User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some things aren't so bad..

First off, I want to say, I'm not talking about COVID or those hurt by it here, AT ALL. This weekend, I'm going to funeral for a family member who died from COVID, and I know a lot of people are suffering terribly, so this is NOT intended to downplay it, or to say it's a good thing, it's NOT.

That said, I must say, there are some things in this "new world" that have, one way or another, made my life better. First off, I used to travel like a madman for work, 100K+ miles a year by plane to every corner of the earth. That has come to complete halt, and all I can say, I don't miss 1 second of it. The first class seats, the airline "ultimate" club memberships, all of it. You can keep it. It was awful, and I sincerely hope that none of it ever comes back (and wonder if it will, my company has seen expenses (for travel) fall through the floor and revenues remain relatively consistent, I think it's a big question if we ever do the kind of travel we used to again). I cannot understate what an impact this has had on my life, my health is better, my family knows me, my lawn looks great, my cars are waxed and taken care of. It's just SO much better, it's hard for me to even imagine going back to what I did just 5 months ago.

I'm cooking more (well, only) at home now, and I'm finding that my health has improved; all the silly overeating at some wildly overpriced steakhouse somewhere in the world is gone. I eat well thought out meals, cooked at home, and it shows, both in my health and in the scale.

My sleep schedule is much improved too, I used to hop from time zone to time zone, which always messed me up. We'd be having dinner at midnight my time at home, and that never treated me well.

My home life is better too. My wife and I now spend basically all our time together, where before, we'd sometimes only have weekends and almost always would have a few days a week apart. I don't miss that at all, and it's so nice to be together and able to know we have that time with one another.

Traffic is much lighter on the roads, that's a nice benefit too, when I need to go somewhere, it's faster and easier. "Rush hour" has basically ceased to exist in my area.

I'm an introvert, so COVID has given me an excuse to stay away from people, which, if I'm honest, is something I typically like better anyway. Everything is faster without the small talk and small talk has always been difficult for me.

Work has gotten more efficient for me too, again, basically the end of small talk, if I'm calling or joining a meeting, it's because we have something to talk about, we talk about it, and then we move on. It's allowed me to get more work done in less time, couple that with the lack of travel hours, and I feel like I'm 2X as productive as I used to be with fewer hours put in. However, that said, it's really not even "fair" to talk about hours when you take out planes, 100 hour week, if you count the time working, time preparing for travel, getting to the airport, flying, getting to a hotel, sitting in the hotel waiting for a meeting, etc. All that was "work" to me, and it went on, often times, 24 hours a day (when traveling), so it's not really a fair comparison.

I'm well aware that this is terrible illness and a terrible time for a lot of people, so, that part is a huge downside; and I'm not saying I'd trade the pain that so many are in for the upsides I note here, it's just that, all told, for me personally, a lot of the things that I really disliked seemed to disappear with COVID. I'm sure it's very different for extroverts, people who love to travel (or cruise), people who love cities. Basically, people who like to be around groups of other people, I'm sure it's really difficult for them and very different from my experience. I'd like COVID to go away tomorrow and for some of the changes that COVID brought about to stay around with us, if that makes any sense?

All that said, I could write another post like this with all the things that COVID has made worse, I really don't like going to Lowes and feeling like I'm risking my life for a 2x4. That sucks, and I'd love that to go "back to normal" tomorrow. And I hate seeing so many people out of work, suffering, dying and scared. All of that is awful, and clearly, it's worse than the benefits that have come to some of us from it. It's not a good trade, but it's not an entirely "one sided" trade either, there are benefits to "today" that weren't there a year ago for me, and, my reason for writing this post, I wondered if anyone else felt the same at all.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are often silver linings. Pollution has dropped way down and nature is responding pretty beautifully. I think when this is over, the whole world can benefit from a "new" (better) normal vs going back to where we were 6 months ago. This can be a catalyst for a lot of good.

Sorry to hear about your family member
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think when this is over, the whole world can benefit from a "new" (better) normal vs going back to where we were 6 months ago. This can be a catalyst for a lot of good.
    I hope you're right, and as you may have guessed, that's kind of the world that I'm seeing too. A "better" normal. The sad thing, there are going to be a lot of people and companies that either suffer or completely disappear (or die) as a result of it. But there can be a lot of good that comes along with the bad. I wasn't even thinking about the ecological benefits, but, of course, those are there too.

I said to my wife the other day, I wonder if people will look back on what I used to do (flying so much to basically have a lunch meeting 5000 miles away) and see the the same way we see the "3 martini lunch" of the Mad Men days? A complete anachronism, something you can hardly believe was, at one time, the "norm" and is now seen with a mix of shock (how could you do that) and disgust (do you realize how bad what you were doing was for the planet, how likely it was to spread disease, etc)? IDK, but I do kind of feel like Don Draper, with a failing liver, lung cancer, and sitting there wondering "how is what I've been doing normal"? It's amazing how quickly we adapt as a species, we couldn't fly at all ~100 years ago, and then, 100 years later, it was "normal" to fly coast to coast to have a business dinner. I did it all the time, without a 2nd thought, perhaps like the "Mad Men" happily ordered up their 3 round of Scotch on the rocks for lunch without a 2nd thought?

It's going to be interesting, that's without question, for those of us who are still working to see what it looks like 5 years from now. Some jobs (construction, for example) won't change much at all. Other's (doctor's, for example) I have a feeling will be near unrecognizable from what we had a few months ago. "Your going IN to see the doctor?? What's the matter with you, you're sick, you're going to spread it; Zoom him instead".

Sorry to hear about your family member
    Thank you. She was elderly and caught COVID in a nursing home, not at all unexpected given the density of people in that type of business, but still very sad. But this is just more "new normal", my wife and I before this would have just jumped on a plane to go up (about 500 miles), now? Not a chance in hell, and I'm so grateful we have the GD today. We're going to drive it, stay in the rig, and attend the service (which has strict social distancing enforced) and do our best not to be in close proximity to others while we're there. If we didn't have the RV, we'd have to stay somewhere, a hotel, a family members house, Airbnb.. All of which give me the heeby-jeebies right now. I'm just so glad we can tow our rig, stop where ever we want on the ride up to sleep, pee in our own bathroom, and keep our distance and be safe while still being there for family. Honestly, if we didn't have it, I'm sure we wouldn't be going, my wife said as much to me on our ride home today. The thought of checking into a 300 room hotel today? Or flying there? Yeah, no thanks.
    Last edited by Overtaxed; 04-26-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, back in March, right before the world came crashing to a halt, I had an important meeting with the CISO of a large defense contractor (one of my largest customers - I sell cybersecurity tech). Was supposed to fly down and back (VA to FL). My wife, who is a germophobe on a good day, was freaking out hardcore so I canceled my flight and hotel and made it an impromptu RV trip solo for me. Drove down and stayed in a very nice state park with a view of the launch facility at Cape Canaveral for $28 a night. Was about 900 miles each way. Was a mild pain in the ****** of course vs just flying, but at the end of the day, was completely doable. Fortunately my company was already adjusting to the new situation and let me expense not only the campground, but the 1800 miles on my truck as well. My sales rep and I were the LAST outside visitors company wide for that customer (and only because she was already in the air on her way there and I was already down in GA when they made the call to shut everything down).

Another interesting side effect of this is that hopefully this country does a better job of making useful internet access more of an essential right for people. Because the current approach, isn't working. I am spoiled and have gigabit fiber to the home but many are LUCKY if they have fast DSL.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Another interesting side effect of this is that hopefully this country does a better job of making useful internet access more of an essential right for people. Because the current approach, isn't working. I am spoiled and have gigabit fiber to the home but many are LUCKY if they have fast DSL.
    I could not agree more. Internet is the "lifeblood" of work from home. And a lot of people still don't have it and most cable/telco companies are "done" running it. In some ways, I get it, wireless will eventually be "enough" for most people, but it's not enough today, not even close. And a wire will always be > wireless, lower latency, more reliable and faster (simple physics, a signal travels through copper easier than it does through air). You want to get "America to work"? A few big infrastructure projects need doing, high speed Internet (uncapped, 100Mb/s or higher) to every house in America is high on that list. So is fixing the highways. Both projects that could put a lot of people to work doing something really good for the country, and both that require a lot of people to do the work, not robots. The situation with RV wireless is, right now, the pinnacle of stupid. Cell phones aren't far behind, every carrier in the country is selling "unlimited data" of which, close to NONE of them are actually "unlimited data". Makes it real hard for those who don't have wired Internet at home, I can go through dozens of GB a day using tools like Zoom (video chat) and downloading files for work (100MB PPTs, gotta love em!). "Just use your phone" isn't a solution right now for the many people in this country that either have poor cell signals at home or a need to really "use" their Internet. Using my cell phone, my bill would be 1000's per month for the data I use. Or, I could use my Togo, on the exact same network, for the exact same thing and pay about 30 bucks this month. Or if I hadn't given up my unlimited (a real unlimited plan) plan like an idiot years ago, I could use my phone for 70 bucks a month. The situation is just untenable in wireless Internet, 2 people getting exactly the same product at 100X price differences? Come on.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the internet has moved on assuming high bandwidth access is ubiquitous when sadly that is FAR from the case for many households. But pages are more complex, apps are larger, resolutions and bitrates are ever increasing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I were just talking about this again last night. We both feel like we've spent more quality time together in the last month than we were likely to spend in six or eight months previously. Our little family has grown much closer. The kids have even decided they like each other and are building a stronger relationship. Cooking at home has certainly increased the quality of the food, and the scale here is showing lower numbers for me each day too. Our dog thinks this is the best thing that ever happened (we are here all the time, scraps at each meal, and lots of walks). There are a few hidden blessings in this ordeal.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been some things that aren't so bad about being home more, especially for families with kids. I think the time together is making brothers and sisters talk to each other instead of heads in the computer/phoneor tablet all day. We are seeing more of the full time families walking together as a family group then ever in our park , which means more quality Mom and Dad time too. I hope that continues after all this is done.

I have also noticed when grocery shopping some of the older couples are publicly bickering more than ever.

For me personally , I have gotten to meet and talk more people in the park than if we were out and about doing what ever it is we decide to do. I am more of a social person so meeting more neighbors isn't so bad. Our park is fuller than normal for April. We have saved quite a bit of money not going out to eat, not running to nature preserves and no garage sales, so much it paid for the puppies!

We do miss walking the preserves with the dogs, they are open but to deter people from leaving their zone so to speak the parking lots are closed. I
    f you do not live near by you can't enjoy the nature preserves or beaches that just opened but no parking to keep crowds away.

On the down side , we also lost a long time family friend to Covid.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 05-08-2020 at 07:12 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sad that we have to lose loved ones/friends. Unfortunately there is not much we can do to prevent it other than the social distancing and, at some point, that becomes to burdensome. I too am a social person - the wife not so much. A friend and I still meet up on Thursdays to Feed wildlife, dig leaks (that's done now) and other things. A group of us "older folks" used to meet at a local restaurant for coffee in the mornings. Can't do that now, but it's for the best I guess. I am the youngest, and some are almost 80.
    And yes - on the upside for us? Our CC bill is less than 1/2 what it was. On the downside of that? Someone made a charge on the card (not us) so now I have new cards coming. What A pain... Another upside - I have not gained any weight. On the down side of that, I didn't loose any either . I have made some inroads into house and woodworking projects that I was putting off. But...I am making mistakes on the WW project making me cut new pieces on an intricate set up on the saw. We are walking when weather permits - which I need. We do argue a little more, but get over it quicker. With only one Covid19 case in our county, our grandkids got to spend the night Saturday - big plus (we know who that case is). Another big plus for the cats was when the grandkids left Sunday afternoon. Last downside - I spend way to much time on the computer now. This according to my wife who spends way more time on her phone on Facebook or some other social media platform. All in all it could be loads worse or us, and I feel bad for those who have it much worse than my wife and I do. While I am retired, my sons are really not liking the no work thing.
    Everyone enjoy life while you can, you never know when it's going to be gone!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are very lucky. We have some acreage to exercise ourselves and our dog on and have had no problems in maintaining our food regime with once a week shopping. I ride my motorcycle with some friends and we have intercoms to communicate with each other. Other than that we miss a few of our friends with compromised health but are very grateful that we are both healthy.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast