User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gen-Y 5th wheel gooseneck hitches on sale

Most of you are familiar with the Reese goosebox when it comes to a proper gooseneck conversion, the only other reputable player in the game, that I’ve found, making something similar is Gen-Y.

Visually, you can tell this thing is stout, and they have different models depending on what pin weight and towing capacity you need.

I’ve had my eye on these for a few months now and noticed they are up to $300 off right now. I just pulled the trigger on one today and wanted to just post up in case anyone wants to take advantage of the sale.

Now, I must say, my momentum is still waiting to be built, so I’ve never towed with this yet so I have no real life experience with it.
    I also want to mention that technically the Reese goosebox is the only one approved by Lippert. I spoke with Gen-Y about this and they were trying to get approved as well but didn’t see it as being realistic due to the current relationship between lippert and the Reese box.

If anyone else was considering one, they are on sale, so check em out!

The official name is the Gen-Y Executive Fifth-Wheel King Pin to Gooseneck Conversion
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one this spring but I only have one short tow on it. I really liked the way it feels, it's built really well but I mainly got it over the Goosebox because it's so easy. No air bladder to deal with. The only problem I had was backing it into our pad by the river the twist and off camber it actually hit the inside upper edge of the bed. It tore the bed rail cap a little bit. Didn't dent the bed though. I already talked to Gen-Y about a fix but I'm away from home for work and can't get to it for a while. My truck is a '18 Chevy HD long box. I think the Ford beds are wider so probably not a problem.
    '19 Momentum 351M
    '20 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 8' bed

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VPFam5 View Post
    I got one this spring but I only have one short tow on it. I really liked the way it feels, it's built really well but I mainly got it over the Goosebox because it's so easy. No air bladder to deal with. The only problem I had was backing it into our pad by the river the twist and off camber it actually hit the inside upper edge of the bed. It tore the bed rail cap a little bit. Didn't dent the bed though. I already talked to Gen-Y about a fix but I'm away from home for work and can't get to it for a while. My truck is a '18 Chevy HD long box. I think the Ford beds are wider so probably not a problem.
    Thanks! Nice to have some first hand feedback even if it’s limited. Keep me posted on what you conclude on your “issue”.

I probably have at least a month until I’ll have my trailer, probably more like 2 depending when the factory starts back up. But I’ll have my hitch ready and waiting haha.

I have a 2020 Chevy HD, standard bed length though, I wanna say my bed may be a tad wider than you but not 100% sure. Obviously shorter haha.
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46A2C743-935F-40E8-86A7-1515FDB27D52.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	26297

It wouldn't take much more width to clear. Hopefully this pic will load correctly and you can see what it did.
    '19 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	46A2C743-935F-40E8-86A7-1515FDB27D52.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	26297

It wouldn't take much more width to clear. Hopefully this pic will load correctly and you can see what it did.
    Yes the photo shows up just fine, thank you. What part of the hitch hit the side rail?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	86522883-6191-441C-BF48-2C47DFF1B485.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	26298

Here you can see that it was close on flat ground when I tested it. I just want to say that even with this issue, which will be resolved, I think it's a great hitch and I'm really going to like it even more once I do some longer trips with it. It sure is easy not having anything but a ball in the bed. Might be worth trying to measure the bed width of yours compared to a '18-'19. If it's not wider I would talk to Gen-Y since they already know about my problem. The length is just a little bit too long from the ball coupler to the pin box.
    '19 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I just measured my inner rail width and I’m at 62”

I’ll have to verify what 18-19’s were measured from same location.

Yeah I’m pretty excited about towing with it. Love the simplicity and keeping access to the bed as well.

Name:	image0.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	26318

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wonderful wife measured my truck, since I'm in Alaska now and ours is 62" also measuring in the same spot. Parked level before taking that pic I had 7" clearance from bed rail to trailer. Might want to contact Gen-Y about it. My first thought is to go with the 2" raised B&W ball, but I don't really want to raise it at the truck anymore. Their options are to build a different one that's two inches shorter from ball coupling to pinbox, or to redrill the holes on on it to bolt to the pinbox two inches shorter. I know it will get squared away but it will be a pain to take care of it now that it's mounted.
    '19 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wonderful wife measured my truck, since I'm in Alaska now and ours is 62" also measuring in the same spot. Parked level before taking that pic I had 7" clearance from bed rail to trailer. Might want to contact Gen-Y about it. My first thought is to go with the 2" raised B&W ball, but I don't really want to raise it at the truck anymore. Their options are to build a different one that's two inches shorter from ball coupling to pinbox, or to redrill the holes on on it to bolt to the pinbox two inches shorter. I know it will get squared away but it will be a pain to take care of it now that it's mounted.
    Thank you, and thanks to your wife as well! Mine hasn’t even shipped yet so I’ll give them a call tomorrow to talk about it.
    Thanks for all the info on this, perfect timing, for me ha.

And enjoy AK, I spent 5 years in Fairbanks and loved every second.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did GenY get back to you with a solution? I have a 2020 Ram 3500 with the same 62 inch bed width.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast