User Tag List

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at Buffalo Crossing in West Yellowstone MT. GREAT park. Reservations do not go live until next April

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got back from our Grand Teton/Yellowstone/Glacier NP vacation (came back a day early to beat the snow storm). We took 4 weeks to do the trip from Fort Collins. Colorado. We stayed 5 nights at Coulter Bay RV Park (I made reservations in October for August), 5 nights at Henry's Lake State Park (made reservations in November), 6 nights at West Glacier KOA (made reservations in January). We also had 4 nights at Lewis & Clark Cavern's State Park in Montana and 3 nights (planned 4) at Perry's RV Park in Red Lodge, MT, along with a few 1 or 2 nights at RV parks as we moved around. All of the campgrounds/RV parks were fine.
    Here is my summary;

Rock Springs KOA (WY) - 2 nights - we had an end site (separate category) - worth the upgrade in my opinion, it gave us more space, unfortunately it was windy so we couldn't take as much advantage of it as desired

Colter Bay RV Park (in Grand Teton NP) - 5 nights - loved the trees, trailer spacing is tight, but it worked, no campfires, we went up to Old Faithful one day, drove through Headwaters at Flagg Ranch campground - would have made a longer drive for Grand Teton, but if you wanted one site for both Grand Teton and Yellowstone, it would work, more space in the campsites, drier and dustier, had trees but more open than Colter Bay

Henry's Lake State Park - 5 nights - open with no trees, we had a site with a great view of the lake/slough, we got to see the view for 1.5 days before the smoke from the California fires rolled in, then it was a much more closed in, muted view, I recommend a site on the lake side - we were in Caddis loop, there are a few sites that have sewer, but you don't get as nice a view, it was about 17 miles from West Yellowstone - give all the driving you have to do in Yellowstone, it was acceptable

Lewis & Clark Cavern's State Park (ID) - 4 nights - open with just a few trees, we had a tree for some shade, take the cavern tour (limited to the short tour due to covid this year), we went into Butte to Uptown Cafe for our anniversary dinner - great meal,

West Glacier KOA - 6 nights - very nice KOA, spacing good, especially for a KOA, well maintained, we had a grass site, but if you could get a landscape site, you would have more privacy, bushes between sites, the grass sites seemed to be about 80-85' long and the landscape sites were about 70' long. I think the website limits the landscape to 35' or less, but I feel we could have gotten our 310 Solitude in there. They also have patio sites for more money and an area of woods, but you can't have slideouts in those sites. We didn't use the pools, but they were very nice. Fortunately the smoke did not follow us up to Glacier, so we had a good time viewing the mountains and hiking.

North Helena KOA (MT) - 1 night - just traveling through - windy, KOA was fine

Perry's RV & Campground, Red Lodge, MT - 3 nights (we had planned 4 but left a day early to beat the weather home) - we got the best site (42), along the creek with a larger area for the table & campfire, Rock Creek was beautiful and the site was in the trees next to the creek, most of the sites are close to each other and some of the sites are up along the road and not down by the creek, as I said, we were lucky and it was beautiful, they were nice about us leaving early and returned our money for the last night

Eagle RV Park, Thermopolis, WY - 1 night - traveling though - they were able to move our reservation up a day even though it was Labor Day weekend (from Monday night to Sunday night), the spot we had was just gravel and off to the side, but still full hookup, small campground, but nice, most sites had grass & trees

We had a good trip. There was a lot of people, primarily an issue for finding parking for hiking. But in the end we got to do everything we wanted.

People were pretty good about mask wearing. We wore masks indoors and almost everyone else did too. Outside, if a number of people congregated in an area (Old Faithful, view points, etc.) most people wore masks, but not everyone. On the trails, we didn't wear masks because passing was brief. Most people didn't wear masks on the trails, but some people did. We did notice on the way home that people do not wear masks in Wyoming.

Karen
    Last edited by CoChris; 09-09-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's great information, Karen. I will save this post for next year when we're planning the trip. Let's hope there are no CA fires. Of course, here in CA somethings always on fire. This is great information. What was the drive from Yellowstone to Glacier like?
    Thanks again.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Papa View Post
    Wow, that's great information, Karen. I will save this post for next year when we're planning the trip. Let's hope there are no CA fires. Of course, here in CA somethings always on fire. This is great information. What was the drive from Yellowstone to Glacier like?
    Thanks again.
    In general the roads were good, with one exception (Hwy 206 near Glacier - see details). Traffic was very light for almost all of the trip. Wind can be a issue (not a serious problem, but does not make for a relaxing drive). Smoke was never an issue for driving (good visibility).

We broke the drive up with the stop in Lewis & Clark Cavern's State Park. Driving straight would be a little over 400 miles. The drive from Henry's Lake State Park to Lewis & Clark Cavern's State Park was an easy 100 miles pretty much straight up Hwy 287 then Hwy 2 for last few miles. Good road (2 lane highway), very light traffic. Easy drive.

From
    Lewis & Clark Cavern's to West Glacier KOA was a little over 300 miles. Hyw 2 (to I90) West of Lewis & Clark Cavern's is a short (15 mile?) but beautiful drive along the river. But there is no shoulder and is cut right into the rock hill side. About 5 miles are tight and twisty and could be an issue towing a trailer if meeting a large oncoming load. We had no problems (traffic was very light to non-existent in this area) and traveled this stretch with and without the trailer multiple time. Just be aware and take your time.
    We stayed on I-90 as long as we could (Google wants to route you up Hyw 12 then 141 from garrison) but I prefer the interstate. And yes, I tow at 65 MPH (and stay in the right lane). Left I90 at Wye and took Hwy 93 up to Flathead Lake (very good road, nice drive). We took 93 around the West side of Flathead Lake. Google wanted to route us up 35 on the East side of the lake, but we liked the looks of the 93 (aerial view) and our Garmin put us around the West side. 93 was great. Good condition, wide, lots of passing lanes. Lots of up and down hills, an exhaust brake is your best friend (but that applies to most of the trip ).

Here, I would change my route if doing it again. At the North end of the lake we took 82 East and then hooked up with 35 North. That is all fine. but then took 206 to Hwy 2. This a very very rough, narrow (lanes and no shoulder) 10 mile stretch of road. we then caught Hyw 2 into West Glacier (good road).
    To do it again, at the North end of the lake I would stay on 93 into Kalispell then take Hwy 2 into West Glacier. I have been on Hwy 2 from Kalispell to West Glacier and it is very good road. I have not been on 93 from the lake to Kalispell.

Again, this is a pretty easy tow. Lots of up and down hills (an exhaust brake is a great help - but not required). I tow at a MAX of 65 MPH (the speed limit in a lot of areas is 80 MPH and drives do far more than that - you will get passed, a lot). I am on vacation and fine with that, just watch your mirrors. On two lane roads, there were enough passing lanes this was never a major issue. In strong (especially gusty) cross winds SLOW DOWN even more. Relax and enjoy. This is an absolutely beautiful part of the country (in my opinion
    )

Hope this helps

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much again. I plan on this trip next summer with perhaps 2 other rigs. My grand-kids and daughter and son-in-law and perhaps his parents so we can't do too many miles with kids from 7-16 so will be looking for stops. I think 300 miles is possible given straight driving at 65. I can look up web sites about campgrounds and sights but the information you provide is detailed and very informative. If you're ever towing into the Palm Springs area and want to come at prime time in the winter I have a spot with full hookups at my home next to the mountains and NO SNOW and lots of sunshine and I"d love to repay the courtesy.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got back two weeks ago from a month split between Tetons in Wyoming and Yellowstone park. Colter Bay village RV was great, lots of trees, rustic with full hookups. Book now for next year. We spent time in Yellowstone park staying at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone, great RV park, again book now. Each area is phenomenal in it own way. Tetons with the mountains towering over the valley with the Snake river and Jackson Lake is nothing short of majestic. Yellowstone park is phenomenal due to the wild life, fumaroles, mud pots, hot pools and of course waterfalls.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...2nd attempt to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. We will be traveling the month of September 2022.
    2 years later then originally planned but, we are finally going! Original trip taken out by kidney stones and covid, while in good health and still in good health. (See previous posts)
    We were able to schedule 9 nights at Fishing Bridge, staying in the new section with the wider sites. Nightly rate of $83. Full Hook Ups. Likely no cable or internet, not sure, still ok with me. Maybe someone here knows.
    Will post updates. Got an entire year to plan.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011