User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    The F450 has the wide track front end (which gives you the tighter turning radius), larger 19.5 (vs 17") commercial tires, larger brakes and a few other changes. We test drove an F450 and I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice the ride was. Ford (and the industry as a whole) has come a long ways.

Chris
    I like what I’m hearing about the F450. Better late than never. Thanks for the response.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryinGlobe View Post
    I like what I’m hearing about the F450. Better late than never. Thanks for the response.
    Be sure to check registration costs and insurance in your area. Some places (I have heard) will categorize an F450 as a commercial truck (with higher fees of course). That is not the case for me in Colorado. Not trying to scare anyone, just want people to make an informed decision.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to check registration costs and insurance in your area. Some places (I have heard) will categorize an F450 as a commercial truck (with higher fees of course). That is not the case for me in Colorado. Not trying to scare anyone, just want people to make an informed decision.

Chris
    The 450 shouldn’t be any different than the 350. They both carry identical GVWR’s.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    The 450 shouldn’t be any different than the 350. They both carry identical GVWR’s.
    I agree, the fees and costs should not be any different (for the same GVWR), but that does not mean they aren't.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong; I love my F350; overall a great, and VERY capable truck. I have no regrets; based on the deals available at the time I bought, I'd make the same choice again.

That said, if you're convinced you are going to go dually, test drive the F450. The turn radius delta is noticeable. I don't regret my choice, for me, the availability of F350's in my area at the time, led me to a better deal. That said, if the right opportunity was there to get a 450, that is the way to go.
    Last edited by Keebler; 04-28-2020 at 05:27 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I'm not a ford guy but I believe you get the wider track front end which gives you the better turning radius and a whole bunch of heavier duty parts. wheels, tires, brakes, axles, etc. The reason for the reduced payload is they are both limited by the 14k limit for a class 3 truck and those parts are well, heavier.

Don't confuse ratings with actual capability. The 450 is a stronger truck in every way except for the rating.
    You hit the nail on the head. I just went from a 2019 F350 DRW with a 5200 lb payload to a 2020 F450 with a 4795 lb payload and there is a big difference in capability. The turning radius is amazingly better, the truck squats way less with my 3900 lb pin weight, so much less that I'm not fooling with airbags this time. The 4:30 gears and 10 spd make the overall towing experience much nicer and the F350 did a pretty good job. As someone stated, if you decide you need a dually there is no reason at all to not look at a 450. It is much more capable than the 14000 lb GVW it is saddled with. Here is an example of the beefier equipment. When we start towing 16-20K lb trailers you want brakes like this. That's a front rotor on my F450...That's a 19 1/2 inch rim and the caliper is almost as big! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotor (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	26212
    Last edited by Txfivver; 04-28-2020 at 07:35 AM.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 F-350 short bed SRW with an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. 2020 Solitude 344GK with a Trail Air Rota Flex pinbox. My problem is if I have the Andersen pin receiver facing forward the pinbox hits the tonneau side rails on a moderately sharp turn. If I reverse the pin receiver the rig will hit my truck cap on a similarly moderate turn. What should I do? Change pin boxes? Change the hitch? Get a long bed dually? I’m open to suggestions. By the way, we are newbies.
    Gary,
    I don't have an AUH but I do have a 2019 F350 Longbed. I have the same problem where the Pinbox is catching the tonneau cover side rail(flat fabric cover, velcro, flat rail) using a standard Reese M5 5th wheel hitch. I have 6 inches of clearance and the hitch is at max height. I recently cut about a six inch stretch out of the cover rail and it has helped when backing into my driveway. Not sure if I described my cover rail appropriately but can supply a pic if needed. COver = https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Dave & Sharon
    Macomb, MI
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2019 Ford F350 Longbed SRW 6.7 Diesel
    Reese M5 20k Puck mounted

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearance issue

Quote Originally Posted by Dashus View Post
    Gary,
    I don't have an AUH but I do have a 2019 F350 Longbed. I have the same problem where the Pinbox is catching the tonneau cover side rail(flat fabric cover, velcro, flat rail) using a standard Reese M5 5th wheel hitch. I have 6 inches of clearance and the hitch is at max height. I recently cut about a six inch stretch out of the cover rail and it has helped when backing into my driveway. Not sure if I described my cover rail appropriately but can supply a pic if needed. COver = https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This may be a little late in the conversation and maybe you need a new truck, but have you considered checking with Lippert and to see if they have a Trail Air pin box with a longer length? Not sure that is a real solution, but thought I would throw it out to the experience of the readers.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 F-350 short bed SRW with an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. 2020 Solitude 344GK with a Trail Air Rota Flex pinbox. My problem is if I have the Andersen pin receiver facing forward the pinbox hits the tonneau side rails on a moderately sharp turn. If I reverse the pin receiver the rig will hit my truck cap on a similarly moderate turn. What should I do? Change pin boxes? Change the hitch? Get a long bed dually? I’m open to suggestions. By the way, we are newbies.
    You might try raising the ball on the Anderson a notch unless it’s as high as it will go.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, the fees and costs should not be any different (for the same GVWR), but that does not mean they aren't.

Chris
    All states are different, in CA a 450 is considered a commerical vehicle that alot of insurance companys will not write on a personal auto policy.
    And yes, in Ca all pickups all commercial, but they daw the line with the 450.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast