User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar and Lithium battery Questions

I'm in planning stages to do some power and electrical upgrades to our trailer. I'd like to add more battery capacity, most likely with Lithium batteries and I'd like to add solar panels. Our power needs are not that great and I'm fairly certain that 200 amp-hours of battery power would more than cover our needs.

If we go with Lithium batteries is it true that it would be best to replace the factory Power Converter that is in my trailer with one suitable for Lithium batteries?

Since I'm also thinking about adding solar power I know that I'll need to install a Solar charge controller as well. I was wondering if someone makes a solar charger controller that also acts a Power Converter?

Would 400 watts of solar panels be enough to charge back the batteries?

Where can I find a logical schematic diagram for my trailer, does Grand Design provide them? I've seen other general Travel Trailer schematics, but it would be nice to one that is specific to my trailer, with part numbers and the actual wire colors use. It would be ever nicer to know how and where the wires are run in the trailer, but I already know that I can't have that.

Thanks

Bob

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you have an inverter to convert DC to AC power for use by appliances and devices? If so, it would probably be easiest to find an inverter/charger combo unit and then also buy a solar charge controller separately.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes we be buying a small DC to AC inverter to run the TV and DVR, and maybe a Laptop charger but not much more. I was asking about the Power Converted (AC to DC) and Solar Charge Controller. Since I believe I have change out our exist Power Converter because its probably not suitable for Lithium batteries and I have to purchase a Solar Charge Controller when I add solar panels I was wondering if anyone made a device that did both functions, manage the commercial AC to DC conversion and manage the charging from the solar panels. I know its a stretch, but you never know.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are some all in one devices but you are buying compromise then and not necessarily saving any money. I favor a modular system where you have the flexibility to expand or replace or upgrade components as needed.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I'm in planning stages to do some power and electrical upgrades to our trailer. I'd like to add more battery capacity, most likely with Lithium batteries and I'd like to add solar panels. Our power needs are not that great and I'm fairly certain that 200 amp-hours of battery power would more than cover our needs.

If we go with Lithium batteries is it true that it would be best to replace the factory Power Converter that is in my trailer with one suitable for Lithium batteries?

Since I'm also thinking about adding solar power I know that I'll need to install a Solar charge controller as well. I was wondering if someone makes a solar charger controller that also acts a Power Converter?

Would 400 watts of solar panels be enough to charge back the batteries?

Where can I find a logical schematic diagram for my trailer, does Grand Design provide them? I've seen other general Travel Trailer schematics, but it would be nice to one that is specific to my trailer, with part numbers and the actual wire colors use. It would be ever nicer to know how and where the wires are run in the trailer, but I already know that I can't have that.

Thanks

Bob
    We have 400 watts of solar panels, 2 100 amp BattleBorn lithium batteries. We bought a new converter from BattleBorn designed for lithium batteries. We also have a solar charge controller that can be programmed for lithium batteries. We are very happy with the system. One thing to keep in mind - lithium battery life is best if you charge them and then discharge them almost all the way before you recharge. In other words, do NOT leave the solar turned on all the time. BattleBorn also says, if you are not using your rig for longer than a week or 2 to leave the batteries at about 50% charge the whole time it's in storage.

My husband called BattleBorn in Reno and talked to an engineer. They are very helpful and can answer your questions.

BTW, if you are a member of Escapees, they offer a discount on the batteries for members. Maybe FMCA, also.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We have 400 watts of solar panels, 2 100 amp BattleBorn lithium batteries. We bought a new converter from BattleBorn designed for lithium batteries. We also have a solar charge controller that can be programmed for lithium batteries. We are very happy with the system. One thing to keep in mind - lithium battery life is best if you charge them and then discharge them almost all the way before you recharge. In other words, do NOT leave the solar turned on all the time. BattleBorn also says, if you are not using your rig for longer than a week or 2 to leave the batteries at about 50% charge the whole time it's in storage.

My husband called BattleBorn in Reno and talked to an engineer. They are very helpful and can answer your questions.

BTW, if you are a member of Escapees, they offer a discount on the batteries for members. Maybe FMCA, also.
    Hi,

You state. “One thing to keep in mind - lithium battery life is best if you charge them and then discharge them almost all the way before you recharge. In other words, do NOT leave the solar turned on all the time. ” I did a lot of research on Batle Born batteries before buying a couple and did not find this information. If you follow this logic then leaving your rig plugged in and the batteries being charged from the converter will also shorten the life of the batteries. Do you have a link to where Battle Born says to not leave the solar charger on all the time. Thanks.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    Hi,

You state. “One thing to keep in mind - lithium battery life is best if you charge them and then discharge them almost all the way before you recharge. In other words, do NOT leave the solar turned on all the time. ” I did a lot of research on Batle Born batteries before buying a couple and did not find this information. If you follow this logic then leaving your rig plugged in and the batteries being charged from the converter will also shorten the life of the batteries. Do you have a link to where Battle Born says to not leave the solar charger on all the time. Thanks.
    Once the batteries are charged, the converter should go to a float mode in which there is a very low trickle current provided. The batteries would last decades under this state. The way the converter works is that it will output a programmed voltage and the batteries will only take as much current as they "need". When full and in float without any other DC loads this is VERY low.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    Hi,

The manual that came with the battery says that long term storage should be at 40% charge on the battery. With regard to charging and discharging the warranty exclusions says there should be no more than one discharge/charge cycle per day. My husband asked the engineer if this meant if was better to discharge it down to 30 or 40 % and then charge it again. Or discharge it to 80% and recharge it. She told him it was better to limit the number of charge/discharge cycles. This only really applies to boondocking, where you are running off the battery. It's just what he was told. He couldn't find any other info on it. The warranty is 10 years, which they specify as 3,000 discharge cycles.

Of course, our rig has been stored for 2 months now, due the current situation with the battery being at 13.26 volts. We recently went out to check on our rig and it's STILL 13.26 volts. We are lucky, there are no drains on the battery with the battery switch off. Unlike many others on this forum who've found out otherwise.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 05-05-2020 at 07:13 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    The manual that came with the battery says that long term storage should be at 40% charge on the battery. With regard to charging and discharging the warranty exclusions says there should be no more than one discharge/charge cycle per day. My husband asked the engineer if this meant if was better to discharge it down to 30 or 40 % and then charge it again. Or discharge it to 80% and recharge it. She told him it was better to limit the number of charge/discharge cycles. This only really applies to boondocking, where you are running off the battery. It's just what he was told. He couldn't find any other info on it. The warranty is 10 years, which they specify as 3,000 discharge cycles.

Of course, our rig has been stored for 2 months now, due the current situation with the battery being at 13.26 volts. We recently went out to check on our rig and it's STILL 13.26 volts. We are lucky, there are no drains on the battery with the battery switch off. Unlike many others on this forum who've found out otherwise.
    Ok thanks for the information.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Once the batteries are charged, the converter should go to a float mode in which there is a very low trickle current provided. The batteries would last decades under this state. The way the converter works is that it will output a programmed voltage and the batteries will only take as much current as they "need". When full and in float without any other DC loads this is VERY low.

Thanks for the information.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast