User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone towing a 22MLE with a F150 2.7 EB

Long story short (I hope) I've owned a few F150 in the past and they all had the max tow and max payload package and tow mirrors but I never really had a real need for all that. My work change quite a bit last year and I started doing lots of mileage. My regular gas monthly budget is now up to $900/mth so when I traded in my reliable 2010 F150 this past Sept. I opted for the F150 short bed 2.7 EB, 3.55, regular tow package, no payload, no tow mirrors (I really miss these BTW). My goal was gas mileage savings.
    2 summers ago we rented a little 18ft hybrid and toured the entire Canadian Maritime for 5 weeks. What a trip and experience that was. Completely feel in love with RVing, being in a different place all the time.
    Anyway, we've been casually shopping, looking at floor plans and doing RV shows and now we just signed the papers to a 2020 22MLE and I'm now worried about towing.
    According to the numbers I can tow it but I really dont like being border line but I'm stuck with this truck for a couple of years at least. (wow talk about world-class problems)

Is there anyone on here towing similar weight with a 2.7l Eco boost?
    I havent taken delivery yet because of COVID-19 so I could always cancel the deal I guess but I'd rather not too.
    recommendations, comments, suggestions?

Here are some numbers
    Truck max tow is 7,600 lbs, payload (from the door sticker) 1,426 lbs, GCWR 12,900 I read somewhere that the Weight Distribution max tongue load is 1,320 lbs
    Trailer UVW is 5176lbs, hitch weight (dry I imaging) is 490lbs, GVWR is 6995lbs
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much weight will be in the truck? GD’s published empty weights are often too low. I would guess that unit will weigh 5500lbs when delivered, with 13% of that on the tongue that’s 700lbs. Once you load up for camping you might be around 800 on the tongue. If you have a big family you might run out of payload.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its just DW and I. In the truck I'll have the 3000w inverter gen, tool bag and cooler. That's pretty much it. People weight close to 375. Don't tell DW I said that or that I'm 200
    I'm just check to see if I'm the only guy attempting to pull that weight with a F150 Eco boost.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our 22MLE with a Tundra and have no issues, your eco boost has similar power numbers to our V8 but you reach full torque at a lower RPM (more like a diesel) so I think you will have a good towing experience.
    It should definitely do the job (based on the numbers) and if you want a stronger platform later you can always move up.
    I am not saying there are not better towing options out there but we use our truck as a daily driver 95% of the time and wanted comfort when not towing also and are happy.
    The 22MLE is a great floor plan I would not pass on.
    2020 IMAGINE XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, We're really looking forward to taking delivery of the 22MLE. It took us a long time to decide on a floor plan. The F150 is also my daily regular ride.
    I guess I'm a little paranoid now having the numbers close to the truck's max rating.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'm a little paranoid now having the numbers close to the truck's max rating.
    I'm right there with you Ynot. I have 2018 Lariat 2.7 and was looking at 23BHE and got a bit concerned with getting real close to max GCWR; I'm looking at the 21BHE but I'm bummed to lose the 23BHE design.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daduck99 View Post
    I'm right there with you Ynot. I have 2018 Lariat 2.7 and was looking at 23BHE and got a bit concerned with getting real close to max GCWR; I'm looking at the 21BHE but I'm bummed to lose the 23BHE design.
    I would not rule out the 23bhe too quickly as its comparable to our 22mle. I have not picked up our 22mle yet so I cant comment on personal experiences just yet but I have been asking around people I know who tow, this forum and Ford forum and all seems I'll be ok as long as I dont go crazy with loading and payload. DW will have to sacrifice some shoes. Lol We are planning our smackdown/shackdown trip for early June. If we can pick it up in time of course. I plan to load our geny, some tools, food, close, full lp tanks and full water for a good test. We are staying within 1 hr of the dealer and 1.5 hrs from home for 5 days doing a mix of dry camping and full hookups. On our way there we will be going on a CAT scale for some measurements. I'll report back on our experience and driving experience and numbers. We have some good hill climbs but nothing like the Canadian Rockies. Boy we cant wait. Signed the papers 2 months ago on a unit on the lot but things lock down right after. Ah well, good things comes to those who wait some say.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway J&L’s GD22MLE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just picked up our 22MLE Saturday. We have a 2016 F150 max tow with 3.5 echoboost. When mine was at the Ford dealer about a year ago they gave me a 2019 F150 2.7. I was super impressed with the power of the 2.7. I really doubt you’ll have any problem with towing a 22MLE. All the best enjoy.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&L’s GD22MLE View Post
    We just picked up our 22MLE Saturday. We have a 2016 F150 max tow with 3.5 echoboost. When mine was at the Ford dealer about a year ago they gave me a 2019 F150 2.7. I was super impressed with the power of the 2.7. I really doubt you’ll have any problem with towing a 22MLE. All the best enjoy.
    Thanks and congrats on your new addition. We're still anxiously waiting for that phone call. Lol

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&L’s GD22MLE View Post
    Please let me know how it goes with your tt.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE