Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch weight vs Tongue weight

Just purchased a 2970-RL Imagine travel trailer (7,400 lbs dry). Thinking about pushing it across my property to its resting location with a front-end hitch. The GD specs say the 'Hitch' Weight is 751 lbs. The front-end hitch I'm considering has a 'Tongue' capacity of 500 lbs. ...But are Hitch and Tongue the same thing? ...Will this hitch push it? ...Do i have better options?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, they are the same thing. And if you have added anything to the camper - even batteries and/or propane, your weight will be far more. For worst case, assume it will be about 12% of the GVWR of the trailer. If it is full of liquids, and packed pretty heavily. My 2670MK advertises ~625, but real world, with no liquids, and only moderately packed for camping, it is about 950. If I was pushing it across my property very rarely, I'd do it. But my property only has a length of about 80 ft. that would be accessible to it. If yours is 40 acres and going across country....or measured in miles....may not be the best idea.
    Why not hook it up to the rear? Presumably that is how you got it home?
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backing it in to its curling road final destination seems much easier if I could push it with a front hitch. But my question is really about the type/strength of front-end Hitch I would need?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overloading ANY hitch is just asking for trouble. Is there a higher rated hitch you can purchase instead of the 500 lb hitch?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks and yeah, that is the question I am trying to find answers for. And for my own research I wanted to make sure what the different Hitch Weight Capacities mean and how that relates to the Weights of my RV

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought hitch weight is the weight of your trailer tongue when not connected to weight distribution, and tongue weight is the weight while hooked up and some of that hitch weight is distributed to the rest of the setup.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tongue is the weight suspended by the hitch, tongue weight never changes. The weight distribution shifts/distributes the existing weight from the hitch/drive axle to the steer and trailer axles.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tongue weight is the weight the trailer exerts on the hitch. The hitch weight is usually referring to the the weight capacity of the hitch as specified by the truck manufacturer for your specific truck.

The tongue weight should never exceed the hitch weight (capacity).

Think of tongue as the trailer ball socket and hitch as the truck ball. If that makes any sense. Maybe I just confused it more - LOL
    Last edited by ckreef; 05-29-2020 at 05:53 PM.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn’t say if you will be moving the trailer in/out often. I’ve heard about the Trailer Valet XL Trailer Dolly. I don’t have one but I’ve read on other RV forums that it’s good for tight spaces, but expensive.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Dol...let/TVXL2.html
    Last edited by Tigger1; 05-29-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    Tongue weight is the weight the trailer exerts on the hitch. The hitch weight is usually referring to the the weight capacity of the hitch as specified by the truck manufacturer for your specific truck.

The tongue weight should never exceed the hitch weight (capacity).

Think of tongue as the trailer ball socket and hitch as the truck ball. If that makes any sense. Maybe I just confused it more - LOL
    So does the weight of the WHD head count against the hitch weight capacity? For instance I have a 1500# hitch on my Chevy 2500HD, does my 75# (est) Equalizer head reduce my max. allowable tongue weight to 1425#? Do the bars also count against the hitch weight?
    I am looking at a 34' long trailer with listed weights of 1300 hitch and 12000 GVWR. My Chevy 2500HD has a hitch with max rating of 1500#. Using the GVWR Calculation for tongue weight I get the following for 12000 GVWR:

12% - 1467
    13% - 1560
    15% - 1800

Is this too much trailer for my truck hitch wise?

I have a diesel with 2850 payload so that's not an issue. Thanks.
    Last edited by Texdan; 07-18-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast