Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Weight distribution questions

Headed out Saturday for our first adventure with our new setup. Fully loaded and added what ended up being about 20 plus gallons of water. Scale results as follows:

Truck: Steer 3420. Drive 2800

Trailer (unhitched): Hitch 1340. Trailer axles 6900

Truck/Trailer with WD: Steer 3320. Drive: 4020. Trailer 7220

After I dumped water: Steer 3320. Drive 3920. Trailer 7140.

This is where weight distribution gets foggy for me. It appears as if there is 320# shifted from hitch to trailer axles from WD which would make my TW 1020. 12.5% of 6900 is 862#. So I think I need to shift some weight back into the trailer axles and/or get rid of some stuff from my front compartment. Am I figuring this right? Or is this where the washers can come into play? Does increasing the tilt send more weight to the trailer axles? Currently 2 washers. GVWR of trailer is 8495. I'd like to make any necessary changes so I can stop at the scales on the way home in a few days. Forgot to take pics at the scales. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jeff
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going by your numbers, you lost weight on the steer axle of the truck.

The WDH should be adding weight to the front axle. You need to make the spring bars work harder (not sure what WDH you have).
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Hunter and be sure trailer (and truck) are level.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with all of the other comments. You need to increase tension on your spring bars to get the steer axle back to unloaded weight for best steering control.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A trailer's tongue weight NEVER changes by using a W.D. hitch. If you start out at say 1340 lbs without the W.D. system, you still have 1340 lb WITH the W.D. system. The job of the W.D. is to redistribute weight both to the front axle and also to the trailer's axle(s)......but the tongue weight never goes away. Obviously if you move some things inside the trailer to the rear, that will lighten the tongue weight, but it also puts more weight on the axles.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Going by your numbers, you lost weight on the steer axle of the truck.

The WDH should be adding weight to the front axle. You need to make the spring bars work harder (not sure what WDH you have).
    I have a ProPride. I'm at 7.5" on the jacks. I realize I need to move 100 more pounds to the front. I raised the jacks to 8" after I pulled out of the scales. Thank you.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McDugals View Post
    It appears as if there is 320# shifted from hitch to trailer axles from WD which would make my TW 1020. 12.5% of 6900 is 862#. So I think I need to shift some weight back into the trailer axles and/or get rid of some stuff from my front compartment. Am I figuring this right? Or is this where the washers can come into play? Does increasing the tilt send more weight to the trailer axles?
    Jeff,

Yes, the weight distributing hitch is transferring some of the weight back to the trailer's axles.

If you were to run your rig (truck + trailer) across the scale again, but disengage the WD hitch's spring bars, you would see a lot of weight lifted off the truck's steer axle and a lot of weight added to the truck's drive axle. You would probably also see the trailer's axle weight return to what it was when you weighed the trailer by itself.

Depending on what type of WD hitch you have, increasing washers / increasing tilt of the hitch head will increase pressure of the WD hitch's spring bars. Adding more pressure to the spring bars should transfer more weight to the truck's steer axle, and should also transfer more weight to the trailer's axles as well.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch