User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was concerned about the trans temp also, I asked Ford and was told the fluid and trans designs have evolved over the years along. The new fluids that can run much hotter(I think it's 250-275 max).
    My F350 doesn't have a trans cooler in front of or behind the radiator.
    The first part of this video shows the downhill run, maybe you'll know where they are, in the beginning they show a sign for the pass. It's not as good as a diesel but still respectable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a 2020 F350 Tremor 7.3 this week and signed on a 311BHS today and also live in CO. For those espousing low costs of diesel: the difference between the 7.3 and 6.7 on a brand-new truck is $8000 just for the diesel option. Diesels invariably require more expensive parts when they need maintenance, and at least at this time even the fuel is more expensive. None of this should be up for debate. Yes they’re very good at certain tasks.

So let’s math this out: if over 100,000 miles I average 8 mpg with the Tremor, I’m putting 12,500 gallons of gas in the truck. If we keep our low fuel prices for the next few years - let’s assume a $2/g average for a moment - I’m spending $25k on fuel.

If I went with a 6.7 however, I’m starting in a -$8k hole, and only gradually climb my way out, if ever. Assuming 100% better fuel economy - 16 mpg - and let’s call it a 20% premium for diesel over gas over this period - then while I’m only consuming 6,250 gallons @ $2.40/g average, resulting in $15,000 for fuel costs - on the face of things I made that -$8k back and then some!

But we’re not taking into account failed and expensive diesel injectors, failed and expensive cab-off-frame required repairs, turbo replacements, and all other manner of nasty and expensive things that can happen with a diesel. On top of that having another 800 lbs on the nose is going to incur more wear on suspension and tires as well. Fuel filters, DEF, and more also adds up. So that +$2k surplus after 100k miles evaporates quickly.

Bottom line I expect the 7.3 to be up to the task (even while averaging a whopping ~11.5 mpg empty at 75-85 highway speeds so far) and if I want to get weird I can bolt on the Whipple or Procharger options once they’re available. Plus it sounds great.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tremek View Post
    I picked up a 2020 F350 Tremor 7.3 this week and signed on a 311BHS today and also live in CO. For those espousing low costs of diesel: the difference between the 7.3 and 6.7 on a brand-new truck is $8000 just for the diesel option. Diesels invariably require more expensive parts when they need maintenance, and at least at this time even the fuel is more expensive. None of this should be up for debate. Yes they’re very good at certain tasks.

So let’s math this out: if over 100,000 miles I average 8 mpg with the Tremor, I’m putting 12,500 gallons of gas in the truck. If we keep our low fuel prices for the next few years - let’s assume a $2/g average for a moment - I’m spending $25k on fuel.

If I went with a 6.7 however, I’m starting in a -$8k hole, and only gradually climb my way out, if ever. Assuming 100% better fuel economy - 16 mpg - and let’s call it a 20% premium for diesel over gas over this period - then while I’m only consuming 6,250 gallons @ $2.40/g average, resulting in $15,000 for fuel costs - on the face of things I made that -$8k back and then some!

But we’re not taking into account failed and expensive diesel injectors, failed and expensive cab-off-frame required repairs, turbo replacements, and all other manner of nasty and expensive things that can happen with a diesel. On top of that having another 800 lbs on the nose is going to incur more wear on suspension and tires as well. Fuel filters, DEF, and more also adds up. So that +$2k surplus after 100k miles evaporates quickly.

Bottom line I expect the 7.3 to be up to the task (even while averaging a whopping ~11.5 mpg empty at 75-85 highway speeds so far) and if I want to get weird I can bolt on the Whipple or Procharger options once they’re available. Plus it sounds great.
    While I agree with most of what you post I would like to point out that unless you run your truck into the ground so there's no residual value it's been my experience that used diesel trucks sell for a much higher price than their gas counter parts. Of my trucks I've always been able to most of the engine cost on resale.

Regarding the other parts you mentioned being expensive to replace I wouldn't know. Other than an injector harness that went bad twice on one Dodge which was covered under repair I've never had any trouble with my diesels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you assuming that you will have costly repairs to help with offsetting costs. There will always be a few people that will just as you do with RV's. Most people will not. We have had our GMC 5 years and over 60000 miles. We have had no issues and don't expect to either as it has been a great truck. I do like everything I have read about that new 7.3 though.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in hearing more real-world experience with the 7.3L as well. There are innumerable gas/diesel debates on this forum and elsewhere if folks want to plow that field again... lets leave this thread to the 7.3L.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say thanks to the OP and others that have real world experience with the 7.3L Godzilla. We currently have a 2020 Transcend 32BHS. We are weekend warriors, and currently tow with a 2013 Ram 1500. We need a bigger truck, and the 7.3L F350 CCLB looks like it would be perfect for our needs. The 32BHS is under 10K fully loaded, so I don't see a need for a diesel. In addition, since I work from home the tuck sees very little use and I therefore can't justify the cost of a diesel either.

Look forward to more positive feedback on this new engine!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please folks can we keep this thread on track. I and others here are looking for real time information on the NEW Ford 7.3 Godzilla Gas engine with the new 10 speed transmission.

I don't need to hear go diesel, etc, I currently have an 04 F350 6.0 diesel CCLB dully (lemon an 03 6.0 out) I know the costs, cold weather temperament, etc. I have had bad injector, electrical gremlins, and recently the EGR cooler melt down ($6K) My trailer GVWR is just shy of 9K, so the 7.3 gas is more than enough power. I have towed thousand of miles with gas trucks before and know they are made to be wound out to climb hills. Information on the new 10 speed also indicates down hill will be OK too (Video on the Ike tunnel proved that) So folks know I have been over that stretch of roadway hundreds of time, both for work and traveling. Including chain law restriction with a trailer behind (story for some other time)

Some information I have not seen except for the 4:30 gearing is engine capability with the 3:73 gearing (the only other option). Mt current dually has 4:10 gearing with the equivalent power from the 6.0 and does a good job of towing.

So please keep the information on the 7.3 Gas. If you see other information, (good or bad) please post it here.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towed the 311BHS today for the first time home from a dealer in Cheyenne back to southeast Denver suburbs. 7.3 and 10 speed are a great combination - no issues towing and in fact I feel it exceeded my expectations. The only detractor is low mpg but it’s very capable.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Towed the 311BHS today for the first time home from a dealer in Cheyenne back to southeast Denver suburbs. 7.3 and 10 speed are a great combination - no issues towing and in fact I feel it exceeded my expectations. The only detractor is low mpg but it’s very capable.
    What kind of mileage did you get going and coming back loaded?
    Last edited by powerscol; 05-15-2020 at 07:49 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at a new 2020 F250 XLT with 7.3L gaser, FX4 package, 3.55 axels, 40/console/40 front seat, etc. Real nice truck. $46,874, 2.9% for 84 months.
    Glenn & Cathy
    2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2007 Toyota Tundra
    2018 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Special

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast