User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High Gloss "Gel Coated" vs - High Gloss.

Taking ownership of a 2020 GD Fiver next week. Looking for clarification on High Gloss ext sidewall panels vs High Gloss - Gel coated panels. Is this a play on words in the RV industry or an actual addtl benefit. My soon to be 2020 Grand Design Solitude 375RES-R has high gloss, gel coated on the sales brochure. However the Solitude S-Class series just has High gloss. Thoughts / Opinions on the differences and durability.

Thanks

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any Solitude that is not full body paint has a gel-coat over fiberglass laminated exterior wall. High gloss is just that - a higher gloss than on the Reflections and other fiberglass panel GD RVs.

Rob

EDIT: Just to clarify, even the full body paint is over a laminated fiberglass exterior wall.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I've owned several trailers including a Heartland product, Fiver I'm trading on a Solitude 375RES in 3 days. The High Gloss exterior side panels from a "salesman perspective" gets communicated as Gel Coated and "just as good as full paint". Meaning - the Gel coat will keep the unit from weathering like full paint.

My 7 year old Heartland Bighorn 3610RE side panels look flat and weathered. The unit only came with "High Gloss" exterior side panels, no mention of Gel coat at all. The saleman stated it did have Gel coat.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FOWLERGK View Post
    Thanks. I've owned several trailers including a Heartland product, Fiver I'm trading on a Solitude 375RES in 3 days. The High Gloss exterior side panels from a "salesman perspective" gets communicated as Gel Coated and "just as good as full paint". Meaning - the Gel coat will keep the unit from weathering like full paint.

My 7 year old Heartland Bighorn 3610RE side panels look flat and weathered. The unit only came with "High Gloss" exterior side panels, no mention of Gel coat at all. The saleman stated it did have Gel coat.
    Unless your Heatland had metal side panels, it had a gel-coat. That's the only way fiberglass is finished.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FOWLERGK View Post

It is possible that your BH had Filon (a plastic-and-fibreglass-combined sheeting) which does not have gelcoat on the exterior. Our last TT, a 2004 Cougar had filon exterior. It was not glassy smooth like gelcoat on our boats but had a look and feel where you could see fiberglass texture up close and particulary at the proper angle and light.

There is a post in the other sandbox like the OPs here asking the same thing.......possibly the same poster. Will be interesting to see GDRVs response.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S Series has a slightly thinner gel coat than the regular Solitude. Its in between the Reflection sidewall and the Solitude.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We currently own a Reflection TT and looking at upgrading to a 5r. We were just comparing the gelcoat today. The solitude had a high gloss finish gelcoat. The solitude S had a thinner gelcoat not high gloss. The Reflection 5r had the higher gloss gel coat that looked and felt the same as the Solitudes.

I would have expected the Solitude S to have at least the same quality as the Reflection. Very odd.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh2pizza View Post
    We currently own a Reflection TT and looking at upgrading to a 5r. We were just comparing the gelcoat today. The solitude had a high gloss finish gelcoat. The solitude S had a thinner gelcoat not high gloss. The Reflection 5r had the higher gloss gel coat that looked and felt the same as the Solitudes.

I would have expected the Solitude S to have at least the same quality as the Reflection. Very odd.
    It's not so much odd as it is a material of material availability during the last couple years due to demand for RVs and supply chain challenged.

Fact of that matter, it doesn't really matter with regard to gelcoat from a durability perspective in this application. Save the flames as my coatings division produces gelcoats!

All GD gelcoats are thin (same true of majority of mass produced towables). The minute thickness difference equates little to durability to impact resistance, but some advantage to scratch resistance. With a high gloss, you'll need the thickness in order to polish out branch scrapes. Scrapes are much less noticeable in matte. High gloss is touted as easier to clean. It's only true if you use no protectant over time. Clean and wax your gelcoat, and there's no effective differentiation.

My point really goes to high gloss vs. matte gelcoat should not be a discriminator in purchasing a towable (boat shopping and my advice and the gelcoats are different). Full body paint versus gelcoat, about a $10K consideration. Even then, GD is not using an impressive FBP system, but they do look sharp!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania