Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which new truck?

With retirement on the near horizon, it's time to start looking at which truck we'll buy. We currently have a 2006 Chevy 2500 with Duramax to pull our Reflection 337. While the 2500 does a great job in this set-up, she is getting up there in miles, and will fall short with the new retirement rig. We are looking at something around 42-45', toyhauler style with garage to haul the bike. (yes, we are looking at the Momentum also).

Drive train, GVW's and overall capabilities will be scrutinized to assure we are towing safely. It seems that all 3 of the big three diesel truck makers will be able to fit this bill without issue. (not interested in gas) All other things being equal, price will be a factor, but I will not compromise safety, reliability or comfort for price. I am interested in getting some feedback from my fellow GD owners regarding their experiences.

What Make, model and trim truck you have
    What issues you have experienced
    Good things and success stories

Is there any advantage to DRW over SRW? I expect we will need a 1 ton.

Over the years, I have owned Chevy, Dodge and Ford, and I don't have a bias. I simply want to buy a truck that is reliable, performs well and provides all the creature comforts needed for full time RV life.

Looking forward to some great feedback and discussion.
    Chuck and Kara
    Southern Arizona
    2014 GD Reflection 337RLS #353
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD- Duramax/Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we bought a GMC Sierra, 3500 HD Diesel, with a SRW. We thought long and hard about the DRW but we said no and now we have the 355TH. The Hitch is a another issue, we have the hitch rite series 20 K, getting back to the truck, we bought all the bells and whistles on it too. the two front seats are cooled and heated as well. and its a crew cab, the full four doors. We have towed our rig only a few times and we have not had any issues towing the 355TH Momentum. We also have two full size ATV's in the back side by side, 500cc Rubicon , and a 450 cc foreman, 2000 and 2001 never had a problem with my ATV's. The truck has two batteries and two alternators so I have plenty of power, I have also taken my truck surf fishing on the Delaware Seashore beaches, great truck. I have had fords and dodge before and even an INTERNATIONAL but this technology and the way they build these trucks today is something else

Attachment 1208
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AL and Holly
    355TH Momentum, #00811, 2014
    GMC Sierra, 3500HD, SRW, Diesel 2014

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked for Ford for 24 years, so I am prejudiced to the SuperDuty. Mine is a 2003 F250 Lariat crewcab 7.3 diesel. While it has plenty of towing power, it and all 3/4 tons are short of kingpin carrying weight.

I also find most Ford dealers to be superior operations to the average Chrysler/Jeep/Ram dealership. Most GM dealers are okay after GM cleaned house a few years ago of the non-performing dealerships.

I'd tell you to just go out and drive all three brands. They're all capable vehicles. And go for a 1 ton dual rear wheel truck while you're at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuck, most people will tell you their truck is best. I'd say get the most truck you can afford. DRW will give you more stability due to the wider foot print. Take your time, test drive all you can. New truck will be a big investment
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked with the camper dealership and the Ford dealer to spec out the right truck. Ended up with F250, heavy duty springs, 5th wheel trailer package. It's been doing great in towing and we're in our 3rd season now. After our GD tour last Spring, their factory rep, who used to sell Fords, said ours was a real good setup and will do us fine. But as LC says above, "get the most truck you can afford."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

I have a 201 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW with Duramax Diesel and Allison transmission and absolutely love it. I have 60,000 miles on it and have not had one issue. I make sure I get all the maintenance done. I think the DRW is a lot more stable on the road, don't feel the wind hardly at all when the big tractor trailers go flying by. I think it is a lot more stable on the road than my Chevy 2500 HD was. I would not give this truck up. The only con is its a little clumsy to drive around town and maintenance is expensive but that is true with most heavy duty vehicles.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2012 F 350 Lariat, DRW, 4x4, CC, 8 ft box, fully loaded except Nav. Air bags in back . Tow a Momentum 385th. Has no problems towing, decent milage, but again it is a 1ton towing a heavy 5er. Mileage depends how you drive. Find the sweet spot the truck likes and you like. Have not had any problems with truck. meaning never been back to dealer for warranty work on a bad part. Been there for service, when I did not have time to do it. Looked at all 3 truck brands, non of them would fit in garage with CC and 8ft box. So that was not a determing factor. I was getting a dually for stability, not just for 5er but other trailers to. After looking at all 3, My personnel preference was Ford, and my wife felt better driving Ford than the other 2. I will throw this in.... I do not full time, if I did real full timing with 5er of the 385TH size and weight, I would probably look at getting a HDT.
    Hootie

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    For me, it came down to a couple of key things. After having a Toyota Tundra CrewMax truck to pull my bumper pull, I really liked the extra room of a "mega cab" and that became a high priority...not the decider, but a high priority. We drove the Fords numerous times, and the last one was a 2012 350 long bed Lariat. It was a nice truck, but after driving it, my wife and I were unimpressed. I sat in a 12 Chevy 3500, and found that as I tried to get out of the back seat, the B pillar hit my knees every time. The instrument cluster and overall dash layout looked like a 2008 Saturn Vue. I have never been a Ram guy. I've always been of the mindset that you bought a Cummins, and they threw in the rest of the truck for free. And then I sat in a 2013, and all of that changed. It's ergonomically as nice as my Toyota. It drives great. I've had no real issues with the truck. I bought a Laramie Longhorn. Sunroof, Aisin transmission, SRW, 50K frame (Yes, it does make a huge difference), etc. I can't believe how much I love this truck and I love towing with it. The truck has 37K miles since I bought it in August of 2012, and 11K of that is towing. Without the airbags, my truck rides level with my trailer. I wanted to reduce the chucking, and keep stock ride height, so I put the airbags on it. The only thing I might have done differently is to get a DRW. That would have been for the gearing. The SRW's all come with a 3.42 rear end. That's fine, and the truck pulls great with it...but I always wonder what the 3.73's would have done for me instead. The only thing I'd love to have different is the Torque Management. Ram really controls the torque off the line, and that can cause a delay in acceleration at times.

That said, if I could have waited for the new GM trucks, I would have and looked closely at them. The Duramax/Allison combo is a really great combo. There are some things that I don't like about them, but a solid second choice for me.

At the end of the day, any of them will do you well. The Blue Oval guys love the fords. The rest of us look at them and wonder why. The Duramax and Cummins guys have great respect for one another. I really recommend sitting in, and driving all three. I think it will come down to your preferences and what you like. Read the forums for each manufacturer and see what the guys who own them say. They aren't all just going to brag. The other place that I really got some good info was the campgrounds. People are usually pretty honest about their experiences.

One thing I will recommend is to get a 3500/350. Don't mess with a 2500/250. You'll never regret buying too much truck. Especially when you're just slightly overloaded because your wife found a rock that she couldn't live without.
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Heartland Cyclone 3110 that we pulled with a 2011 Ford F350 CC SRW...We really liked that truck. Never had a single issue. Bought it May of 2010 and in October traded for a 2015 Ford F450 both are the Lariat Ultimate package. We wanted the stability of the drw. The truck is a beast! If it turns out as reliable as the 2011 we have a winner.

The trailer will be traded on a Momentum 328M.

I will say this, GMC, RAM and Ford are all making real nice trucks. Pick the one that is most comfortable for you.

Safe travels,

AJ

Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2012 HD RoadGlide Ultra
    2015 GD Momentum 350M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, thanks for your very thorough reply and all the information. I loved your comment about the way Dodge used to be..you bought a Cummins, and they threw in the rest of the truck for free I am glad to hear they have finally come around.
    I will take all this great advice and continue my research.

Thanks again,

Chuck
    Chuck and Kara
    Southern Arizona
    2014 GD Reflection 337RLS #353
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD- Duramax/Allison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast