And the victim....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20210418_225803336.jpg  

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_And_Desflurane View Post

Also, what do you guys think about the clearance between my bed rails and the front cap on the ri
    Hard to tell without a tape measure. I measured my fist and it was about 4 inches. From the picture it looks like you have about 2 fists, giving ~8"? If so that sounds good.

Is yours a long bed truck? If it is a short bed pay very close attention to your turn radius. The Momentums are wide body and I bet you will hit your cab with the camper if the turn is too tight. My Ram Megacab is shorter than many, and I watch it closely when backing in. And I have a Reflection which is narrower than yours. If yours is a long bed then probably not a big concern, but watch everything until you get a feel for your setup.

I cannot answer the question about making sure the hitch is locked. I do not have one. What you described sounds​ correct. The manual should tell you.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welp, frustrating weekend at my campsite.

I received the GenY and recruited a couple neighbors to help me install -- that is at a minimum a three man job. Three of us lifted it into place, with lots of sweating and cursing, and my wife slid the bolts in. Got em torqued down.

Today I tried to hook up, just to read just us in our current site.

I'm in a 2014 F450. With the 376TH's front jacks extended all the way, the gen Y hangs just high enough to BARELY clear the bed of the truck, with no hope of getting it over the ball.

It is installed in the lowest position, as I was concerned about clearance between the bed rails. (I'm mounting to a standard BW Turnover ball, can't use the 3" high raised one in the installed hitch system)

My truck isn't lifted, but the campsite is at a slight angle, where I'm backing the truck up slightly up hill. I don't think this is going to be possible for me. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to NOT have to unbolt and figure out how to ship it back to Gen Y.

Pics are from after giving up hitching up for the day and leveling back out, just to give an idea of what I'm working with. Again, with the jacks fully extended up front I'm still way too low to get over the ball. Mounting it up higher by one slot on the pinbox would only net me an additional 1" maybe, which won't be enough either.

Attachment 33496Attachment 33497Attachment 33498
    Are your landing jacks resting on the campsite or on blocks? I have my landing gear on (3) 2x10 slats plus one plastic leveling square to give it some height. The newer GM trucks sit higher too which is why I do this. Glad to see you were able to get it all hooked up!!
    Last edited by SmokeyBear; 04-19-2021 at 06:48 AM.
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3500
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    Gen Y 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Conversion

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! The jacks are on the ground. I just purchased some of the leveling blocks off Amazon this morning, and think I may use them next time we hitch and unhitch. Is it ok to use them underneath gear that is equipped with those snap pads on the feet? Ours has those from previous owner.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! The jacks are on the ground. I just purchased some of the leveling blocks off Amazon this morning, and think I may use them next time we hitch and unhitch. Is it ok to use them underneath gear that is equipped with those snap pads on the feet? Ours has those from previous owner.
    Yep, not a problem with SnapPads. I don't have a GenY but do tow with a Goosebox, which is just a horse of another color. Always have at least one (more usually double stack) 2x12s under the front jacks with my SnapPads and always so I have a little extra hitch height in case I've put the RAM back to normal drive height.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only casualty was this dog bowl, which got bit by the kitchen slide.

Also, what do you guys think about the clearance between my bed rails and the front cap on the rig?
    Yeah that kitchen slide can eat most things that get in it's way. If your dinette has the ability to be extended like mine, DON"T forget to slide it back to the stored position before closing the slide or you will crunch the island.

As far as the clearance, before I switched to the GenY, I only had about 5 inches of clearance between my 376TH and F450 Platinum and never had any issues where they touched even after around 10,000 miles which included a lot of uneven driveways, storage units and RV parks. Now with the GenY, I have more clearance, but the most important thing with ride height is that when towing the RV, you want to have the fifth wheel trailer as close to level as possible. I installed some airbags on my 450 to give me some ability to adjust the level of the RV.
    2016 Momentum 376TH
    2016 Ford F450 Platinum - "The Bull"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, WAUSTX. We have very similar set ups, as mine is also a Platinum F450, but a couple year older (2014). Not to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering if you've done any alterations to the valve stems on your F450? Mine are both lined up facing each other and checking pressure/airing up is a PITA. I installed a TST Tire Pressure Monitoring Unit, but there's no way to get it on the inner dually tires. Are you running the stock valve stems on stock tires? If so, do you have any tips for airing up, especially roadside?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, WAUSTX. We have very similar set ups, as mine is also a Platinum F450, but a couple year older (2014). Not to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering if you've done any alterations to the valve stems on your F450? Mine are both lined up facing each other and checking pressure/airing up is a PITA. I installed a TST Tire Pressure Monitoring Unit, but there's no way to get it on the inner dually tires. Are you running the stock valve stems on stock tires? If so, do you have any tips for airing up, especially roadside?
    Since the hijack has occurred, I'll chime in. Run a set of Crossfires to solve your issue. Dual Dynamics can calibrate to any pressure in 5psi increments and can make custom hose lengths and configurations if the standards don't fit your application well. You will have a single fill stem and balanced pressure inner and outer. You can monitor with one TPMS on that, or they make an adapter setup for the Crossfire valve where you can monitor each separately with individual sensors. My dually wears the rear tires perfectly equal since running them (and Centramatics).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Since the hijack has occurred, I'll chime in. Run a set of Crossfires to solve your issue. Dual Dynamics can calibrate to any pressure in 5psi increments and can make custom hose lengths and configurations if the standards don't fit your application well. You will have a single fill stem and balanced pressure inner and outer. You can monitor with one TPMS on that, or they make an adapter setup for the Crossfire valve where you can monitor each separately with individual sensors. My dually wears the rear tires perfectly equal since running them (and Centramatics).
    Thanks for chiming in @geotex1. I don't have anything fancy set up, but have seen the crossfire system installed and was curious. The only issue the guy who had them told me was finding a way to mount it when there are no accessible lugs. I don't find it too inconvenient to check the pressure before every trip, but then I haven't gotten a screw in a truck tire yet. (knock on wood)
    2016 Momentum 376TH
    2016 Ford F450 Platinum - "The Bull"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waustx View Post
    Thanks for chiming in @geotex1. I don't have anything fancy set up, but have seen the crossfire system installed and was curious. The only issue the guy who had them told me was finding a way to mount it when there are no accessible lugs. I don't find it too inconvenient to check the pressure before every trip, but then I haven't gotten a screw in a truck tire yet. (knock on wood)
    Easiest on a dually is to mount on an axle bolt. I've got a picture on the forum somewhere of mine - I'm out of town and don't have the picture or truck with me. However, what I did was get an aftermarket set of OE clone hub covers and cut the center out of them. So they cover the ugly lugnuts but leave the axle end exposed. I made a smaller scale bracket to mount them there, and then gave it and the axle end and bolts a nice coat of POR-15. Nice clean install in the end, and I get asked all the time about them. I am a believer by proof and Dual Dynamics support has always been great to deal with (had mine re-rated at the factory and they made hoses to my spec.). The work exactly as advertised - even isolating when one tires gets a flat (been there, done that, hate it when it's the inner!) - lol.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast