Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freeze Protection

We're new RV owners, a solitude 369RL. We live in Louisiana, usually a warm climate but tonight the temperatures are supposed to drop to 20F. What is the best way to safeguard the plumbing and prevent freezing? I'm not talking about winterizing for an extended period just protection for a few cold nights between trips. Thanks, Pat

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without winterizing, turn your heat on to lowest setting. Ensure the vents are clear and get a good night's sleep.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not just go to Walmart and purchase some RV antifreeze and winterize your unit? It won't take very long or cost very much, and will give you peace of mind. You could try running the furnace at night in order to keep everything underneath above freezing, but you'll burn quite a bit of propane and if you run out, you could damage your pipes.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go with the heat plan rather than the antifreeze, leave the kitchen island doors open. There seems to be an un insulated cold air path (at least on the Reflection) from the belly pan opening above the spare tire, up through the water and drain pipes routing into the island.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're between trips and looking at a couple of nights below freezing. We're not planning on storing the unit for the winter. In fact we may be in Arizona next month.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to feedback shared and very quick and easy to do, have water pump off/no pressurized city connection, open all the faucets (cold and hot)--don't forget outside shower and remove the low point drains under the RV (both hot and cold) and let the water drain out of the lines.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually cut the electricity off to the hot water heater, set the valves to bypassing the hot water tank and drain the hot water heater (with the temp/pressure valve open.) It's easy to do on the Atwood hot water heater.

Then I put RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank, cut the battery powered pump on and run antifreeze through each faucet and the toilet until pink water comes out.

Whenever you get ready to camp in warmer temperatures, change the valves to normal, open the temp/pressure valve and run street water through the lines until water comes out of the overflow. Close the temp/pressure valve and flush the antifreeze out of the lines with fresh water. And only then cut the electricity on to the hot water heater.

It's quick and easy to do. You could also drain everything and leave all valves open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the OP live in Louisiana, temp drops below freezing for only a night or two then back to warmer (65°+) weather. I too just want to keep my pipes from freezing tonight and pass on the whole antifreeze way because, yes it may be cheaper to do that for the winter, but not cheaper to do that for a week as we are planning a trip this weekend. I don't live in my camper, so running the heater isn't going to happen. I think what I'll do is drain all the water from the lines, remove the annular bar in the water heater and blow air through the lines until the water is almost all to a slight drip. This should be enough for a one night deal right?
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar situation here in the PACNW. As long as you have shore power, this works for me.... I put an electric space heater inside with the cabinet doors open. If you have another space heater, put it in the belly. If not, (I don't), I turn on both lights and the one in the hookup compartment. These are incandescent and put out more heat than you think. As a precaution, I also plug in a shop light. The ones with the light socket on a cord, with a 75watt bulb. I hang it behind the bulkhead near the water pump.