User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are also interested in TN as a domicile. Plan to retire in a couple of years- We looked at Texas but auto insurance and health insurance is higher than Tn. Plus texas requires the special CDL RV license for those who pull Rv topping legal weights

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chap442 View Post
    We are also interested in TN as a domicile. Plan to retire in a couple of years- We looked at Texas but auto insurance and health insurance is higher than Tn. Plus texas requires the special CDL RV license for those who pull Rv topping legal weights
    Texas does not require a "CDL." It is a Non-Commercial Class A or B exempt. Way different. Also, Tennessee has the highest sales taxes we've encountered anywhere in the country. TN has a personal income tax where TX does not. Finally, once you pay sales tax on your RV or motor vehicles in Texas, there are no annual ad valorem taxes on them - just very reasonable registration renewal fees (which you can do from anywhere in the country on-line). Our auto insurance (USAA) is no higher in Texas than anywhere else I was stationed in the Army - it all depends on the ZIP code.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the secrets to using a UPS store for insurance and banking is to NOT use one that has an address line "something something something #x PMB y". PMB is an automatic fail, Anything after the first "#" is an automatic fail.

If your address is "something something something # x", that looks like an apartment and will more often than not pass bank and other scrutiny. You can also substitute "Apt" or "Unit" or even "Spc" for the "#" and the mail will arrive correctly.

Let me give you an example.

There is a UPS store in Salt Lake City that is "xxxx South xxxx East". Your mailbox address if you use it is "xxxx South xxxx East #yyy ". That passes. It works for insurance, banking, etc. It shows up on most services as an apartment building.

There is a UPS store in another city that has an address of "xxx North xxx West #1 ". Your address becomes "xxx North xxx West #1 PMB yyy". That fails the test. Some folks have tried "xxx North xxx West #1 and on the next line "# yyy" or Apt. yyy". That also fails.

It's not guaranteed every time, but I have seen this myself and others have reported it too.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    One of the secrets to using a UPS store for insurance and banking is to NOT use one that has an address line "something something something #x PMB y". PMB is an automatic fail, Anything after the first "#" is an automatic fail.

If your address is "something something something # x", that looks like an apartment and will more often than not pass bank and other scrutiny. You can also substitute "Apt" or "Unit" or even "Spc" for the "#" and the mail will arrive correctly.

Let me give you an example.

There is a UPS store in Salt Lake City that is "xxxx South xxxx East". Your mailbox address if you use it is "xxxx South xxxx East #yyy ". That passes. It works for insurance, banking, etc. It shows up on most services as an apartment building.

There is a UPS store in another city that has an address of "xxx North xxx West #1 ". Your address becomes "xxx North xxx West #1 PMB yyy". That fails the test. Some folks have tried "xxx North xxx West #1 and on the next line "# yyy" or Apt. yyy". That also fails.

It's not guaranteed every time, but I have seen this myself and others have reported it too.
    Hmmm... our Escapees mail service address is [street number/street name], #[PMB number], city, state, ZIP. USAA doesn't have a problem with it for banking nor insurance, the IRS doesn't have a problem with it, Essex Credit & Bank of the West didn't have a problem with it this winter when we applied for an RV loan, TSA lets us fly using that address and, almost two years ago we applied for TSA Pre with that background check (including passports, etc.) and all that entails. My wife's took a few weeks longer to come back than mine did - but she has both Argentine and US State Department birth certificates. So, I don't know where you get your "automatic fail" from.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I don't know where you get your "automatic fail" from.

Rob
    It's part of "reading for comprehension". The first sentence of my post...

"One of the secrets to using a UPS store..."

You are using Escapees. They are not a UPS store. I will ask, does your address on your DL say "PMB" anywhere, or just "#xxx"?
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    It's part of "reading for comprehension". The first sentence of my post...

"One of the secrets to using a UPS store..."

You are using Escapees. They are not a UPS store. I will ask, does your address on your DL say "PMB" anywhere, or just "#xxx"?
    That's a condescending and insulting response. To quote you: "...Anything after the first "#" is an automatic fail." I didn't earn two graduate degrees not knowing how to read.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 06-06-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread gave me something to think about. I never really considered Tennessee, but they don't have state income tax. That could be a HUGE plus, considering I owe my current home state about $3000... Question is, will Tennessee tax your RV and cars?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    This thread gave me something to think about. I never really considered Tennessee, but they don't have state income tax. That could be a HUGE plus, considering I owe my current home state about $3000... Question is, will Tennessee tax your RV and cars?
    Apparently not: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...tate=Tennessee

There's more to selecting a domicile state for full-timing than taxes, though...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Apparently not: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...tate=Tennessee

There's more to selecting a domicile state for full-timing than taxes, though...

Rob
    I left in May so I got the rest of the year to think about tax’s. But I think the tax on vehicles is in the tag. My RV tag is about $70 a year and truck is $106 but thats an F-tag (fighter) and have to show up in person to get that one
    We’ll see at year end
    Otto

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoN4it View Post
    I left in May so I got the rest of the year to think about tax’s. But I think the tax on vehicles is in the tag. My RV tag is about $70 a year and truck is $106 but thats an F-tag (fighter) and have to show up in person to get that one
    We’ll see at year end
    Otto
    So how did this all shake out using TN as a domicile? We have plans to relocate to TN (from WI) in Mar/Apr next year, living in our 303 for a few months until a house is built.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast