User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide out eating rubber seal

Brand new 23bhe and noticed the slide is eating the rubber seal on one side on the lower slide. Is this normal? The others three points have a small gap and don't exhibit the symptom. First trailer with a slide so I am not sure.

ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200428_220614.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	26232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200428_220605.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	26233

Sent from my OP7 Pro using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TriNbci200

Here’s a video on how to inspect your slide parts. Your picture definitely shows something is wrong and the part that’s getting chewed up is called the bulb seal (wiper seal is above, left, “wiping” the white body of the slide box). Our bulb seals don’t seem to be as fat as yours, and they have a pleat on either side. Since only 1 of the 4 rails is making contact, I’d tell the dealer some alignment of the slide needs adjustment. Also, some folks here have replaced bulb and wiper seals themselves. You can search for relevant threads above. N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Video sure leaves a lot unexplained about inspecting internals like V-rollers and floor rollers. It's not even very definitive on what to look for/verify with the seals.

In my experience, this vagueness is typical of a lot of Lippert videos.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Video sure leaves a lot unexplained about inspecting internals like V-rollers and floor rollers. It's not even very definitive on what to look for/verify with the seals.

In my experience, this vagueness is typical of a lot of Lippert videos.

-Steve
    I agree, but was mainly looking to see a view of the gear rail (to compare with OP’s picture). Is it possible that one rail is defective-out of specs, with the gear receiver part a bit proud of the rail?
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I have an appointment scheduled for service next week.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chizetown View Post
    Thanks, I have an appointment scheduled for service next week.
    Let us know the outcome, please. Since I posted above, I’ve opened our slide (kept it closed for the recent onset of rain) and our seal does look like yours, but ours is stiffer, not so flaccid. Also, there’s a recently resurrected older thread about alignment of slides and tearing of bulb seals, mostly on Solitudes, though. N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Let us know the outcome, please. Since I posted above, I’ve opened our slide (kept it closed for the recent onset of rain) and our seal does look like yours, but ours is stiffer, not so flaccid. Also, there’s a recently resurrected older thread about alignment of slides and tearing of bulb seals, mostly on Solitudes, though. N
    Will do. I will be out of town the week it is going in for service but I will let everyone know. I did some more looking and I noticed it is also doing this on the top left side. So it appears it must be cocked a little. Bottom right and top left are the problem areas.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chizetown View Post
    Will do. I will be out of town the week it is going in for service but I will let everyone know. I did some more looking and I noticed it is also doing this on the top left side. So it appears it must be cocked a little. Bottom right and top left are the problem areas.

Our unit did the exact same thing, on all four rails when we got it new last year (both sides, top and bottom). I asked Grand Design about it and they asked that I take it on for servicing. It looks like they replaced the bulb seals and the wiper seals, and moved the assembly that holds the seals to allow clearance between the bulb seal and the rail. Let me know how your fix goes, I'd be curious to see if it's the same story.