User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Residential fridge and battery life towing

Hi all. I have a question for those of you with the Samsung fridge. I'm having my 375RES converted over this week by my dealer after tiring of the ups and downs with cooling on the Norcold. Will the fridge really deplete the 2 house batteries while towing all day or does the truck keep them charged enough. My new truck has the dual alternators rated at 397 amps output but I'm sure not a lot of juice goes through the 7 pin connecter. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated, I'm beyond excited to get the Samsung in and the Nev-r-cold out!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeff

We only towed our 2019 Solitude 373FB-R twice (from Oregon to Palm Springs and back) but I did monitor the fridge temps remotely while driving with the Samsung fridge and inverter on. I had two lead acid batteries. Unfortunately, I didn't yet have my BMV-712 battery monitor installed in that rig while doing those drives but the fridge ran the whole time from the those batteries. Not sure what the state of charge was when we arrived at our destinations but the fridge was still running. Those were 8-10 hour travel days. Based on my limited experience, I'm guessing you'll be fine. I think I've read somewhere that max output from the truck is something like 7-9 amps?

We didn't like the RV fridge in our Reflection either. Too much of a hassle keeping temps regulated manually. I had to set the temp cooler late morning then turn it up in the evening. That, along with ice build up in the freezer was just too much of a pain. That's why we got the residential fridge in the last Solitude as well as this newer one. I'd rather have a huge solar/battery system and a residential fridge than mess with an RV fridge again. My wife LOVES the residential fridge and if we ever dry camp long enough to deplete the batteries, that will give me the excuse I need to upgrade my solar setup :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did the test 2 weeks ago after installing 2 Aim Lithium batteries.

Start just before leaving the house to head to Central Oregon.

Arriving at camp after 2.5 hours.

After unhitching and leveled. Plus slides out.

I'm still learning what all the numbers mean, but it only lost a little bit. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the input Brian and orbiker, that's good to know. It sounds like it's no big deal to tow all day with the fridge on battery power. I can also run the Onan if need be, I usually do that in the summer when I tow it to Houston to see my grandson. It's a 3 hour tow and with the gennie running the A/C the trailer is nice and cool when I get there and set up. I looked at a new unit last Saturday that my dealer did the fridge swap on as part of the sale, other than the outside 2 vents in the slide you'd never know it wasn't a factory install. I will probably order the fridge from Home Depot and have it shipped to the dealer, very excited to get it done.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I'm still learning what all the numbers mean. . .
    Start by changing the temp setting to display Fahrenheit. Then it'll all make sense.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Start by changing the temp setting to display Fahrenheit. Then it'll all make sense.

-Steve
    I tried. It will not let me. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I tried. It will not let me. KEN
    https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...it-and-trends/
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    ... except in... oh, yeah, EVERYWHERE ELSE in the world!

Fifty years after Canada started going metric I'm kinda "bilingual" now - still can't quickly convert from one to the other but I know what temperature feels like whether its expressed in one or the other (also weight, volume, speed, etc.) But there are now millions of people up here who have NO clue what Fahrenheit temps or other Imperial/US measurements are.

You guys should try metric, you'll like it! You've likely noticed that you're drifting that way already... lotta metric fasteners in the U.S. now, for example. We're creeping in!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    You guys should try metric, you'll like it!
    I remember when I was in high school the U.S. dabbled with the idea of switching to metric. That experiment didn't last long. The metric system does make more sense but I doubt if the U.S. will switch any time soon. We're a stubborn bunch (me included) :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I remember when I was in high school the U.S. dabbled with the idea of switching to metric. That experiment didn't last long. The metric system does make more sense but I doubt if the U.S. will switch any time soon. We're a stubborn bunch (me included) :-)
    Haha I was also in high school at that time and was scared to death of having to learn the metric system! Ok so now that I feel comfortable with the Samsung fridge and battery life it seems this thread has gone off track and I love it lol. It's the yanks vs the canucks and we all need the friendly banter. Oh by the way Brian, you should update your avatar pic to that gorgeous new rig you have!
    Jeff

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast