User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Yellowstone visit

Hi all. new to the forum. Just purchased a 2930 Last February, planning a trip from Pittsburgh to Yellowstone next spring. If anyone could give some suggestions, on what rout we should take and places to stop along the way. Thanks Ed

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. We are also from just north of Pittsburgh. What area of PGH are you from?

It’s been many years since we have been to Yellowstone, and the only thing that I remember is that you’ll want to make your reservations as far in advance as you can. They book up early. Also, as I remember, there are size limitations if you have a larger rig, but I believe that there are some private campgrounds near the entrances.

Enjoy your trip.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed here https://yellowstonesedgervpark.com/park-facilities/ and here http://innonthegallatin.com/?utm_sou...edium=referral in 2019. Yellowstone's Edge is kinda close quarters and depending on the site, there can be road noise. Inn On The Gallatin is small and just off the road, but traffic at night was light. Site length was a bit of an issue when we called for reservations and they had to move us around. There are lots of recommendations on this and other forums within Yellowstone - do a search.

Because we were in Montana for a wedding, we chose to be outside the park for an easier commute to Bozeman and Gallatin for the wedding festivities. On the way out, we spent several days in Custer SD (Rafter J Bar Ranch https://www.rafterj.com/ ). State Park reservations were tough to come by given it was high season, so we ended up in private campgrounds for most of the journey.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, this is somewhat off topic so, apologies.
    An article I read yesterday noted that with the park closed, the bears just out of hibernation have been free of traffic and people. The Ranger said "The bears are having a party".
    Yogi and BooBoo, free at last.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eleosky View Post
    Hi all. new to the forum. Just purchased a 2930 Last February, planning a trip from Pittsburgh to Yellowstone next spring. If anyone could give some suggestions, on what rout we should take and places to stop along the way. Thanks Ed
    Hi Ed,

The last time we were at Yellowstone we stayed at the Fishing Bridge campground. The sites were close together, probably the closest that we have ever stayed at. But we didn’t spend a lot of time there, we were out seeing the sights and hiking. It is pretty centrally located which is really nice.

I second Rafter J Bar Ranch. The Black Hills are definitely worth a few days.

Have a great trip!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    Hi Ed,

The last time we were at Yellowstone we stayed at the Fishing Bridge campground. The sites were close together, probably the closest that we have ever stayed at. But we didn’t spend a lot of time there, we were out seeing the sights and hiking. It is pretty centrally located which is really nice.

I second Rafter J Bar Ranch. The Black Hills are definitely worth a few days.

Have a great trip!

Mark
    We toured Fishing Bridge prior to making plans for our big Yellowstone trip a couple of years ago. We didn't like the look of it. Too close together, stacked like at a drive in movie.

We stayed 4 days outside the west side of Yellowstone at Grizzly RV park. Great location for visiting the west/north sides of the park, just outside west entrance. Then we moved into Grant for 4 days (dry camping, and max size of trailer is 30') And they mean it. Good for central and south end of park. Then we went to Grand Tetons for 5 days.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, We are located east of you in Allegheny Township, we have a Leechburg Address, Also how do you get the map of the US to show places you have been to? Ed

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, We are located east of you in Allegheny Township, we have a Leechburg Address, Also how do you get the map of the US to show places you have been to? Ed

There is a post on the forum that I found. I believe I used the search term “Map” or something similar. This is the link that I used to generate the map, then you export/import it to your profile.
    https://visitedstatesmap.com/view-ma...w_map=DRAW+MAP

I don’t remember all of the details, but the post on the forum was pretty easy to follow.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My standard advice about Yellowstone NP:
    - The roads in the park are laid out in a figure "8" and there aren't good ways around traffic issues
    - Assume your average speed driving from point A to point B in the park will be 20 MPH
    - Depending on what you're trying to see, you might want to go to the areas with smaller parking lots early. Especially true if you have a big-ish tow vehicle.
    - If you're going for thermal features, I'd suggest staying in West Yellowstone, MT. Grizzly RV park is big, but was nice when we stayed there 2 years ago.
    -- The big thermal feature line runs from Norris Geyser Basin to the Old Faithful area. (There are more, of course- further south/east is Geyser basin, and across the middle of the figure 8 are features as well- but if you're shooting for efficiency, that west line will be the best bang for your buck.)
    - Plan on being stuck in a Bear/Elk/Bison/Other Wildlife traffic jam at some point. For us, it was the road out of the park every night where the elk herd hung out.
    - Finally, remember that National Parks are natural Covid-19 breeding grounds. Everyone tends to be pushed to the same place, etc. Be safe.
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI - to add the map to your signature, you must be a paid member.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast