User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an engineer but does anyone know why Lippert would choose to use the inverted V on the spring hanger as opposed to boxing both ends as shown in BeerBrewers pic??? I weld recreationally and am seriously considering beefing up the spring hangers with one or the other.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Idea Zinman. I am going to box in the hangers like the op has done. I am thinking it will give more support than a V brace. My only thought is anything coming from the factory as an after thought, thats going to be mostly free of charge has to be quick. And a piece of steel bent and welded in, is pretty quick.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zinman View Post
    I'm not an engineer but does anyone know why Lippert would choose to use the inverted V on the spring hanger as opposed to boxing both ends as shown in BeerBrewers pic??? I weld recreationally and am seriously considering beefing up the spring hangers with one or the other.
    The V-brace will reinforce fore-and-aft better than boxing in will - and just about as good side-to-side. It's Lippert's suggested approach.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To everyone: I am very interested in reinforcing my spring hangers after reading this and other threads so I called Lippert tech support trying to track down the "V clip" brackets described/shown in one of the other threads. Tech support knew nothing about it but transferred me to parts. I was put on hold while the individual asked his other parts associates if they knew anything about it. No one knew what I was talking but suggested it may have been a field fix despite being told it was Lippert staff who did the repair in the field at a GD rally. I told them I thought it should be something they should make available to the general public. Looks like a trip to my local steel shop to fabricate some brackets and get them welded in.
    2020 Solitude 372WB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When our hanger fell off..yes fell off not broken Lippert sent a tech to replace the hanger. Sitting still he couldn't see (neither could we) that the pressure caused cracking on the opposite side. As it worked out we were headed to the TN Rally right after the repair and found the cracked hanger at a rest stop. We were at the TN rally talked to Lippert and this is where we all learned about the V solution, Lippert installed Vs on the spot for all 4 hangers. This was 3 years go (I think) and the hangers look great today.

I agree with Rob that the Vs offer more support in all directions.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree the v's offer more front to back support as well. I have watched a few videos on the yoo toob where people recorded the movement of the hangers, and the side to side movement was very alarming. I am more concerned at this point with side to side than fore and aft movement.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    House_of_Henniker, I agree with your comment regarding side to side movement of the spring hanger. I have looked at the Morhyde (sp?) X Factor that apparently greatly reduces that flex and thought it would be a good addition along with the V brackets welded to the spring hanger/frame. Since I weld recreationally I'll take a look at seeing what it takes to fab three braces during this Covid-19 nightmare were all living through.
    2020 Solitude 372WB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 268BH at the show in Feb. Since we didn’t it until June -(pandemic..��) I was able to read an enormous amount regarding trailer suspension, good and bad. About a month after delivery, I took it to a local welding and suspension shop who dealt with trailers. He looked it over and pointed out that the front hanger on one side was already out of straights. We pulled the trigger and installed the Roadmaster system with shocks. They added cross bracing front and back in addition to 3 and 1/2 lift. The difference was night and day. Before, going over dips in the freeway I could see and feel the trailer bouncing quite a bit. Now, hardly feel any bounce and no creaking and groaning while turning. We decided to do this since we figured we would keep this one for a while and where we like to camp is usually in the high mountains well off the beaten path and did not want to take a chance on broken spring or hangers etc.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E78C7C2D-D138-4422-9218-B64E3E8A8078.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	30988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83FA973B-3772-4472-9E8F-CC3CE2935FFF.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	30989
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for conversation's sake, this is what the spring hangers look like with the V reinforcements factory installed on my '21 31G.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clear things up, I haven't done any upgrades to my leaf spring hangers. I came across the picture on another web page and thought that it would definitely help strengthen the leaf spring hangers. So I reposted the pic on this site to get your opinions on it. I too am an armature MIG welder and welding "end caps" on my leaf springs is well within my skillset. Having said that, I still don't know if I'd entertain doing it, because I don't like welding anything that is structural. Ask me to weld a crack in lawn mower deck or fix a shelf bracket, I'm on it, but if you ask me to weld an crack in a trailer frame and I'll refuse.

I had heard about welding V brackets onto the leaf spring hangers, but I never saw it done before. It definitely looks like it would strengthen the hangers, not only side ways, but also front to back. Is there a gap or drain hole at the bottom of the Vee? If not, I'd be concerned about water collecting in the Vee causing it to rust.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast