User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Great Escape

Input on Extended Warranty

We are nearing the end of the factory warranty. This is our first 5th wheel and wonder if the warranties are worth the cost at $2000 for 5 years & $100 deductible. They seem to have a lot of limitations as well. Please share any experience with them.
    Thanks Great Escape

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have Atwood appliances on our Reflection 337RLS. I just did a quick check on the web. A refrigerator can be purchased for about $1k. An AC unit for about $500. So if both of those went out, I'd have to spend $1500 to purchase new ones. That does not include labor to install them. I think it's unlikely that both units would go out completely and not be repairable. It does give peace of mind when you're on the road. If you do purchase one, make sure you understand the rules you must follow to get approval before any work is performed or you'll be eating the repair cost out of pocket.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO... I would get consequential damage as part of the policy if you get one. You will probably have to ask for it. If they do not have it I would find one that does. Like Tucson Jim said, extended warrantee gives peace of mind when out and about .it is a gamble really, it could pay for it self, or you spent that money for no reason, but to have peace of mind that it is there if you needed it. I know people who do not have them, they bank the money for when they need it. I tend not to go that route for me, I would probably bank it for a year and nothing breaks and stop putting money in, and 4 months later something big breaks and I do not have enough or depleted it all on one fix . It all depends on what you want and what makes you sleep good and not worry. At over $100.00 an hour for labor and what parts cost these days, and all the stuff that (could) go wrong in a week, or a month. I want a peace of mind, and peace in the trailer, not having my teenagers complaining to me it is to hot or cold or what ever, cause something is not working. Suppose to be fun and relaxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we went for the extended warranties from the very beginning. To busy to make repairs and such. I am an HVAC mechanic and I can do all the work myself, I just do not have the time and the indoor facilities to do the work away from the elements. Warranty is for us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AL and Holly
    355TH Momentum, #00811, 2014
    GMC Sierra, 3500HD, SRW, Diesel 2014

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I hate to admit it but I did buy a 5 year extended service contract on this unit. It was $1,700 and actually a little misleading. The plan is 5 years but the first year runs concurrent to the 1 year factory warranty so I'm not sure how worth it that is? I decided to purchase it because GD is still such a new company. I did have a couple of major problems with my last trailer after the 1 year ran out on it so I decided to get it. We'll see if it proves to be the correct decision. On the other hand, I would love to look back in 5 years and say I never needed it
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WRT Poppy's reply . . .
    Same logic, decision and cost here . . . and hope that I never have to use it.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had extended warranties on my past two campers and on the first camper it more than paid for itself, the second one I lost a little, but I did buy it on this one because repairs are so expensive on these units. It is always a gamble but I think it is a good idea becasue of all the vibration on the road if traveling a lot. Things just seem to break especially the electronic items.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got our 337 RLS in early June last year. We purchased the extended warranty more because Grand Design is so new. Based on the issues we've had so far, that may turn out to have been a good decision.
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab