User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Interesting thread. I wasn't aware that Moryde now has such an agreement with GD..... So I ordered my 398M with the 8Kaxle/disc brake/H tires upgrade.
    As much as I am a fan of the Moryde system, I do not think much has changed. GD is still sending the units to Moryde after it is built for the upgrade.
    There is a downside to this. In order to install the MR system after the build, the under belly needs to be removed... Welding operations will melt the plastic.
    GD does all of the UB work while the bare frame is flipped. When the UB is originally installed, it needs to have portions cut out to go around various items such as plumbing and spring hangers. These areas are sealed with some sort of caulk. This works well when the frame is upside down. But whem MR does it's upgrade, the frame will be rightside up, with the unit complete. Other sections of the UB will need to be removed in order to fit the MR system, and the previous spring hanger cut outs would need to be patched. Gravity will prevent caulk from working, so it will likely be a tape that is used to patch it up. My previous experince is that it will let go down the road and just be a headache, of constant repairs

I am not a fan of this approach at all. In my case, I want to use my unit in very cold conditions, which is why it will have dual pane windows.
    Compromising the UB with the MR install would defeat my goal.

Also, I really doubt that as some have posted, one could get a 20-30% discount on the MR upgrade. MR doesn't need to offer such a discount, so that would need to come out of your dealers pocket.... When all is said and done, MR will have all of their money.

If MR was able to get the bare frame to do the install on, then some savings could be had, as the labor woud be less, and the cost of removing the original axles (along with their cost) could be elminated.
    I cannot read the letter that was posted as to the MR cost, but from what I gather from the other posts, it is right at 10,000. In my case, I think I will pass on it

My well equipped 398 has a MSRP of 132,157 without freight and I am getting it for 97,880 + T&L = 105,500 out the door. The 8K axle package is included.

Also doing it this way, the GVWR may be changed, as GD built it, so that would be possible. I haven't heard anything yet though on this.

You bring up some good points on the MR upgrade. I will double check the UB to see how they reinstalled the plastic to see of it will hold up. As far as the discount goes, yes, you can still get 20-30 % off from the MSRP. I know because I just ordered one over a week ago and the MR upgrade was included. I did not have to come up with any money upfront for the upgrade or have any extra tacked on at the end. The only thing I had to do was put down 5k to get the unit ordered. The MSRP of my unit with all the options I wanted plus the MR upgrade was over 146K. I was able to get a discount of just over 38K. Bottom line I was able to get a good deal on it. I shopped around between several dealers to include Lazydays. They came in close, but were 10K higher. For the most part all the dealers I delt with were close in the same ballpark for the discount. 22-28% off.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread. I wasn't aware that Moryde now has such an agreement with GD..... So I ordered my 398M with the 8Kaxle/disc brake/H tires upgrade.
    As much as I am a fan of the Moryde system, I do not think much has changed. GD is still sending the units to Moryde after it is built for the upgrade.
    There is a downside to this. In order to install the MR system after the build, the under belly needs to be removed... Welding operations will melt the plastic.
    GD does all of the UB work while the bare frame is flipped. When the UB is originally installed, it needs to have portions cut out to go around various items such as plumbing and spring hangers. These areas are sealed with some sort of caulk. This works well when the frame is upside down. But whem MR does it's upgrade, the frame will be rightside up, with the unit complete. Other sections of the UB will need to be removed in order to fit the MR system, and the previous spring hanger cut outs would need to be patched. Gravity will prevent caulk from working, so it will likely be a tape that is used to patch it up. My previous experince is that it will let go down the road and just be a headache, of constant repairs

I am not a fan of this approach at all. In my case, I want to use my unit in very cold conditions, which is why it will have dual pane windows.
    Compromising the UB with the MR install would defeat my goal.

Also, I really doubt that as some have posted, one could get a 20-30% discount on the MR upgrade. MR doesn't need to offer such a discount, so that would need to come out of your dealers pocket.... When all is said and done, MR will have all of their money.

If MR was able to get the bare frame to do the install on, then some savings could be had, as the labor woud be less, and the cost of removing the original axles (along with their cost) could be elminated.
    I cannot read the letter that was posted as to the MR cost, but from what I gather from the other posts, it is right at 10,000. In my case, I think I will pass on it

My well equipped 398 has a MSRP of 132,157 without freight and I am getting it for 97,880 + T&L = 105,500 out the door. The 8K axle package is included.

Also doing it this way, the GVWR may be changed, as GD built it, so that would be possible. I haven't heard anything yet though on this.
    Having had the MORryde IS installed on two fifth wheels, now, I can tell you that what they do with the Coroplast does not affect its efficiency or durability. MORryde does an excellent job of making sure the welding (at the bottom of the rails - not up near other things) doesn't harm any surrounding areas and the reassembly of the Coroplast is extremely well done. Not an issue at all.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Having had the MORryde IS installed on two fifth wheels, now, I can tell you that what they do with the Coroplast does not affect its efficiency or durability. MORryde does an excellent job of making sure the welding (at the bottom of the rails - not up near other things) doesn't harm any surrounding areas and the reassembly of the Coroplast is extremely well done. Not an issue at all.

Rob
    Thank you Rob. How do you like the ISS vs stock set up ?

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akfiredog377 View Post
    Thank you Rob. How do you like the ISS vs stock set up ?
    There's no comparison. The MORryde IS is fully-alignable (caster, camber, toe), more than twice the travel, and it has shocks on each wheel. It tracks straight and true and is much easier on the coach. We liked it so much on our previous fiver that we had plans to take our new Solitude straight back up to Elkhart to have the IS installed on it... until we found out that GD would take it over there for us. Solid axles and leaf springs are OK - after all, that technology has been in use since Studebaker was making Conestoga wagons in the 1800s. But as full-timers, I wouldn't be without the IS and disc brakes for the miles we put on a rig - er, well, when we can start traveling again.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    I am not sure how this can be done. I have reinstalled coroplast myself and it is very difficult when working upside down. Due to the gravity effect, caulk will not work. So the other option is tape. I have had less than satisfactory luck with that.
    Last edited by huntindog; 05-16-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure how this can be done. I have reinstalled coroplast myself and it is very difficult when working upside down. Due to the gravity effect, caulk will not work. So the other option is tape. I have had less than satisfactory luck with that.
    I do not know about other trailer lines, but on our Solitude, the coroplast is both sealed (between frame and coroplast) and bolted (with an aluminum spreader strip) to the bottom rail. Temporarily using 2x4 and a floor jack to support the width of the coroplast, it is not hard to reinstall. Once it is resealed, up and bolted, it is not going anywhere.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no comparison. The MORryde IS is fully-alignable (caster, camber, toe), more than twice the travel, and it has shocks on each wheel. It tracks straight and true and is much easier on the coach. We liked it so much on our previous fiver that we had plans to take our new Solitude straight back up to Elkhart to have the IS installed on it... until we found out that GD would take it over there for us. Solid axles and leaf springs are OK - after all, that technology has been in use since Studebaker was making Conestoga wagons in the 1800s. But as full-timers, I wouldn't be without the IS and disc brakes for the miles we put on a rig - er, well, when we can start traveling again.

Rob
    That's what Ive been hearing from others that have done the ISS and why I've decided to go with it myself. Being that we are going to go FT it makes sense to have it done right out of the factory.

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $10k is definitely a lot for the upgrade, I opted for it but it’s still a tough pill to swallow. If I wasn’t planning on full timing I’m not sure if I would have done it, but I would’ve still wanted it.

My unit should be ready around mid-July then sent to MORryde for the upgrade. I wish I could have a before and after comparison but I’d rather get it all done now while everything is fresh.
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I do not know about other trailer lines, but on our Solitude, the coroplast is both sealed (between frame and coroplast) and bolted (with an aluminum spreader strip) to the bottom rail. Temporarily using 2x4 and a floor jack to support the width of the coroplast, it is not hard to reinstall. Once it is resealed, up and bolted, it is not going anywhere.

Chris
    They call that their rail tite method... It is good, but when dealing with coroplast, the less you disturb it the better. If you attempt to bend it and pull it away from what you are working on, it will stretch, and it will not snap back to its original shape. The previous holes will not line up and since the factory uses really big pieces (20FT or so) the result will be a sagging belly.
    You cannot realistically remove the entire piece to install the axles, as they would then be in the way of reinstalling the CP. Which will need to be recut to fit around the MR axles... The previous cutouts for the original spring hangers may still be present (it is unlikely that the MR will require yhe same cutouts) and since the rail tites cannot be used around these areas, GD uses a caulk...Which will not work when MR does it due to gravity
    The other issue is that fiberglass insulation is placed into the UB which is then held in place by the CP once the frame is flipped.
    When you drop the coroplast, there is a high probability that some fiberglass will fall out of position. Getting it back where it should be is next to impossible.

Of course if you are not there to watch it done, you would never know.

The thing is there are two basic physics items that prevent this from being as good as when GD originally installed it.
    Heat, which will melt plastic, and gravity which will prevent the reinstall of the CP/ insulation from being as good as the original install.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have to do some searching online, but I have seen a couple videos made by customers that had it done. They roll it back to do the welding. When they reinstall it looks to be very professionally done. The video is more about the suspension install and only shorts segments of the coroplas install. Search under “Getaway Couple” suspension install.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast