User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    Maybe it’s just late, and I’m not thinking clearly, but why turn off the furnace? It’s propane, and the only real electrical draw is to run the blower. I currently have mine hooked up to a 20A circuit in my garage, with the thermostat set to 38, so that it only comes on if it’s getting close to freezing. We’re expecting a low of 24 later in the week.

And, by the way, you’re always at 110 volts (hopefully). You’re just changing the amount of current available for use from 50 amps (some would say 100 if you consider both legs of the hook-up) to either 15 or 20 amps, depending on the circuit that you are hooking up to.

Thanks,
    Since you didn’t quote anyone we have no way of knowing who you’re asking so I’ll assume you meant me.
    I suggested turning the furnace off along with the other items because running them all at the same time might overload a 15a circuit.
    That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Since you didn’t quote anyone we have no way of knowing who you’re asking so I’ll assume you meant me.
    I suggested turning the furnace off along with the other items because running them all at the same time might overload a 15a circuit.
    That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was a question in general, as a couple of people agreed on turning off the furnace. In my case, that’s all I leave on.

Thanks
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It was a question in general, as a couple of people agreed on turning off the furnace.
    In my case, that’s all I leave on.

Thanks
    Then yea, you'd be fine.

: )
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a question in general, as a couple of people agreed on turning off the furnace. In my case, that’s all I leave on.

Thanks
    Tom,

The big current draws are AC, Electric Water Heater, Microwave, fireplace heaters, Toasters, hair dryers etc. You should not run those when plugged into a 15-20 amp 120v circuit. Most other devices can be used.

While plugged in your converter will be supplying 12 volts to lights and charging the house battery. Initially I see 6 amps draw from the converter until battery is topped off then it drops to about 1-2 amps.

AC draws 15-16 amps
    Microwave draws is 12 amps.
    Fireplace heater draws 12 amps
    Last edited by Jerryr; 05-03-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FR8TFLYER View Post
    I'm looking to buy an adapter to run my frig and lights a day or 2 before we leave. i need an adapter but cant remember if my 50 amp outlet is 3 or 4 prongs. Anyone remember? Also any gotchas when using an adapter like this other than not trying to run something greater than 15 amp? this is for a 303 rls Thanks.
    Mostly good advice above but while shopping you might want to prepare for other common hook-up needs as well. Our shore-power hookup "arsenal" includes an adapter to take the 50-amp power cord down to 30 amps, an adapter to take that from 30 amps to 15 amps, a high-quality 100-foot 15-amp extension cord, and a 25-foot 30-amp extension cord.

We've used all of these in our travels, the 30-amp pieces and the 15-amp adapter frequently. The one thing we're missing is a 50-amp extension cord; expensive and (touch wood) so far not required in our travels. We've usually found that 50-amp pedestals are in more-updated campgrounds and located near the side of the trailer, whereas less-up-to-date campgrounds may have have 30-amp pedestals at the back of the site.

https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Adapte...s%2C203&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords...s%2C170&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extensi...s%2C175&sr=8-3

Contrary to advice above you should have no trouble running the furnace and the fridge at the same time on your 15-amp connection.
    Last edited by boyscout; 05-04-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FR8TFLYER View Post
    Appreciate all the helpful input. Without going to check my rv, i am only finding a 3 prong female end to the 50 receptacle. Is that correct?
    303s have always been designed and built with 50 amp service. This means the RV has the 4 prong male connection as folks have mentioned, built into the RV rear wall for early years like our 2014 or into the street side wall near the water heater/furnace area for newer models since 2016ish as I recall.

Thus the factory power cord has the twist on and collar threaded screw on female end to attach to the RV with the other end the male 4 prong end to be plugged into the electrical box/outlet.

It sounds like you are referencing a 30 amp extension cord which can be used with appropriate adapter(s) recognizing proper use to not overload the cord as others here have covered well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have each of these already for just in case, just thought I would not need to ever plug into a 110 outlet. my storage unit only has 110 so I might as well use it.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Mostly good advice above but while shopping you might want to prepare for other common hook-up needs as well. Our shore-power hookup "arsenal" includes an adapter to take the 50-amp power cord down to 30 amps, an adapter to take that from 30 amps to 15 amps, a high-quality 100-foot 15-amp extension cord, and a 25-foot 30-amp extension cord.

We've used all of these in our travels, the 30-amp pieces and the 15-amp adapter frequently. The one thing we're missing is a 50-amp extension cord; expensive and (touch wood) so far not required in our travels. We've usually found that 50-amp pedestals are in more-updated campgrounds and located near the side of the trailer, whereas less-up-to-date campgrounds may have have 30-amp pedestals at the back of the site.

https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Adapte...s%2C203&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords...s%2C170&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extensi...s%2C175&sr=8-3

Contrary to advice above you should have no trouble running the furnace and the fridge at the same time on your 15-amp connection.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More things to buy.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this one, very similar, but puts less stress on the connector.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SX79TV..._xQgSEbHAWFZ9A

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2022 Momentum 23G, previously 2017 Reflection 312BHTS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've gotten some good suggestions above. Here is what I do for a 20 amp connection. I like the idea of the sun killing a good cheaper extension cord as opposed to a good expensive 30 or 50 amp cable. This one is a 90* adapter that will put the least stress on your receptacle. I just noticed this one is unavailable but there are others like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this adapter for 50 amp hookups in order to give the receptacle some strain relief. I use some sort of adapter on every hookup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also carry the same 50 -> 30 amp adapter that @boyscout does. Haven't run into a situation that these adapter solutions wouldn't cover.

I have a different approach to running the rig off the 20 amp circuit. I figure anything I can plug into a 20 amp circuit in my house I should be able to run it in the trailer. I have easily run the microwave on it but I don't try the microwave and the water heater at the same time. You don't have to be afraid, you just have to understand and manage the loads.
    Last edited by JColeman; 05-04-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast