User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lithium battery replacement

I am planning to replace my AGM battery with 2 Battleborn lithium batteries. Has anyone done the same? Where did you place the batteries? There is a tub for 1 battery on my 337RLS. I would like a cleaner look and place them both together. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Ray @ loveyourrv.com he’s done it and has a lot of good info on his website.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuess View Post
    I am planning to replace my AGM battery with 2 Battleborn lithium batteries. Has anyone done the same? Where did you place the batteries?
    I replaced my two lead acid batteries with Lion Energy UT1300 LiFePO4 batteries. I would have preferred getting Battleborn because they have a better post design but switching batteries is kind of an experiment for me and the Lion Energy batteries were on sale for $250 less than Battleborns. In addition to the batteries, you really should get a new converter/charger that is optimized for LiPePO4 batteries. I got the model most folks here on the forum get - a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV.

As for where I placed the batteries - I turned mine 90 degrees from where the dealer had them in the front compartment and tucked them up close to the curb side wall. This just freed up the most space for my needs. You can put the batteries anywhere you want - even sideways or upside down.

Since LiFePO4 batteries need no venting, I removed the top of the battery boxes and all the vent tubes. I then cut a couple inches off the lower section of the battery boxes and put the foam insert that my batteries were shipped in in the battery box and then set the batteries in the boxes on top of the foam insert. I have battery tie down straps on order and will secure the batteries once they arrive.

I replaced all the battery wiring and added a battery cutoff switch as well as a Victron Energy BMV-712 battery monitor and shunt. I also added positive and negative distribution blocks to clean up the wiring.

What I love about this upgrade is I doubled my battery capacity, have no need to vent the batteries and no need to check water levels. And most importantly, the batteries have a good BMS (battery management system) that protects them against over/under charging and has a low temp cutoff.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^This. you don't need the battery boxes or the vent hoses anymore. Put them where it is convenient for you. Mine are where @bertschb 's are , next to the curbside wall in the front compartment.

I bought two Lion lithiums to replace my two 6v batteries and with the current doubling of my amp hours now I don't need to check anything else battery wise for another 8-10 years. Having a decent battery monitor will give you peace of mind but more batteries is more betterer. Do yourself a favor and replace the stock converter with either an inverter/charger or a PD9160ALV. It will charger faster and more fully than a standard lead acid converter.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    As for where I placed the batteries - I turned mine 90 degrees from where the dealer had them in the front compartment and tucked them up close to the curb side wall. This just freed up the most space for my needs. You can put the batteries anywhere you want - even sideways or upside down.

Since LiFePO4 batteries need no venting, I removed the top of the battery boxes and all the vent tubes. I then cut a couple inches off the lower section of the battery boxes and put the foam insert that my batteries were shipped in in the battery box and then set the batteries in the boxes on top of the foam insert. I have battery tie down straps on order and will secure the batteries once they arrive.

I replaced all the battery wiring and added a battery cutoff switch as well as a Victron Energy BMV-712 battery monitor and shunt. I also added positive and negative distribution blocks to clean up the wiring.
    Would you have any photos of your setup? Sounds like exactly what I want to do. I am also intending to get the Victron Energy BMV-712 battery monitor.

2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you have any photos of your setup?
    I'm going out to the RV lot in a little bit to replace the flexible braided hose and plastic check valve on the water heater. I'll take some pics while I'm there and post them here in a few hours when I return. Mine is NOTHING compared to some crazy solar/battery setups that others on this forum have. But, it's way better than what came from the dealer. I actually got my dealer to give me a $100 credit for each of the lead acid batteries they installed when I took delivery. Dropped the price of my LiFePO4 batteries to $599ea!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning to replace my AGM battery with 2 Battleborn lithium batteries. Has anyone done the same? Where did you place the batteries? There is a tub for 1 battery on my 337RLS. I would like a cleaner look and place them both together. Any ideas?

I just replaced my battery in my 2020 337 with two battleborn and working on installing battery monitor, inverter and solar. You will also need to replace your conveter. You can get the batteries, battery monitor and converter direct from battle born. I also bought a set of 1’ 1/0 cables from them to connect the batteries together. Nice high quality cables. Battle Born was great to deal with and shipped fast. I bought from Battle Born because I figured that if there were any warranty issues down the road I would not have any middle men to deal with.

I built my battery holder out of wood for my two Battle Born batteries. I remove the factory battery and left the factory recessed battery box in place. I took a piece of hard construction foam and cut it to go over the factory battery box and large enough to hold two batteries. This will provide some insulation for the bottom of the batteries. I then cut a piece of 1/2 plywood to go over the foam, took 1x2 Popular with wide side down and made rectangles attached to the plywood for the batteries to sit in. Put d-rings on the ends of the rectangles for straps to hold the batteries down then bolted the whole thing to the metal floor of the front compartment. The result is an insulated solid mount for my batteries. I would post pictures but I have never been able to post pictures on this forum. If you want to contact me privately through the forum and send me an email address I will take pictures and send them to you.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going out to the RV lot in a little bit to replace the flexible braided hose and plastic check valve on the water heater. I'll take some pics while I'm there and post them here in a few hours when I return. Mine is NOTHING compared to some crazy solar/battery setups that others on this forum have. But, it's way better than what came from the dealer. I actually got my dealer to give me a $100 credit for each of the lead acid batteries they installed when I took delivery. Dropped the price of my LiFePO4 batteries to $599ea!
    Actually, Brian & Kellie, a setup that is less "crazy" is what many of us are looking for. I have a new (to me) 2015 337RLS; it makes no sense at my age to spend the kind of money some of these guys are for systems like that. An intelligent, well put together system is what we are all looking for, that won't break the bank. We'd love pictures, if you could manage. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jefferson Beifuss; 04-23-2020 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine is NOTHING compared to some crazy solar/battery setups that others on this forum have. But, it's way better than what came from the dealer.
    That’s why I asked you for pics. I’m not ready to go crazy with a solar setup. As it is I’m spending a lot. Battleborn is selling the batteries at $899/ea and $185 for the 712 monitor. Sticking with stock converter temporarily until I decide whether I’m going with just a converter or investing in an inverter. Pocketbook limitations.

2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson Beifuss View Post
    Actually, Brian & Kellie, a setup that is less "crazy" is what many of us are looking for. I have a new (to me) 2015 337RLS; it makes no sense at my age to spend the kind of money some of these guys are for systems like that. An intelligent, well put together system is what we are all looking for, that won't break the bank. We'd love pictures, if you could manage. Thanks!
    Not sure if it's intelligent or well put together but I'm sure others will chime in if it isn't :-)

My rig has the factory 300w solar system along with a 2,000w factory inverter. But those items don't really add any complexity to my system as far as cleaning up and simplifying the wiring in the front compartment which was a MESS after the dealer was done with it. One of my battery posts had 5 wires on it when my RV was delivered! Now, with the exception of the small monitoring wires that go to the BMV-712, each battery post has just one wire. That was my goal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310GK-R Battery wiring.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	26153
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups: