User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarasplc View Post
    Had similar problem. I'm to short to reach the handle. Got a GREAT product called "Hitch Mate". Hangs off the rear tire and gives you a step to reach the handle.
    Kind of like this.........I love mine
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta2.0 View Post
    Like its not even back there. I've made the statement to my wife, "if I couldn't see it (the 5er) I wouldn't know it was back there". 3500 DRW is definitely the truck for me.
    I'm guessing that you are being a little over-enthusiastic about the truck, and that's OK, but if you truly can't tell that a 16,800 lb GVWR trailer is being towed, well......I don't know what to tell you!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was said it another thread that people seem to be loyal to their hitches (sometimes to the exclusion of all others). I have a new truck coming and the old hitch won't fit. I'm just thinking out loud here so chime in if I say something stupid.

I can't say I had any complaints with the Reese Elite, but I think I can do better this time. I was looking at the Hensley Trailer Savers. I like the idea of an air ride hitch and the Hensley seems to be pretty well built. One thing that caught my attention though is that they don't reference any standards that they meet (like SAE J2638). I know standards aren't everything, but they are something. Also, the BD5 is rated at 28k and a pin weight of 5k. That's only 17% or so, and that doesn't add up to me. Not saying it's a bad hitch, but...

The other contender for me is the B&W Companion. It has a long track record of very happy customers and they advertise they meet J2638. The pin weights and trailer weights match up at 25% It is a two jaw setup which in my mind is the key to the unhitching problem. (That's also how the heavy trucks are set up) Nylon bushings and all that to quiet the creaking and banging, etc... But it's not an air ride hitch... Ugh!

What I have seen in the big truck world is that a rigid fifth wheel on a full air ride suspension is what works, because the suspension is matched to the load of the day. I'm not sure any more that air ride hitch is the answer.

Just my ramblings... Thanks for reading.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to be in a very small minority, but have a Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 and a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099 in my 2016 3500 Ram and I love it. Relatively easy to install and remove as no part weighs more than 70 pounds. With the integral sumo springs it gives a very smooth ride going down the road. I have never had a problem hooking or unhooking. Another benefit is that you do not need a lube plate. My 28BH only weighs about 11,500 pounds loaded so I am nowhere near the 20k max that it is rated for.
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been having my Curt Q20 for a little over 3 yrs. A little finikey at first because I was taking too much weight off the fifth wheel plate. No gap and a little weight left on and the jaws release easily. Keep the fittings greased and the hitch works great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bogue chitto 4-20-18 005.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	26895
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345