User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

390RK-R...a couple of questions (generator addition / backup camera integration)

Good morning, All. I have a couple of questions about the 390RK-R.

1. Has anyone had an aftermarket generator installed? If so, what size generator fits in the front compartment (will a 6500 fit) and did you have an LP generator installed?

2. Does anyone have experience integrating a backup camera with the factory screen on the newer Ram trucks with the 12” display? I see that Mopar offers a part but wondering if anyone has had experience with the integration.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    Steve and Jeneen (and Xyro our German Shepherd)
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited 4WD Crew Cab Dually
    HO Cummins and Ansin trans, factory auto-level suspension, factory 30k fifth wheel hitch
    Favorite vehicle in the garage - Kubota RTV1100 :cool:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use any Onan QG series generator, they are all the same physical size. I would recommend the Commercial QG 6500w Propane model since your trailer does not have a gas fuel station like the Momentums do. The 6500w is about $1500 more than the 5500w, so your call if you want/need the additional capacity. I recommend the Commercial QG (white) over the RV QG (green) so that you can get a proper 120/240v generator. The RV QG are 120v only. This will help down the road if you want to install inverters to power the trailer off of battery. The RV QG and Commercial QG are pretty much the same price when done aftermarket. The only difference is the shell color and the stator configuration.

For camera, I just use the Furrion built in bracket and have the screen mounted in my truck separate from the built-in.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. I will likely go with a similar camera/screen like you describe but didn’t have a good experience with the last Furrion wireless camera in our 303 as it hardly ever stayed on even after installing the booster. I’ll keep doing some additional research on options as I really only used it when backing the fifth wheel, not really for “observation”. The dealer we are working with on a new GD mentioned I may need a Lippert adapter to power the camera....something about tricking it into staying on...not sure what they are referring to...I’ll dig into that at some point as well

I appreciate the feedback on the generator as well.

Steve
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    HO Cummins and Ansin trans, factory auto-level suspension, factory 30k fifth wheel hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelgas View Post
    Thanks for the response. I will likely go with a similar camera/screen like you describe but didn’t have a good experience with the last Furrion wireless camera in our 303 as it hardly ever stayed on even after installing the booster. I’ll keep doing some additional research on options as I really only used it when backing the fifth wheel, not really for “observation”. The dealer we are working with on a new GD mentioned I may need a Lippert adapter to power the camera....something about tricking it into staying on...not sure what they are referring to...I’ll dig into that at some point as well

I appreciate the feedback on the generator as well.

Steve
    This may be a difference between the Observation camera (which is always on) vs the Backup camera, which is tied to either reverse or running lights or something.

I got this set:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3X7XB8/

Has worked great for me with no boosters or trickery needed. Plug and play.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is expensive...will look into it...is there a decided reason you came to this conclusion based on your pre-purchase research? Great reviews but also on the high end of options.

Thanks in advance
    Steve

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it does include 4 cameras, that is a big part of the price. I have 3 installed on my trailer in the side marker and rear positions. Ease of install and good reviews were my main driver.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood. Curious,.if one on each side and one in top center of rear, where specifically.did you install the 4th camera?

Thanks
    Steve

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t thoroughly read, it appears you only installed 3...
    My apologies...
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I am not sure what I wan't to do with that 4th one yet. Mounting it on the truck looking into the bed could be useful, but I also just want to get a new 2020 GMC HD truck that has all of those cameras already.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelgas View Post
    Wow, that is expensive...will look into it...is there a decided reason you came to this conclusion based on your pre-purchase research? Great reviews but also on the high end of options. Thanks in advance Steve
    We have the Furrion set too like @cookinwitdiesel, three cameras, didn't buy the fourth one. My "pre-purchase research" involved owning the Furrion Observation camera - an earlier product - for a year before trading trailers. The Furrion system works reliably, sufficient quality to do the job, not perfect but I haven't seen anyone convincing that another product is more perfect than this one is.

You mentioned "expensive"... the price you saw is for all four cameras plus monitor. It's possible to start with just the rear-view camera and the 7" (or 5") monitor and add side cameras later. You can add the fourth camera later too... Furrion markets it as a "door security camera" but using it would involve not only installing it but also installing a 12V plug somewhere inside the trailer and bringing the monitor in from the truck to watch inside. I have the impression that few people do this.

I recommend the 7" monitor - quite a bit easier to see what's going on, especially in multi-camera view when you're choosing which camera to monitor. (Note that the system does not let you watch all cameras at once - it displays all just long enough to select one to watch, making it easy to select a different one at any time.)

Hope this helps. Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast