User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kodiak disc brake buzzing noise from actuator when applying brakes

I had Kodiak disc brakes installed at MORryde prior to having my Solitude shipped to my dealer. I've only towed it twice (very short distances) since I took delivery so I have very limited experience with these electric over hydraulic brakes.

When I come to a stop and hold my foot on the brake, the brake actuator in the front compartment of the RV will start buzzing. I can hear it from inside the truck if the windows are down. Is it correct for me to assume this noise is normal? It seems rather loud.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I can think of it that it is cycling to keep pressure. Not normal. Check your fluid level and look for a leak in the system.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have own two toy haulers with Kodiak brakes. The Carlisle Hydrostar (the brand that I have) actuator will make a buzzing noice when actuated. It is loud enough to be noticeable, however, I cannot hear it when driving down the road. You are hearing the pressure pump running whenever you apply current (braking) to the actuator. This is normal.

Go pull your brake breakaway switch pin, push it back in, and see if that is the sound you are hearing. Yes, the first time you hear it will catch your attention. Remember its is a master cylinder that is pressurized with an electric motor. Not a vacuum assist like your truck might have.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on what Vonzoog said.

The pulling of the breakaway switch is also a very good maintenance test. I had one of those switches rust out and quit working. So every other month or so I take a second and pull the breakaway switch, pump comes on, I know the breakaway brakes are working. I put the little stick back in and the buzzing stops.

Also, my breakaway cable is just tad short, so when I am trying to back into a very tight spot it will sometimes pull out causing the brakes to lock up and stopping you abruptly. First time it happened I freaked out thinking I had run over a Volkswagen. But as soon as I got out of the cab to check I heard the pump buzzing and knew immediately what had happened.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I'll pull the breakaway cable next time I'm at the RV.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    I have own two toy haulers with Kodiak brakes. The Carlisle Hydrostar (the brand that I have) actuator will make a buzzing noice when actuated. It is loud enough to be noticeable, however, I cannot hear it when driving down the road. You are hearing the pressure pump running whenever you apply current (braking) to the actuator. This is normal.
    Interesting. I have Titan disc brakes and cannot hear my actuator.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have definitive data on this but IIRC, when I initially apply the brakes, I don't hear anything. If I stay with my foot on the brake for a few seconds, that's when I hear the actuator pump. I could be wrong. It may start making the noise right away. I just need to do some tests and pay more attention to it. I figured it was normal since MORryde did the install and that's what they do for a living (among other things). But I wasn't able to find anything with searching Google, here, YT or elsewhere so I figured I'd ask here since I know several folks have Kodiak brakes.

I first noticed it while stopping at the security gate at the RV parking lot while my wife got out to enter the key code to open the gate. Right away she asked "what is that noise???"
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Interesting. I have Titan disc brakes and cannot hear my actuator.
    Has nothing to do with the brand of disc brakes. Not sure what brand actuator you have. Both of my disc brake installations have use the Carlisle Hydrostar actuator and their mounting location in both of my cases are hearable if standing by the parked RV. Cannot hear it at all while driving down the road.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Hydrostar actuator. I can't hear it while driving because my foot isn't on the brake
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is normal to be able to hear the actuator pump at slow speeds or when stopped with the windows down and the brakes applied. The volume can be more or less depending on the surface to which the actuator is mounted and where it is located in relation to the driver's seat of the truck. In our Reflection, the actuator was mounted on the metal floor (rather thin floor, too) in front of the battery on the driver's side in the front compartment of the trailer. With the drivers or left rear window down in the truck at low speeds (like when maneuvering in an RV park or stopped at an intersection), it was very audible if I had my window down. The metal floor of the compartment acted like the body of a guitar. In our new Solitude, the actuator is mounted behind the batteries which are on the passenger side, now, to a substantial vertical surface of a frame member. The surroundings have to be quiet (no semi idling next to me) and I have to really pay attention to be able to hear it. In other words, the sound is normal, but whether or not you hear it varies.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 04-28-2020 at 06:15 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast