Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 GM Duramax 3500 with factory tow prep, electrical issues

Good morning, I bought a new momentum 395 at thanksgiving last year. parked it and tried to hook it up a few weeks ago for test run on the new 2020 Chevy.
    I cannot get the truck to recognize the new trailer. It was doing funky things directional flashing too fast or not working at all. Message telling me their was a brake system problem. Any ideas?
    Last edited by screamineagle; 04-23-2020 at 10:17 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
    Good morning, I bought a new momentum 395 at thanksgiving last year. parked it and tried to hook it up a few weeks ago for test run on the new 2020 Chevy.
    I cannot get the truck to recognize the new trailer. It was doing funky things directional flashing too fast or not working at all. Message telling me their was a brake system problem. Any ideas?
    I would start with the ground connection between the trailer 7 way plug and the trailer chassis. Typically trailer running lights use the chassis as the return path. New trucks with the integrated brake controllers also tend to be quite finicky about poor electrical connections.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic, did you get a SRW or DRW?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotime4 View Post
    Off topic, did you get a SRW or DRW?
    Ours is a 2017 GMC DRW.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely an electrical issue. As was pointed out check the 7 pin on both the truck and trailer sidecar wired correctly.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A buddy of mine had the same issue. He had to use something like this... https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../T4845900.html

Do you have disc brakes? it seems to happen more often with those than with standard drum brakes.

GM owners of the 2014 vintage range had to use them. Then they got fixed around 2016 or 2017. i guess the let that engineer go and the new engineer went back to the old ways????
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 as well, and these trucks do not like to have the trailer plugged in while running or still powered. Need to turn the truck off and let it go to sleep (2 minutes I believe) before plugging in...PITA...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that sounds like its a PITA but if it works.
    Its funny, the dealer spent 3 hours on this when we took delivery but I am not sure what the truck status was. All I know is when I drive it seems like it starts working. Do you have the camera system in yours?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
    Thanks, that sounds like its a PITA but if it works.
    Its funny, the dealer spent 3 hours on this when we took delivery but I am not sure what the truck status was. All I know is when I drive it seems like it starts working. Do you have the camera system in yours?
    I have the camera system but not the invisible trailer setup (5th wheel is too long). The lights, cameras (side view, turn signal operated ones) and TPMS sensors do funky things if plugged in when running.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I have the same thing. When I am towing and turn right it shows the right side of the trailer when I am turning left the screen is black. does your do the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast