'll cross paths someday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My girls would love to meet a good looking guy like Huckleberry.
    Puppy training is in full swing. It's been almost 15 years since we last trained pups...forgot how fun it is!

Skye started showing slight aggression when some people approach wanting to pet her (not unusual for some Aussies) . I have to not only train the pups, also have to train people wanting to bend over and touch her. Came to the conclusion it is easier to train dogs than people lol.

We reached out to the breeder for insight on her personality while she was there seeing as she was in the kennel for her first 11 months of life. We found out that in the kennel she was timid toward people. We never noticed the timidness during our first meeting with Skye. She approached both of us with full out friendliness and it also suprised the breeder how she approached us so easily. We came to the conclusion she picked us more than we picked her. Everyone will have to wait for her to do the approaching until her confidence in people improves.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff! Enjoy the new pups.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47590033-7F34-495A-AC34-11DD88F066C9.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	783.8 KB 
ID:	26193

Ty and Ali welcome the new kids to the Grand Design family!
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Left The Driveway
    McNeill, Mis & Orlando (where all the kids and grandkids live)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back about 1960 or so my dad brought home our first Australian Shepherd. He was working for some Basque ranchers in the Napa valley and the dog was injured and couldn't work. They were going to put him down rather than give him time to heal. He brought him home and that was the best dog a kid ever had. We have had several Aussies since then and my daughter has one that she got from a shelter now. We are full time in our Reflection 337 and my wife just can't handle all the hair. We are currently dogless and will probably remain that way as long as we live in a 5th wheel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanChavers View Post
    Back about 1960 or so my dad brought home our first Australian Shepherd. He was working for some Basque ranchers in the Napa valley and the dog was injured and couldn't work. They were going to put him down rather than give him time to heal. He brought him home and that was the best dog a kid ever had. We have had several Aussies since then and my daughter has one that she got from a shelter now. We are full time in our Reflection 337 and my wife just can't handle all the hair. We are currently dogless and will probably remain that way as long as we live in a 5th wheel.
    Not sure I understand you wife's issues as there will be hair in a house as well. Ever considered an alternative to the breed? There's dogs that don't shed as much as a collie or shepherd. Or is she just not a pet person?

Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Skye started showing slight aggression when some people approach wanting to pet her (not unusual for some Aussies) . I have to not only train the pups, also have to train people wanting to bend over and touch her. Came to the conclusion it is easier to train dogs than people lol.
    I hate this too! People expecting that all dogs like to be touched and fussed over by strangers! Especially obnoxious if they send their kids over despite your warnings!

All dogs of the guard breeds are suspicious of strangers. That's in their genetic makeup. Sometimes more, sometimes less. A kennel is not an environment, where they can shed anxiety and learn confidence either. But I feel, she's in good hands! She knew that from the start.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeenGone View Post
    Not sure I understand you wife's issues as there will be hair in a house as well. Ever considered an alternative to the breed? There's dogs that don't shed as much as a collie or shepherd. Or is she just not a pet person?

I hate this too! People expecting that all dogs like to be touched and fussed over by strangers! Especially obnoxious if they send their kids over despite your warnings!

All dogs of the guard breeds are suspicious of strangers. That's in their genetic makeup. Sometimes more, sometimes less. A kennel is not an environment, where they can shed anxiety and learn confidence either. But I feel, she's in good hands! She knew that from the start.

It's funny in a sad way, when we put our 2nd Aussie down (Koda) in early March I cried when there was no dog hair to clean up.

Thanks, we like to feel that we are capable in bringing out the best in this pair. In the 9 days we have had them there has been a big difference / improvement in their self confidence. They are catching on training fast, Aussies are so darned smart!!!

People that know herding breed alway stop and talk but know to ignore the dogs and let them do the approaching. In fact many times they put their hands in their pockets until they get the passing sniff over.

It's the ones who think all pups love everyone that will eventually get bit by some dog some place. Koda being a fluffy Blue Merle would get lots of people wanting to pet him. My favorite was the lady who went right in his face (@5mos old) and grabbed his head and nuzzled him without even asking...she got her nose snapped at and she deserved it. I did not even repremand him because she crossed a line. No one should ever greet any strange dog like that.

Both of the last 2 were rescues and came with a handfull of issues , the biggest being fear aggression and we eventually worked through it. But he would snap at any stranger who crossed his space line , got to close to me or rode a bike to close to him.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadie and Pepper say hi and welcome! Sadie is a bit protective of us and timid toward others as well. We finally found a hiking harness for her that lets people know, so we don’t have to tell them quite as much... we still have to watch out for the small kids and adults who can’t/don’t read though! Pepper is nice as can be so we let her do the socializing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97AC13F6-284D-4FAC-8606-1A3DE660101F.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	26196
    Tom and Diana
    Full Timers/Work Campers
    2019 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Long Bed 6.7HO w/air bags
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 2930rl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast