User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Just got the heat shield. It appears to be a legitimate heat shield. Foil facing with 1/4" of fireproof ceramic fiber insulation behind it. Seems pretty substantial and will do the trick nicely! Instructions for two different types of microwave installs included (with o/head cabinet and W/O). Great job by Grand design (better if they had done this to begin with but they DID do a fix).
    Bob - before you install it, post a picture(s) of it for future reference if it works for you if you would be so kind. I suspect there will be questions on this for some time to come. Having a picture(s) to share with other folks in the future is often helpful. Maybe even a picture of your wall before and after installing would be good as well.

Thanks,

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    thanks. talked to them this a.m. mine's on the way.
    HI Charley,

What brand of convection/microwave do you have in your 297RSTS? I have a Furrion and plan on calling GD for them to send the heat shield to me too but just want to confirm if we both have the same brand of unit.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Bob - before you install it, post a picture(s) of it for future reference if it works for you if you would be so kind. I suspect there will be questions on this for some time to come. Having a picture(s) to share with other folks in the future is often helpful. Maybe even a picture of your wall before and after installing would be good as well.

Thanks,

Dan
    Crap - I already installed it and never gave a thought to pictures... It's a pretty straight forward process. Which I'll try to give some detail to. By the way, I had only used the convection feature a couple of times for short periods. There was no damage to the wall at all. On the other hand, the wall was a piece of wood type paneling found no where else in the rig except the bunkroom between the desk/dresser and the upper cupboards. But still - no damage.
    This kit will come with instructions which are clear to an extent for both a microwave/Convection oven (from now on the unit) installed with cupboards overhead, and for NO cupboards overhead (which is the case for the 31MB). I will detail my situation of no Cupboards overhead.
    1. Remove the vent cover at the top of the unit. This is plastic and simply requires tugging on each end to get it loose, then gently pull away from the unit, insuring the
    middle is loose also. It is Tight, but will come off. Take everything out of the unit.
    2. There are 4-5 screws in the upper flange holding the unit to the upper support - mine had 5, but the instructions show 4. These are a brass colored screw which take a
    square drive bit. A #2 Phillips will work, but not as well and may strip the
    screwheads. In which case you are screwed.
    3. Remove the screws starting from each end - leave the center screw for last. If you do not have help, cut a board to help support the unit when you remove the last screw.
    I used a piece of 1x6 over the
    stove top, then cut a 2x4 to 1/2" less than the height needed (1x6 thickness is 3/4 inch thick. Then 17" of 2X4 to fit under the unit - MEASURE YOURSELF - DO NOT USE
    THESE DIMENSIONS - THEY COULD BE DIFFERENT). Please note - there is a bracket that holds the back of the unit - it will not fall as long as you hold the front of the unit
    up.
    4. Remove the last screw supporting the front of the unit with help, or the aforementioned support boards.
    5. Tilt the unit down about 6" to 8" in the front, then lift up on the back of the unit to free it from the bracket. Slide forward slightly (3-4 inches) and set it down. Depending
    on your place of installation you
    may have to unplug the unit and move it to a counter or other secure flat surface. in my case, it's over the stove top. I just set it down, with my son (who conveniently
    show up to get the grandkids)
    helping me. the unit is not heavy, but having help makes it much easier.
    6. Remove the protective backing from the heat shield and place it about 1" inch above the bracket (or a little more) that holds the unit. Press firmly to the wall.
    7. Reverse the process to reinstall the unit. Insure that you reinstall the vent cover at the top of the unit correctly. If not the unit door will not close properly, or will pop
    open.

Word of caution - if you are not comfortable doing this - then DON'T DO IT. While not hard it's like any other project - you need to pay attention to what you are doing.
    Also, don't drop one of the screws down into the open frame/cover of the unit. If you do, you will absolutely need help in shaking the unit and rotating it upside down to get it out - believe me I know .
    It's also helpful to have a granddaughter (say 7-8 years old) to look around on the floor for the screw you dropped.
    All in all actually about a 40 minute tops install. Hope this helps, and if you have questions, ask away.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 05-05-2020 at 05:17 PM. Reason: lots of problems with formatting
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    HI Charley,

What brand of convection/microwave do you have in your 297RSTS? I have a Furrion and plan on calling GD for them to send the heat shield to me too but just want to confirm if we both have the same brand of unit.

Thanks,
    Rob
    it's a furion, but i don't think it matters. the letter is non-specific, leading me to believe it's a generic fix.

at least i'll be able to spend a few minutes in my rig this spring while i'm fixing this. i hope this mess clears out by august, so we can make our trip out west via the mich u.p. lol
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    it's a furion, but i don't think it matters. the letter is non-specific, leading me to believe it's a generic fix.

at least i'll be able to spend a few minutes in my rig this spring while i'm fixing this. i hope this mess clears out by august, so we can make our trip out west via the mich u.p. lol
    Thanks Charley,

I have a bunch of things I need to do on ours like install the back up camera, kitchen slide out awning and likely this now. Hopefully can do some camping this year too.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Crap - I already installed it and never gave a thought to pictures... It's a pretty straight forward process. Which I'll try to give some detail to. By the way, I had only used the convection feature a couple of times for short periods. There was no damage to the wall at all. On the other hand, the wall was a piece of wood type paneling found no where else in the rig except the bunkroom between the desk/dresser and the upper cupboards. But still - no damage.
    This kit will come with instructions which are clear to an extent for both a microwave/Convection oven (from now on the unit) installed with cupboards overhead, and for NO cupboards overhead (which is the case for the 31MB). I will detail my situation of no Cupboards overhead.
    1. Remove the vent cover at the top of the unit. This is plastic and simply requires tugging on each end to get it loose, then gently pull away from the unit, insuring the
    middle is loose also. It is Tight, but will come off. Take everything out of the unit.
    2. There are 4-5 screws in the upper flange holding the unit to the upper support - mine had 5, but the instructions show 4. These are a brass colored screw which take a
    square drive bit. A #2 Phillips will work, but not as well and may strip the
    screwheads. In which case you are screwed.
    3. Remove the screws starting from each end - leave the center screw for last. If you do not have help, cut a board to help support the unit when you remove the last screw.
    I used a piece of 1x6 over the
    stove top, then cut a 2x4 to 1/2" less than the height needed (1x6 thickness is 3/4 inch thick. Then 17" of 2X4 to fit under the unit - MEASURE YOURSELF - DO NOT USE
    THESE DIMENSIONS - THEY COULD BE DIFFERENT). Please note - there is a bracket that holds the back of the unit - it will not fall as long as you hold the front of the unit
    up.
    4. Remove the last screw supporting the front of the unit with help, or the aforementioned support boards.
    5. Tilt the unit down about 6" to 8" in the front, then lift up on the back of the unit to free it from the bracket. Slide forward slightly (3-4 inches) and set it down. Depending
    on your place of installation you
    may have to unplug the unit and move it to a counter or other secure flat surface. in my case, it's over the stove top. I just set it down, with my son (who conveniently
    show up to get the grandkids)
    helping me. the unit is not heavy, but having help makes it much easier.
    6. Remove the protective backing from the heat shield and place it about 1" inch above the bracket (or a little more) that holds the unit. Press firmly to the wall.
    7. Reverse the process to reinstall the unit. Insure that you reinstall the vent cover at the top of the unit correctly. If not the unit door will not close properly, or will pop
    open.

Word of caution - if you are not comfortable doing this - then DON'T DO IT. While not hard it's like any other project - you need to pay attention to what you are doing.
    Also, don't drop one of the screws down into the open frame/cover of the unit. If you do, you will absolutely need help in shaking the unit and rotating it upside down to get it out - believe me I know .
    It's also helpful to have a granddaughter (say 7-8 years old) to look around on the floor for the screw you dropped.
    All in all actually about a 40 minute tops install. Hope this helps, and if you have questions, ask away.
    Bob - no problem about the pictures. Howard received his as noted in the other forum and posted pictures and the instructions as you shared here. Thank you, for doing this !

And, yes, thank goodness for the nimble and helpful grandchildren with good eyesight !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    PS: You want to have someone to help you remove and re-install the Microwave, it's just easier that way.
    This is golden advice. The two retaining bolts that come down from the cabinet above (in the 310GK) are about three inches long. One of mine had an area of damaged threads at the last 1/8th inch. I had to turn it out with a channel lock pliers to get the last bit out. I suspect it was damaged upon installation. Fortunately, I had someone holding the bottom of the Micro to keep it from falling. Would have required blocking and wedging to support unit otherwise.

Other than that issue, it was easy to do. Once the oven was down I could measure and inspect everything. See first photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MW1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	26331

I cut a piece of .02 aluminum and screwed it directly to the wall. I decided against an air gap, because there is not much clearance between the wall and the Micro. I did not want to find out it's too tall when trying to put the Micro back in. Second photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MW2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	26332

The whole process took about 1.5 hours. Mostly because I was being very careful.
    I did find the low voltage wire running over the top of the Micro (black wire) was a bit stressed (compressed) at the two sides. It should be OK, but I will remember those points if there is a failure down the road.

I hope this gives some confidence to those thinking about a DIY solution. The Grand Design kit, or your own, should be easy to do and not take much time at all. Much faster than hauling the entire rig to a dealer and waiting ??? and then hauling it back.

Be Safe;
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Almost sounds like sticky back foil. I remember the pics of a scorched wall showing smoke trails. Seems to me their not needed fix isn't much of a protective measure. I'd rather see s sheet of metal spaced away from the wall with air flow allowed.
    Actually the material is foil faced Ceramic insulation about 1/4 inch thick. Marcy - maybe you could merge this thread with the one in General tech? I posted detail on install in that thread (9but without pics cause I'm an idiot...).
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad idea, the posts may seem a bit jumbled because they transfer in chronological order of posting
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sgt Roc:
    Thanks a million for this post. Just received the letter from G.D. re the heat shield. Our unit is a '18 303RLS and there are NO cupboards above the microwave/convection oven, so although I have removed/replaced a couple of residential microwaves (with retaining screws from the cupboard above) I thought that removing the one in our trailer would be a simple DIY job - until I discovered that there were no cupboards above. I experimented slightly with tugging on the vent cover, but chickened out when it did not seem to want to move. After reading your post, I will just be a little more firm with it !

...VTX-Al

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast