User Tag List

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling to Canada

Just looking for opinions as to when non-essential travel into Canada from the US is likely to be allowed. Also whether the 14 day self-isolation will still be in effect when it is.

We're supposed to be on a group caravan beginning mid-June in Montreal visiting the eastern provinces. I can't see that it's actually going to happen, but I don't know the mindset of the people making those decisions.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 05-04-2020 at 04:22 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Just looking for opinions as to when non-essential travel into Canada from the US is likely to be allowed. Also whether the 14 day self-isolation will still be in effect when it is.

We're supposed to be on a group caravan beginning mid-June in Montreal visiting the eastern provinces. I can't see that's it's actually going to happen, but I don't know the mindset of the people making those decisions.
    Some of the provinces are actually relaxing SOME of the conditions starting this week. However, re-opening the U.S./Canada border will be a federal government decision, time-wise, and IMHO will not happen soon. due, at least, in some part, to the rate of infections happening in the U.S. Most of Canada now seems to have reducing daily infection rates, but still a long way from the goal. And, because it's a federal thing, they WILL NOT open the border a bit at a time - it will be all of it or none of it. The other unknown of course, is what, if any, pressure Trump may attempt to exert. I am hoping things work out for you since we have a trip planned the other way (Washington and Oregon) in September. Here's hoping this whole thing goes away sooner rather than later.

...VTX-Al

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VTX-AL View Post
    Some of the provinces are actually relaxing SOME of the conditions starting this week. However, re-opening the U.S./Canada border will be a federal government decision, time-wise, and IMHO will not happen soon. due, at least, in some part, to the rate of infections happening in the U.S. Most of Canada now seems to have reducing daily infection rates, but still a long way from the goal. And, because it's a federal thing, they WILL NOT open the border a bit at a time - it will be all of it or none of it. The other unknown of course, is what, if any, pressure Trump may attempt to exert. I am hoping things work out for you since we have a trip planned the other way (Washington and Oregon) in September. Here's hoping this whole thing goes away sooner rather than later.

...VTX-Al
    You know, I'm really getting more in the mindset of hoping that the RV company will cancel the trip. I just wish they'd do it sooner than later.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with VTX-AL, don’t think the border will open soon. Closing was a bi-lateral agreement and opening will also be bi-lateral.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Agree with VTX-AL, don’t think the border will open soon. Closing was a bi-lateral agreement and opening will also be bi-lateral.
    Not sure about that. I believe one or the other could open while the other wouldn't have to. That is, for example, US says "anyone can come in", but Canada can continue to say "no non-essential travel".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about that. I believe one or the other could open while the other wouldn't have to. That is, for example, US says "anyone can come in", but Canada can continue to say "no non-essential travel".
    You could be right given actions regarding international relations over the past few years, but I doubt any change would be uni-lateral. Trade is huge between Canada and the US and that will continue but personal travel will be curtailed. I hope it all works out and we are crossing the border on camping trips soon.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're supposed to be on a group caravan beginning mid-June in Montreal visiting the eastern provinces. I can't see that it's actually going to happen, but I don't know the mindset of the people making those decisions.
    Don’t like your chances for Mid June. Quebec and Ontario r the worst hit provinces up here and the way things r going in Michigan and New York I cant see things opening up at the border for a while. Especially the way the states r planning on relaxing their rules I would suspect a major uptick in numbers. Good luck. We have a 3 week trip in late sept down south that might not be happening.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's official - our tour has been canceled. We're hoping to move the reservation to the same trip next year, just waiting for a return call from Fantasy RV.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: Sorry didn't get back sooner. We were able to rebook the trip for next year. Fantasy RV was helpful and we were able to move the cost of this year's trip to the new one (no extra cost).