User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the picture. That is exactly what I need to do. My front struts are fully extended. I like your blocks! I'll ask around camp. Lots of the regulars like to help out us newbies! But we must keep social distancing, per the county edict.

Rig: 2017 Reflection 367BHS
    Tow vehicle: 2020 F350 CC 6.7l Platinum SRW LB

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Why are you worried about the tires being off the ground? It doesn’t hurt anything, my unit is actually more stable when they are.
    Right now my wheels are off the ground about 1” on one side, even with some 2x12s under the tires. There’s definitely more motion in the 5th wheel when we walk around.

This thread has motivated me to raise that side some more with the Lippert jacks, put more boards under it and then lower onto the boards.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be oversimplification, but to put the tires on boards, why can't you just use a jack at the U-bolt to "slightly" lift each tire, insert the boards, and remove the jack? When I had my brakes replaced with discs at a rally, the installer had me lift the trailer with the leveling system to take some pressure off the tires (still in contact with the ground) and then he used a jack to finish lifting each tire to do his work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary325 View Post
    I am a 5th Wheel owner without a Tow Vehicle. Last year we bought our slightly used 2018 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS. The previous owner moved it, with his TV, less than 10 miles from his property to a seasonal campground.
    We enjoyed it all last season. Had it leveled (with the auto-leveling Lippert Ground Control 3.0) which resulted in the tires on the door side to be off the ground! Without a TV, I cannot move the trailer, lay down some boards, back it up, check level, repeat if needed...
    So now at the site, we winterized it. This included pulling all the slides in and retracting all the leveling struts so that it is only on the tires and the front landing struts.
    One of my camp neighbors wants to help me get it so that the tires are in contact with the ground, without using a TV.

So I have had all winter to think about it. The steps in my mind are:
    1-Get a supply of boards long enough to fit under the tires. Same for the struts so they will never be extended more than a few inches.
    2-Charge up the battery, connect to shore power. Use shore power to activate the Lippert.
    3-Leave the slides IN
    4-Power-up Lippert
    5-Document the current trailer level readings. Record this (trailer level, and strut extension for front)
    6-Auto-level the trailer to get amount of strut extension. Record this (trailer level, and extension for front, mid and rear)
    7-Retract front, mid and rear, now it is as it was all winter (check extension of front, adjust if needed to that as recorded in 5 above)
    8-Add blocks under mid and rear struts to allow 1- 2 inches of travel until the struts would contact the blocks.
    9-Using only the door side front, mid and rear, raise the door side to get the tires off the ground and close to, if not more, than level as recorded in 6 above.
    10-Insert enough boards under the door side tires to remove the gap.
    12-Retract mid and rear completely and front to that as recorded in 5 above. Record this (trailer level, and strut extension for front)
    13-If needed, add blocks under ALL mid and rear struts to allow 1- 2 inches of travel until the struts would contact the blocks.
    14-Auto-level the trailer. Record this (trailer level, and extension for front, mid and rear)
    15-Assess door side tire position (in the air or on the boards). Repeat 9-14 if needed.

Now I'll stop here and let the experts chime in.
    Just set the control to manual. Lift up the side that needs the boards. Place the boards under the tires and re-level.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps if you would let GD owners know where you are located someone may come and move your trailer.
    GD. Owners are a pretty helpful bunch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12