User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I had Kodiak disc brakes installed at MORryde prior to having my Solitude shipped to my dealer. I've only towed it twice (very short distances) since I took delivery so I have very limited experience with these electric over hydraulic brakes.

When I come to a stop and hold my foot on the brake, the brake actuator in the front compartment of the RV will start buzzing. I can hear it from inside the truck if the windows are down. Is it correct for me to assume this noise is normal? It seems rather loud.
    Brian - if you have not done so already here or in the other sandbox, two other very knowledgable guys (as I know you are aware) to follow up with are Rob (Cate & Rob) and Paul (Poppy's 5th Wheel) who both have had discs as well for a few years.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Kodiak disc brakes installed at MORryde prior to having my Solitude shipped to my dealer. I've only towed it twice (very short distances) since I took delivery so I have very limited experience with these electric over hydraulic brakes.

When I come to a stop and hold my foot on the brake, the brake actuator in the front compartment of the RV will start buzzing. I can hear it from inside the truck if the windows are down. Is it correct for me to assume this noise is normal? It seems rather loud.

First, the noise you hear is normal. It's the system pressurizing the brake fluid. Some may be noise than others and, as others have suggested, it could be noisier depending on where it is installed and where you are standing. I notice it mostly when the DW is completing the trailer disconnect as I pull the hitch pin and she pulls forward.

I see you have a 2016 Ford. I have a 2018. Check you owners manual in detail for when and under what conditions your brake controller is activated.

I can't find the exact reference now, but I read either in my owners manual or my towing manual/guide that withh the electric over hydraulic settings: under 11 MPH the hydraulic unit is not activated; at a stop the hydraulic unit is not activated under light pressure but does activate if the brake pedal is pressed hard. Again, not sure with the 2016 integrated brake controller.

After I am all hooked up and ready to tow I make one final check... With the front leveling pads down I press the brake controller manually to lock the trailer brakes and lightly pull forward. That tells me 2 things, I am coupled correctly and my brakes work. Sometime I manually activate the brake controller after initially pulling away from my campsite to reassure myself the brakes are working.

On slight downhills it is a little disconcerting when I brake at very low speed as the truck brakes are doing all the braking. And I can tell the difference to.

I'll go do some more searching to find the Ford notes about the operation of the controller with hydraulic brakes.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I see you have a 2016 Ford.
    Thanks for your feedback Larry. My current tow vehicle is actually a 2020 Ford F-350. I've had three trucks in four years so I can understand the confusion :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    ...The metal floor of the compartment acted like the body of a guitar. In our new Solitude, the actuator is mounted behind the batteries which are on the passenger side In other words, the sound is normal, but whether or not you hear it varies.
    Thanks for the feedback Rob. I know your 310GK is set up similarly to mine as far as the brakes go. You have a great point about the floor of the compartment amplifying the noise.

The brakes operate as I expect them to but since I've never had a trailer with a hydraulic actuator, I didn't realize it made noise. I was expecting silence. I still plan to pay close attention to the brakes when I get back to the RV and run some tests with my wife applying the brakes while I stand next to the RV and listen.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha - someday I'll learn to read the signatures right! maybe.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    ha - someday I'll learn to read the signatures right! maybe.....
    My signature is pretty "busy" so it's easy to confuse trucks and RV's.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback Rob. I know your 310GK is set up similarly to mine as far as the brakes go. You have a great point about the floor of the compartment amplifying the noise.

The brakes operate as I expect them to but since I've never had a trailer with a hydraulic actuator, I didn't realize it made noise. I was expecting silence. I still plan to pay close attention to the brakes when I get back to the RV and run some tests with my wife applying the brakes while I stand next to the RV and listen.
    I installed the Kodiak disk brake system in my 320G and it will make the noise when your on the brakes whether by pedal or manually activating the electric brake controller. It’s hard for me to hear at a stop but with the windows down I can. I did mount my electric hydraulic brake booster under my LP tank on the passengers side. I also upgraded to 8k bearings so I could have wet hubs, no more annual bearing packing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4B096552-DCAD-4F6C-BF6D-E940ABE6C553.jpeg   F2B7E589-FEE3-47CB-9DDC-97BDFE9BA7C0.jpeg  
    Last edited by mostad; 05-09-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    2021 F350 CC LB
    DW, diesel, 4x4
    2020 Momentum 320G

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=When I come to a stop and hold my foot on the brake, the brake actuator in the front compartment of the RV will start buzzing.[/QUOTE]

Just a comment... I just installed the Kodiak system with the Hydrostar actuator on our Solitude 379FL in March. hope I never see another double-flare on 3/16 tubing again! I'm just being petty, but the Hydrostar manual says that once the vehicle is stopped the brake pedal should not be used to hold the load for more than a few seconds as it could easily overheat the actuator... I said it was petty!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    ...but the Hydrostar manual says that once the vehicle is stopped the brake pedal should not be used to hold the load for more than a few seconds as it could easily overheat the actuator...
    I must have missed this in the manual. So are we supposed to put the truck in neutral every time we come to a stop light???? Crazy!
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have missed this in the manual. So are we supposed to put the truck in neutral every time we come to a stop light???? Crazy!
    My original Hydrostar manual (from the installation on the Reflection) said to avoid "prolonged" application such as at railroad crossings, traffic jams/accidents, etc. When I come to a stop, I back off the brake pedal pressure to the least that will keep the truck and trailer from rolling. The noise of the actuator reduces significantly as the load/work are reduced. Never had a problem in four years of doing it that way with the previous rig.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast