User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defender m/s no longer....

I have been looking to get new tires for my 2007 Silverado 2500HD TD. 245/75r16 We are going to be pulling a Reflection 287 RLTS, and the trucks current tires have a couple with slow leaks. I was doing online research and came across the Michelin Defender M/S, which seemed like a good match for us. We want to be able to dry camp, but not always. We need to be able to go anywhere in the country and may hit occasional snow or ice, and want something that could deal with that. ( my wife is going to be a travel nurse, so while we will try to follow good weather, it may not always be possible). The tires on the truck now are some older cooper AT 2 OR 3 and they are kinda loud, I was hoping for something with less noise, but the ability to dry camp, and make it through rough weather is more of a priority for us. I have come across HANKOOK
    DYNAPRO AT2 RF11, GRABBER A/TX. Looking to find a safe AT 3pmsf tire, that will tow well, handle off road and if possible with low noise, that doesn't break the bank, preferably under 200 each. I know I'm asking for a lot. Any help would be appreciated.
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had put some HANKOOK tires on an old van we had. They weren't as big as the tires you would put on your truck but I was quite impressed with them. They weren't expensive which is always a plus but they wore well and were great in the snow. I have had Coopers before and the HANKOOKS were not noisy like the Coopers were. I thought they were a smoother ride too.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had Hankook Dynapros on my last truck. Came from the factory. I started out thinking I’d replace them as soon as I could with something else, but ended up replacing them with another set of the of the same tires at 63,000 miles. They were probably 3-5000 miles past when they should have been replaced because of tread wear, but since I could choose to stick to driving it in dry weather they were fine.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after a lot more research, it looks like I'm going to give General's A/TX a try. The Hankooks look good to, but after going through endless reviews and then looking at the comparison chart on Tirerack, they seem like a good choice. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the feedback, stay safe!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those generals reviews are a little too new to trust. I have Defender M/S on two vehicles and they are great. Solid mpg, good ride, LONG tread life and better in the snow than you would expect. Weak points are deep mud and they hold gravel till the tread wears down some. Not the manliest looking tire on the block but probably the best, especially on a tow vehicle.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The m+s defenders were my first choice, until I found out they stopped making them for my truck. After looking at many reviews, the grabbers came up as a reasonably priced tire, with what looks to be great performance. Yes the reviews are new, as is the latest version of the tire. There are a lot of reviews on youtube etc for these tires as well, I never rely on one source of information.
    Last edited by Saxdaddy; 04-28-2020 at 01:11 AM. Reason: need to add more info

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have defenders on both my wife's SUV and my Ford truck. Hands down the best tires I've had. Excellent in the snow, great traction in both deep snow and icy roads. Good dry traction and great on wet, rainy roads. Hands down beats the BF Goodrich T/A'S and the Generrals that I've had. One of the reasons I like them so much is that I dont have to switch tires each season. As long as they make them for my 2004 F250 I will continue to buy them without hesitation. We are on our second sets of them.