User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone reinforced their leaf spring hangers?

While searching the web (yes, I've got lots of time!) for info on suspension upgrades I came across an interesting idea and I was wondering if anyone has done or anything like it. They took small 1/4" thick plates and had them welded to back of the rear leaf spring hanger brackets and to the front of the front leaf spring hanger brackets (see the pic below). Nothing was done to the center support that I could see. I don't think anything like this could be done to center bracket because it would interfere with the movement of the equalizer. I'm no expert on leaf spring suspensions but it looks like it would strengthen the front and rear leaf spring brackets. It looks like fairly easy to do. Has anyone done, have any info on or considered doing this?

Below is the link link to the threat where I found the picture.
    https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-178539-2.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function on this and the other forum, there are numerous threads on this topic. The other Rob (Cate & Rob) and Tucson Jim have posted some good information on it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    While searching the web (yes, I've got lots of time!) for info on suspension upgrades I came across an interesting idea and I was wondering if anyone has done or anything like it. They took small 1/4" thick plates and had them welded to back of the rear leaf spring hanger brackets and to the front of the front leaf spring hanger brackets
    Lippert had problems with spring hangers cracking an breaking off for a while. Their after-the-fact solution was so called "V-brackets" -- an inverted V welded inside the hanger.

I just got disc brakes installed on my rig. They're supposed to work so well, some folks have a concern that in panic stops, you can apply excessive force to (especially) the rear hangers. I'm happy to share their concern.

We were planning a trip in June from Minnesota to North Carolina, with Lippert's Goshen Indiana plant not far out of the way. So I called Lippert and was able to make an appointment to have them install the V-Brackets on June 11. I am assuming they know better what to do than my local welding guy.

Now with the coronavirus mess, I'm not sure what's going to happen. If Lippert can still do the work, I may drag the trailer down there even if we have to abort the camping with my grandson.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you use the search function on this and the other forum, there are numerous threads on this topic. The other Rob (Cate & Rob) and Tucson Jim have posted some good information on it.

Rob
    Rob...I had searched the site looking for some info, but I obviously didn't use the right search phrase. I've since found the really long thread (aprox 29 pages) on the topic that I think you were eluding to. Its got tons of useful info and insight that also has lots of related links embedded in it. I'm a Civil (Structural) Engineer so its all fascinating reading for me. There are some really interesting solutions buried in there. I skimmed the main thread quickly and now I'm in middle of rereading it in more detail. Thanks for the tip!

Bob

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Rob...I had searched the site looking for some info, but I obviously didn't use the right search phrase. I've since found the really long thread (aprox 29 pages) on the topic that I think you were eluding to. Its got tons of useful info and insight that also has lots of related links embedded in it. I'm a Civil (Structural) Engineer so its all fascinating reading for me. There are some really interesting solutions buried in there. I skimmed the main thread quickly and now I'm in middle of rereading it in more detail. Thanks for the tip!

Bob
    Well... that should keep you occupied until the pandemic is over!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2019 Reflection 303RLS (mfg. 6/2018) had both rear leaf spring hangers break off the frame a couple months ago. Had a local spring shop repair and reinforce both. LCI is picking up the tab.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E34412E-797D-4CAB-80A4-5DB1286DEC3B.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	990.5 KB 
ID:	30465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C7BCD526-CFD7-4C5B-854B-3E0582520EBE.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	30466
    Last edited by Poneill675; 10-29-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Just last week a mobile welder came to our site and welded "v brackets" inside the existing hangers of the Solitude. He fabricated the v's from 2 pieces of 3/8" material on his rig and welded them to the inside of the hanger and to points on the frame in front/back of the hangers. Looks very solid and I believe will solve the side to side movement risk. I decided not to go with left to right brace bars given the mass of the v brackets he installed inside the hangers. Hopefully I'm right!
    Now will install Roadmaster slippers and shocks w/upgraded 8000# axle/disk brakes. We should be golden for the road trips.
    2018 Solitude 375RES
    Reese Goosebox
    2020 Ford F-450 Platinum
    Clarkston, MI

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob,
    I am going to do as you did. I am also going to add some gussets to add a little more strength. I watched a video on youtube and was amazed at how much those hangers flex. Needless to say, This will get done before spring departure.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by House_of_Henniker View Post
    ... This will get done before spring departure.
    Pun intended?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged