Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popping Sounds

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Popping Sounds

I’ve had my 384 GKR for about 2 years. Recently I’ve been hearing popping sounds that seem to come from the forward frame area or hydraulics (fluid level ok). They occur in the morning and in the evening. They can be induced by movement inside but also go off randomly on their own—like when we’re outside and no one is inside. Could this just be the sound of metal warming in the morning and cooling in the evening? Or something else? Seems odd to just suddenly start now. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 GMC 3500 HD Denali

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you visit Lippert’s site and look up support documents for your system you’ll find a TSB about adding fork oil to stop or reduce the popping sounds.

I just did this on my own and 18’ solitude and it resolved my issue.
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mraplx View Post
    If you visit Lippert’s site and look up support documents for your system you’ll find a TSB about adding fork oil to stop or reduce the popping sounds.

I just did this on my own and 18’ solitude and it resolved my issue.
    Could you be more specific on where to find this tsb, I just checked lippert site and couldn’t find it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing on my rig. I used the Caterpillar additive. It wasn't cheap but it made the hydraulic creep go away.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here ya go

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popping Lippert Service Bulletin Leveling System.pdf 
Views:	112 
Size:	504.4 KB 
ID:	26128
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I did the same thing on my rig. I used the Caterpillar additive. It wasn't cheap but it made the hydraulic creep go away.
    @wannabervin +1 Another recommendation from me for the CAT fluid. When I was researching this problem over a year ago I found a handful of reports from people who had used one of the other recommended fluids and had to re-do the project after a while; I think one of them was only months later. If you google you can likely find reports of that problem.

I used the CAT fluid and no noises at all since. I don't work for CAT or have anything at all to gain by recommending the product.
    Last edited by boyscout; 04-23-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CAT here too!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do a google search for CAT dealers in your area. Any of them should have it in stock, and it's less than $30. Once and done.

It looks like we may have two of the jacks leaking now on one side, so I'm starting to look into replacing them.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Grand Design owners. I have a question regarding the popping sound. Does this mean that any system with the popping sound is having a leak down issue. I do not have the popping sound, but a day or two after leveling, the kitchen side feels like it has lost some of its height and is out of level.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdp2966 View Post
    Hello Grand Design owners. I have a question regarding the popping sound. Does this mean that any system with the popping sound is having a leak down issue. I do not have the popping sound, but a day or two after leveling, the kitchen side feels like it has lost some of its height and is out of level.
    That's a tough one to answer... "...the kitchen side feels like it has lost some of its height and is out of level...". Does it 'feel' out of level or 'is' it level?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy. It's just that sometimes I think I need reliever and when I check everything is fine.

Still, I suppose it is possible that a hydraulic cylinder can leak and not make noise. But I think if one side is dropping then more than one cylinder has to leak; and I suppose there is a valve somewhere that controls each side. Not sure where that leaves us but here is a suggestion... first, check for level and when you think you might be low on one side, check for level again; if unleveled then something needs to be addressed that the fluid we're talking about won't fix.

Even when I had a clicking sound prior to adding the fluid nothing ever got lower on the rig that required releveling.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast