Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domicile in tennessee

Hello all
    My wife and I are at the edge of full timing. I thought everything was in place. I set up a traveling mail box address, even had mail going there. Then Medicare called, said they googled our domicile location and saw it was a business, and they don’t meet their specs. I called the state of Tennessee ( its hard to get through to anyone right now with the lockdown) they couldn’t help me. We have also contacted our State Rep. and waiting and waiting for information. Traveling mailbox said it is a play on words with these physical address. I need to make sure my tags and TDL is right also. The sell of my house is may 15 and we’re out. I could use some good quick help Without a play on words)

Thanks
    Otto
    Otto @ Susan
    2017 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
    2018 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Dakota seems to be a popular and full time friendly domicile state. All you need is 1 overnight stay in the state to claim residence there. Maybe there are better "physical" address options there?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does Medicare care whether it’s a business or not?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The three most popular states for domicile for full-timers are Florida, Texas and South Dakota. There are mail services set up in all three states that meet the requirements for Medicare, TSA, IRS, etc., and several have withstood the test in the court systems. We are with Escapees with a Texas address and it works very well. Escapees also offers Florida domicile and addresses. Don't know what to tell you about Tennessee.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoN4it View Post
    Hello all
    My wife and I are at the edge of full timing. I thought everything was in place. I set up a traveling mail box address, even had mail going there. Then Medicare called, said they googled our domicile location and saw it was a business, and they don’t meet their specs. I called the state of Tennessee ( its hard to get through to anyone right now with the lockdown) they couldn’t help me. We have also contacted our State Rep. and waiting and waiting for information. Traveling mailbox said it is a play on words with these physical address. I need to make sure my tags and TDL is right also. The sell of my house is may 15 and we’re out. I could use some good quick help Without a play on words)

Thanks
    Otto
    Residency & Domicile issues have always been a hot topic. You might check out the Escapees website (https://www.escapees.com/?s=residency) they have a lot of good information that relates specifically to the RV lifestyle and this topic. Good luck! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    South Dakota seems to be a popular and full time friendly domicile state. All you need is 1 overnight stay in the state to claim residence there. Maybe there are better "physical" address options there?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The Escapees link I just referenced has a recent article on the advantages of South Dakota. Good info!

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all

Thanks
    Otto
    I am new to Medicare so I don’t know how they make contact but my question is does Medicare call and why would they be using google when they have all their government resources. Did you contact Medicare through their official contact channels and verify the information? Is this a scam?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    I am new to Medicare so I don’t know how they make contact but my question is does Medicare call and why would they be using google when they have all their government resources. Did you contact Medicare through their official contact channels and verify the information? Is this a scam?
    We where in the process of changing everything over. House is under a contract. Ready to go. Medicare calls to verify new address. They said they looked it up and UPS store does not qualify. Now TM says its all on how you formate you language. Thats not good enough for me because when the time comes ii need medicare or car insurance and they say no because of a gray area thats my problem i have. Even the state can’t give me a straight answer

Just sayn

Otto
    Last edited by GoN4it; 05-03-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We where in the process of changing everything over. House is under a contract. Ready to go. Medicare calls to verify new address. They said they looked it up and UPS store does not qualify. Now TM says its all on how you formate you language. Thats not good enough for me because when the time comes ii need medicare or car insurance and they say no because of a gray area thats my problem i have. Even the state can’t give me a straight answer

Just sayn

Otto
    Check into South Dakota. We are full time and spend a lot of time in the west where we meet a lot of people that use the mail box services in South Dakota and no one has ever mentioned problems as you describe. We have a physical address in South Dakota so we don’t use the mail box services. I think the mail services give you a physical address and not just a PO box. The state of South Dakota likes RVers. They get the money and not the people. To become a resident, register a vehicle and get plates all you need is a receipt for one nights stay at a motel, lodging or RV park. They don’t care how big your rig is or how big your truck is as long as you don’t use it commercially. Sales tax on vehicles is 4% and yearly registration is very reasonable. If you get called for jury duty you just contact them and tell them you are a full time rver and they say OK you are excused.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a close friend or relative that has an address that you can use? That's what I would do since the rest of your business is all arranged for.

With Tennessee being in the middle of the country, I assume you'll be going thru the Volunteer State pretty often in your travels.

To setup residence in the three popular states, at least one trip there will be required and each is really off the beaten path.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast