User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    My wife and I were just talking about this again last night. We both feel like we've spent more quality time together in the last month than we were likely to spend in six or eight months previously. Our little family has grown much closer. The kids have even decided they like each other and are building a stronger relationship. Cooking at home has certainly increased the quality of the food, and the scale here is showing lower numbers for me each day too. Our dog thinks this is the best thing that ever happened (we are here all the time, scraps at each meal, and lots of walks). There are a few hidden blessings in this ordeal.
    This is almost our exact situation. Even though I’m still going to work full time, she’s working from home but it has provided us more time together. The kids actually like each other and work together as well. My wife is a teacher so there’s still a schedule and school going on in our house. One thing that hasn’t changed much is, we live in a small town and the restaurants here aren’t very good so we always cook at home anyway. Of course some ingredients have been impossible to find since this all started. I had applied for some jobs out of state in early February and I feel I have a good shot at them. I have in person interviews with these companies waiting for the virus to ease up. Had this virus not come along, I would probably be a state or several away from my family right now but since everything is on hold, we’re still all together. That’s been a blessing in disguise. Finally, our dog also feels this is the best thing to come along. He hasn’t been alone in months because of it.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I hope you're right, and as you may have guessed, that's kind of the world that I'm seeing too. A "better" normal. The sad thing, there are going to be a lot of people and companies that either suffer or completely disappear (or die) as a result of it. But there can be a lot of good that comes along with the bad. I wasn't even thinking about the ecological benefits, but, of course, those are there too.

I said to my wife the other day, I wonder if people will look back on what I used to do (flying so much to basically have a lunch meeting 5000 miles away) and see the the same way we see the "3 martini lunch" of the Mad Men days? A complete anachronism, something you can hardly believe was, at one time, the "norm" and is now seen with a mix of shock (how could you do that) and disgust (do you realize how bad what you were doing was for the planet, how likely it was to spread disease, etc)? IDK, but I do kind of feel like Don Draper, with a failing liver, lung cancer, and sitting there wondering "how is what I've been doing normal"? It's amazing how quickly we adapt as a species, we couldn't fly at all ~100 years ago, and then, 100 years later, it was "normal" to fly coast to coast to have a business dinner. I did it all the time, without a 2nd thought, perhaps like the "Mad Men" happily ordered up their 3 round of Scotch on the rocks for lunch without a 2nd thought?

It's going to be interesting, that's without question, for those of us who are still working to see what it looks like 5 years from now. Some jobs (construction, for example) won't change much at all. Other's (doctor's, for example) I have a feeling will be near unrecognizable from what we had a few months ago. "Your going IN to see the doctor?? What's the matter with you, you're sick, you're going to spread it; Zoom him instead".

Thank you. She was elderly and caught COVID in a nursing home, not at all unexpected given the density of people in that type of business, but still very sad. But this is just more "new normal", my wife and I before this would have just jumped on a plane to go up (about 500 miles), now? Not a chance in hell, and I'm so grateful we have the GD today. We're going to drive it, stay in the rig, and attend the service (which has strict social distancing enforced) and do our best not to be in close proximity to others while we're there. If we didn't have the RV, we'd have to stay somewhere, a hotel, a family members house, Airbnb.. All of which give me the heeby-jeebies right now. I'm just so glad we can tow our rig, stop where ever we want on the ride up to sleep, pee in our own bathroom, and keep our distance and be safe while still being there for family. Honestly, if we didn't have it, I'm sure we wouldn't be going, my wife said as much to me on our ride home today. The thought of checking into a 300 room hotel today? Or flying there? Yeah, no thanks.
    A a retired salesman I agree that american ingenuity will figure out how to work within these confines. Some businesses will prosper and some will die. Walmart replaced Sears
    and someday something like Amazon will do the same to Walmart. The industry I worry about the most is Airlines. Video conferencing is replacing my old 5 days on planes
    for things like a lunch with an important customer. All that travel also cost me a marriage, which in hindsight was my fault.

This is a well timed thread.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm noticing the road traffic pick up at rush hour these past few days. It was peaceful while it lasted, sometimes eerily so. I also like going out and being able to see the night sky filled with stars again as the air has cleared. I can't see the Milky Way but I can pick out the star configurations again.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    . I also like going out and being able to see the night sky filled with stars again as the air has cleared. I can't see the Milky Way but I can pick out the star configurations again.

Seeing the stars is a big plus, it's amazing with less flights how much clearer the skies have become. Bluer durng the day as well.
    Along with that is less noise as planes pass over head.
    Almost reminds me of when the eastern half of the US lost power for a bit of time (that was a long time ago!) .
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Seeing the stars is a big plus, it's amazing with less flights how much clearer the skies have become. Bluer durng the day as well.
    Along with that is less noise as planes pass over head.
    Almost reminds me of when the eastern half of the US lost power for a bit of time (that was a long time ago!) .
    I remember, although I was only 10...it was '65. A substation that was overloaded in Ontario blow up and took down the NY / New England grid. Cromby Station, a power plant not far from me is where it ended when a generator arced over on the overload. If that hadn't happened it would have taken out Eastern Pa., Maryland and Delaware too. My Dad was called into work on emergency and we didn't see him for two weeks. Years later when I was an apprentice I was working at that plant with Dad and he told me all about it! Bonding
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-08-2020 at 09:09 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember, although I was only 10...it was '65. A substation that was overloaded in Ontario blow up and took down the NY / New England grid. Cromby Station, a power plant not far from me is where it ended when a generator arced over on the overload. If that hadn't happened it would have taken out Eastern Pa., Maryland and Delaware too. My Dad was called into work on emergency and we didn't see him for two weeks. Years later when I was an apprentice I was working at that plant with Dad and he told me all about it! Bonding
    The blackout I'm referring to was later than the 60s it was 2003 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003
    in 65 I want even 10 :

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The industry I worry about the most is Airlines. Video conferencing is replacing my old 5 days on planes
    for things like a lunch with an important customer. All that travel also cost me a marriage, which in hindsight was my fault.
    Airlines and hotels. Those are the ones that are really, I have no idea, how do they continue to function if this doesn't "clear up" magically. Now, airlines; sorry, as someone who's flown 100K a year for years now, I can say this "Reap what you sow" and "nice knowing you". Let them go under, someone come in, buy the planes, and start a new airline. The ones that we have are awful, abusive to their customers, and provide an experience that's so bad that most people would pay MORE to not remember using their product.

Hotels.. Well, a lot more pity here, all the major brands have been good to me, so I do feel bad for them. Airbnb type arrangements, IMHO, are going to be much more popular, rather be in a single family home with some space than a hotel with 100 people on one floor.

Restaurants are another one where I feel badly, lots of small businesses there, and, that another one.. Will it ever come back? Or come back without a vaccine (which we have no idea if we can even create, let alone when). That's a sad one to me.

Travel for work, IMHO, has been forever (or at least the rest of my working life) changed. I may never again do a coast to coast flight for lunch. Which would be just fine by me, it didn't cost me a marriage, but the time I've lost in airports.. It's gone, never to return. And I honestly hope that it never comes back the way that it was, it was ridiculous, and perhaps now we're all starting to realize that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve heard about that outage a few times but I learned about it and specific events around it again this week during some NERC virtual training. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The blackout I'm referring to was later than the 60s it was 2003 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003
    in 65 I want even 10 :

I was 23 at that time. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were in Nashville when that happened. Even though it was largely in the NE, some places in Nashville had power and some didn’t. Never would have guessed then that I would be in the power generation industry.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Airlines and hotels. Those are the ones that are really, I have no idea, how do they continue to function if this doesn't "clear up" magically... Hotels.. Well, a lot more pity here, all the major brands have been good to me, so I do feel bad for them. Airbnb type arrangements, IMHO, are going to be much more popular, rather be in a single family home with some space than a hotel with 100 people on one floor.
    The thing to remember about hotels is that many are franchised. While some are corporate owned, and some are owned by large franchisees, some others are truly small businesses that may not survive.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    The thing to remember about hotels is that many are franchised. While some are corporate owned, and some are owned by large franchisees, some others are truly small businesses that may not survive.
    I think regardless of who owns it, a lot will not survive. The entire model is broken by this event, packing 100's-1000's of people into an ultra-dense building is just insanity. That's why things like AirBNB seem to be a better bet to me, MUCH less exposure to others. Yes, I'm sure hotels will sanitize everything to within one cup of bleach from it's life, but that's not the real problem, it's the 15 people your packed on an elevator with that's the issue. I just don't see how they continue to function in this type of environment, the thing that their business is predicated on (density) is the exact thing that fuels the spread of the virus.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast