User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new kids!!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else find it difficult to adopt a dog?

[QUOTE=WhittleBurner;289087][COLOR=#b22222]Kind of let it out of the bag in another area but here is the official "birth notice"

Congrats on your new additions! They're both beautiful. I have to admit, I'm more than a tad bit jealous. I am wondering though, how do people who RV, get dogs? The last people I asked said they got their previous dog when they had a fenced yard and they had to send pictures of the entire fence. When they got their new dog, it was a don't ask - don't tell type of situation.

We had to put our last dog down 2 years ago and some things still make us tear up; Like an old chewed up tennis ball we found when cleaning out the basement. This is the first time in decades that we haven't had a dog in the house. Decided it was time to get another and started looking at mini-Aussies. My family had them and I've always wanted one of my own. Through the years, all of our dogs, even if from a breeder, "found us" in one way or another so we never got around to getting my Aussie. Now that we're over 60, we thought it was time. Especially since we have more time now for hiking, boating, RV'ing, etc. I was disappointed that not only the breeders, but also all the rescues I contacted require a fenced yard and recent references from a vet. We're 2 years out on our references. That was frowned upon. Also, we have 2 homes, both on 5+ acres so our worst sin of all is that we are not fully fenced at either place. Even if we were, we wouldn't want the required 5 ft tall fencing. That's just not something we're fond of. So, those are all strikes against us. We've perimeter trained all our dogs and they were always complimented on their behavior, happiness and manners. They traveled everywhere with us, from remote rough camping to dinner parties. We've spent a fortune on our dogs; getting surgery to restore sight to a blind one, giving a diabetic dog insulin shots every 12 hours for literally YEARS! Believe me, that takes dedication and lots of love. Everyone we know calls our place Dog Heaven. In any case, it looks like a new dog isn't happening anytime soon. We certainly understand that the people who own and/or foster animals only want the best for them. Just disappointed (and a little hurt) that we're suddenly undesirable as dog owners. Geesh! Wish they were a little more open minded.
    In any case, we've decided that all this just means our dog is out there somewhere working its way to us right now. LOL!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=GoodDog;290964]
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    [COLOR=#b22222]Kind of let it out of the bag in another area but here is the official "birth notice"

Congrats on your new additions! They're both beautiful. I have to admit, I'm more than a tad bit jealous. I am wondering though, how do people who RV, get dogs? The last people I asked said they got their previous dog when they had a fenced yard and they had to send pictures of the entire fence. When they got their new dog, it was a don't ask - don't tell type of situation.
    We got turned down by 3 rescue attempts because of the lack of a large fenced yard and being in an RV. My son got turned down for 1 because he works all day. Many rescues go extremely overboard trying to protect the dogs. Many times I think they don't want to place the rescues. I have really turned anti dog rescue due to the extremes in requirements, one wanted my lifes history and an extra 10 dollars just to apply. I found much that they asked to be none of their business and nothing to do with having dogs in my home. We passed on them completely.

We had to put our last dog down 2 years ago and some things still make us tear up; Like an old chewed up tennis ball we found when cleaning out the basement. This is the first time in decades that we haven't had a dog in the house. Decided it was time to get another and started looking at mini-Aussies. My family had them and I've always wanted one of my own. Through the years, all of our dogs, even if from a breeder, "found us" in one way or another so we never got around to getting my Aussie. Now that we're over 60, we thought it was time. Especially since we have more time now for hiking, boating, RV'ing, etc. I was disappointed that not only the breeders, but also all the rescues I contacted require a fenced yard and recent references from a vet. We're 2 years out on our references. That was frowned upon. Also, we have 2 homes, both on 5+ acres so our worst sin of all is that we are not fully fenced at either place. Even if we were, we wouldn't want the required 5 ft tall fencing. That's just not something we're fond of. So, those are all strikes against us. We've perimeter trained all our dogs and they were always complimented on their behavior, happiness and manners. They traveled everywhere with us, from remote rough camping to dinner parties. We've spent a fortune on our dogs; getting surgery to restore sight to a blind one, giving a diabetic dog insulin shots every 12 hours for literally YEARS! Believe me, that takes dedication and lots of love. Everyone we know calls our place Dog Heaven. In any case, it looks like a new dog isn't happening anytime soon. We certainly understand that the people who own and/or foster animals only want the best for them. Just disappointed (and a little hurt) that we're suddenly undesirable as dog owners. Geesh! Wish they were a little more open minded.
    In any case, we've decided that all this just means our dog is out there somewhere working its way to us right now. LOL!
    Totally frustrated with rescues We ended up seeking out at a breeder. She (the breeder) even said in our conversation that she has sold to other full timers and it is a non issue to her. The important thing is the dogs are well cared for and loved. I would suggest you seek out a breeder that is breeding herding stock and isn't breeding for show or championship bloodlines. The herding breeders understand that dogs can run free on land and not take off with proper training.

I hope you get your Aussie/s (they really are happier in pairs) someday soon.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

[QUOTE=WhittleBurner;291013]
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodDog View Post

We got turned down by 3 rescue attempts because of the lack of a large fenced yard and being in an RV. My son got turned down for 1 because he works all day. Many rescues go extremely overboard trying to protect the dogs. Many times I think they don't want to place the rescues. I have really turned anti dog rescue due to the extremes in requirements, one wanted my lifes history and an extra 10 dollars just to apply. I found much that they asked to be none of their business and nothing to do with having dogs in my home. We passed on them completely.

Totally frustrated with rescues We ended up seeking out at a breeder. She (the breeder) even said in our conversation that she has sold to other full timers and it is a non issue to her. The important thing is the dogs are well cared for and loved. I would suggest you seek out a breeder that is breeding herding stock and isn't breeding for show or championship bloodlines. The herding breeders understand that dogs can run free on land and not take off with proper training.

I hope you get your Aussie/s (they really are happier in pairs) someday soon.

Thank you for the tip! I'll check out the stock breeders. We're also totally turned off now by rescues. The interview process is not pleasant at all. It's more like an angry interrogation. Made me feel like we were guilty of something. And you're right, it was very personal and intrusive and not oriented to the dog's welfare. Not complaining at all about them wanting to know the dogs will be loved & cared for. It was more of an attitude thing. For some reason, I expected them to be a happier, more positive group of people. Thanks again for the tip.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take on rescues: There are good ones, but often they are not flexible. They want to avoid that one of their dogs ends up living on a chain or being confined to a crate for the rest of his life. More often than not, there's more good intentions than brains (sorry!). We know it very well, we've been fostering for rescues for a couple of years. Our daughter works with a rescue, fosters for them. Our rescue would be flexible enough, but this is not always the case.

I don't mind going to a breeder as long as you can see how mama and papa dog live. I want to be able to make a house visit, or at least, get one offered. But be aware, there are very smart puppy millers out there, who have a set up for people wanting to see the mama dog. Once they turn their backs, poor puppy manufacturer goes back to her tiny crate without any comfort. Once you know how puppy mills work you wished the legislators would pass a commercial dog breeding ban. Of course, a lot depends on the breed you are looking for, the ones in fashion are more likely to be churned out by puppy millers.
    Last edited by BeenGone; 04-28-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BeenGone View Post
    My take on rescues: There are good ones, but often they are not flexible. They want to avoid that one of their dogs ends up living on a chain or being confined to a crate for the rest of his life. More often than not, there's more good intentions than brains (sorry!). We know it very well, we've been fostering for rescues for a couple of years. Our daughter works with a rescue, fosters for them. Our rescue would be flexible enough, but this is not always the case.

I don't mind going to a breeder as long as you can see how mama and papa dog live. I want to be able to make a house visit, or at least, get one offered. But be aware, there are very smart puppy millers out there, who have a set up for people wanting to see the mama dog. Once they turn their backs, poor puppy manufacturer goes back to her tiny crate without any comfort. Once you know how puppy mills work you wished the legislators would pass a commercial dog breeding ban. Of course, a lot depends on the breed you are looking for, the ones in fashion are more likely to be churned out by puppy millers.
    Totally understand them wanting to make sure the dogs will be safe & sound. And thank you for being a foster family. There needs to be more of you. We're also totally against puppy mills. Too many people get "puppy fever" and never stop to think that they should be the ones interviewing and checking out the breeder and/or rescue group. It's sad. We have never had a fenced yard & never will. We live on large parcels of land. We have always camped, RV'd, traveled, went boating, etc., with our dogs. Every single one of our dogs died from old age. Never once lost one due to RV'ing. The dogs I see RV'ing are some of the happiest, best cared for and loved dogs I've ever met. If I had said I live in a townhouse with a 10 x 10 back yard and a 6' fence, I would have been at the top of the adoption list. Because I said my potential dog would travel and RV and boat and hike and get to run his heart out with us, we won't even be considered. With those rules, there's a lot of dogs out there being denied a happy home. That's sad too. In any case, the answer we were getting was always the same so we've stopped looking. If a dog comes into our lives that's good and if not, we'll (hopefully) someday get use to a quiet and hairless house. Again, I admire you for your foster efforts. That has got to be an emotional ride.
    Last edited by GoodDog; 04-28-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

puppies at play

A normal play session, this is only a clip of what our daily life is like with the pups when it's play time. Most romp session lasts 3 to 4 mins.
    Our trailer is wall to wall dogs and toys !! Once puppyhood is over I'm taking a long nap!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjB2o41wU0
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 05-02-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must be exhausted. Giz must be hiding. They are cute though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hams View Post
    You must be exhausted. Giz must be hiding. They are cute though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Giz hides under the dining chair when they play like that, otherwise he is out and they even sleep next to each other now and then.
    He is happy to not be the only dog but looks at us like we are nuts when they start playing like that. Those run around sessions are at about 2 or 3 a day and if we're lucky it happens outside!
    Hard to believe 2 weeks ago Gizmo and Bella were just about the same size, this was taken about 2 days ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200430_134654.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	26268
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love your fur babies I have a standard Red Merle Aussie they are the best dogs ♥️
    2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty Hemi 6.4 4x4
    2019 GD Imagine 2250RK
    Companions: VinDiesel & Luna

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaWells View Post
    Love your fur babies I have a standard Red Merle Aussie they are the best dogs ♥️
    Understand your perspective, but in reality the dog you share your life with is the best dog. Breed, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.....
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast