User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I'm in planning stages to do some power and electrical upgrades to our trailer. I'd like to add more battery capacity, most likely with Lithium batteries and I'd like to add solar panels. Our power needs are not that great and I'm fairly certain that 200 amp-hours of battery power would more than cover our needs.

If we go with Lithium batteries is it true that it would be best to replace the factory Power Converter that is in my trailer with one suitable for Lithium batteries?

Since I'm also thinking about adding solar power I know that I'll need to install a Solar charge controller as well. I was wondering if someone makes a solar charger controller that also acts a Power Converter?

Would 400 watts of solar panels be enough to charge back the batteries?

Where can I find a logical schematic diagram for my trailer, does Grand Design provide them? I've seen other general Travel Trailer schematics, but it would be nice to one that is specific to my trailer, with part numbers and the actual wire colors use. It would be ever nicer to know how and where the wires are run in the trailer, but I already know that I can't have that.

Thanks

Bob
    Bob,
    I am finishing up my installation of two Battle Born batteries, 400 watts of solar panels, Victron solar controller and battery monitor. You say you are in the planning stages. Have you done solar before? If not I would recommend going through AM Solar’s web site for a start. They have lots of good information, videos and schematics of typical systems. Before you jump in you need to understand solar panel outputs, cable sizing requirments, fuses circuit breakers and how to make custom cables. There is a lot to it, it takes a whole lot of time and it cost a lot of money.

I would recommend that you start with the lithium batteries, battery monitor and new converter. Once you have the batteries in, install an Inverter and figure out how to use the AC power in your trailer. An alternative to a converter is an inverter that has a converter built in. Once you have the batteries in and the inverter you can go out and use it to see how long you can boondock on batteries alone. Adding the solar can be phase two of your project. Good luck.

Will 200 amp hours of batteries be enough. Yes for a small to a medium size system.

Do you need to replace your converter. Yes with a lithium converter. Will the converter you have work? My research said yes but the batteries will not fully charge.

Is there a solar controller that also functions as a converter? Not that I have seen.

Will 400 watts of solar recharge the batteries? I hope so because that is what I put in. Don’t have the panels hooked up yet.

Schematic of trailer wiring, talk to Grand Design. Wiring in my trailer is a real mess. Wires are wraped around things, twisted, kinked and interwoven.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by J&J___; 05-05-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't tell I have zero experience with solar, but I do have a lot experience engineering AC and DC power systems (I was in Telecommunications). I took a quick look a the AM Solar web page, your correct its got a ton of info in there. I also found this web page https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/ which also seem like a interesting source of info.

I am doing as you suggested, first I'm going to start with lithium batteries, battery monitor and new converter. If all goes well I'll introduce solar into the mix.

Everyone thanks for the info!!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't tell I have zero experience with solar, but I do have a lot experience engineering AC and DC power systems (I was in Telecommunications). I took a quick look a the AM Solar web page, your correct its got a ton of info in there. I also found this web page https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/ which also seem like a interesting source of info.

I am doing as you suggested, first I'm going to start with lithium batteries, battery monitor and new converter. If all goes well I'll introduce solar into the mix.

Whereas we started with solar, then got the lithium batteries.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the Mobile Solar Power site also has lots of great information. Check out his videos, they are some of the best around. He knows how to explain things. I bought my batteries, solar controller, battery monitor and converter directly from Battle Born. I figured if there was a problem with the batteries I would be dealing wit the manufacturer instead of a third party. They have great service and shipped quickly. Buy two batteries they will give you a discount and if you find the other products you buy from them cheaper they will match the price. I put my system together with 2 BB batteries, progressive dynamics converter, Victron batery monitor and solar controler, xantrex inverter from my old trailer and two Hitech 200 watt solar panels. These are big panels, if you don’t have room on your roof then you need 4 100 watt panels. I used the roof combiner box from AM solar and the AM Solar mounting feet. The 40mm feet fit the panels I have perfect. I used Temco 4 AWG wire from panels to solar controller. The temco wire is nice flexible wire good quality. I would recommend it. Bussman or Blue Seas breakers and Blue seas on/off switch between panels and controller. Hope this helps.

You might also want to check out Continuous Resources for parts. https://www.continuousresources.com/
    Last edited by J&J___; 05-06-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Bob.

I agree with virtually everything J&J___ has said. I installed solar/lithium upgrades in our new 310GK over the last month, and it took longer than I expected. It sounds like you have plenty of experience to correctly select cable sizes. I bought a hydraulic crimper which will go from 4/0 AWG to 8 AWG, and it's definitely paid for itself. I used 2/0 AWG between the batteries and the inverter, and kept that distance as short as possible. Our system is

2 Battle Born 100Ah batteries
    Xantrex Freedom X 2000W inverter (liked the transfer switch capability)
    Progressive Dynamics 60A lithium converter
    Victron BMV-712 battery monitor
    Redarc BCDC1240D DC-DC charger (40A charging from solar and/or tow vehicle)
    2 Renogy 160W 12V solar panels (I built a leg system and cabling to use them as portables instead of roof mount)
    Progressive Dynamics PD55B001V AC power center (breaker box for the inverter powered lines)

The https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/ videos are extremely useful, and he has some interesting data on LiFePO4 battery use and life.

I wish I could tell you that our system has served us well, but obviously, we haven't had a chance to make use of it yet. Hoping to get out soon!
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD/CC/SB/SRW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an awesome system sitting in my driveway trickle charging an expensive battery bank waiting for the world to get closer to normal haha

5000va Victron Quattro
    1200w (with 1680w more waiting to be installed) of solar
    10 kWh of Victron Lithium Batteries
    Victron Lynx Shunt
    Victron Color Control GX

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Quattro installed.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	26340
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    I have an awesome system sitting in my driveway trickle charging an expensive battery bank waiting for the world to get closer to normal haha

5000va Victron Quattro
    Victron Lynx Shunt
    Victron Color Control GX

Wow! I wanna go boondocking with you! All I'll need is an extension cord!
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD/CC/SB/SRW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverDon View Post
    Wow! I wanna go boondocking with you! All I'll need is an extension cord!
    I wanna go boondocking with me too! lol
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you mind listing the entire setup (equipment) and your retailer, please? This is a fantastic setup, but I can't make out the components other than the the specifics you mentioned. Also, why the choice of 24V batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post

5000va Victron Quattro
    Victron Lynx Shunt
    Victron Color Control GX

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhereItsAt View Post
    Would you mind listing the entire setup (equipment) and your retailer, please? This is a fantastic setup, but I can't make out the components other than the the specifics you mentioned. Also, why the choice of 24V batteries?
    I bought pretty much everything from Continuous Resources with Amazon filling any gaps or quick needs. Here is my system schematic with parts listed. I am currently only in the "single Quattro" phase of the build. Down the road I want to add the 2nd and autotransformers.

I went 24v as it offered higher overall efficiency and more flexibility with MPPTs. It does introduce the need for converters though to power the 12v system as well as receive 12v charging from my truck.

Name:	RV Inverter Design - Small MPPTs END STATE 2880w Autotransformer - favor off-grid - single Quatt.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	26430

Name:	RV Inverter Design - Small MPPTs END STATE 2880w Autotransformer - favor off-grid.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	26429

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast