User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Ya, have to make sure that it actually engages when needed. Similar, need to make sure it ONLY engages when needed haha
    No doubt.........engaging when it wasn't needed would certainly put "crimp" in my fuel mileage numbers!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    No doubt.........engaging when it wasn't needed would certainly put "crimp" in my fuel mileage numbers!
    Make your tires an interesting shape too!
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had same problem. I run it through a couple of cable ties (loose) up on the hitch to keep it out of mechanism. No problems since doing that.
    Bill Skinner, Buford GA
    2015 Reflection 29 RS
    2019 Ford F250 gas; 4.3 Diff

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered one of the coiled steel cables (6 foot long) with the pin already attached and a Caribeaner on the other end. Looking for a place to attach to the truck instead of the hitch itself, and I came up with this idea. The Better Built sign on my toolbox in the bed was pop riveted on, so I drilled out one of the pop rivets and enlarged the hole to fit a 1/4-20 machine thread eye bolt. A nut on one side of the toolbox and a self locking nut on the inside. When connected, it is a straight pull from the breakaway switch to the eye bolt, and there is enough distance that it keeps it stretched just enough to stay off of the actual hitch....
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered one of the coiled steel cables (6 foot long) with the pin already attached and a Caribeaner on the other end. Looking for a place to attach to the truck instead of the hitch itself, and I came up with this idea. The Better Built sign on my toolbox in the bed was pop riveted on, so I drilled out one of the pop rivets and enlarged the hole to fit a 1/4-20 machine thread eye bolt. A nut on one side of the toolbox and a self locking nut on the inside. When connected, it is a straight pull from the breakaway switch to the eye bolt, and there is enough distance that it keeps it stretched just enough to stay off of the actual hitch....

I like the coiled cable approach. Interesting to hear this is what comes standard now. I began attaching ours (straight cable) to the truck (just inside the tailgate) for ease of attachment. However, one day I took a HARD right hand turn in our cul-de-sac and the E-brakes engaged (embarrassing in front of the neighbors). I like the ease of the attachment point (close to where the 7pin connects to the truck) so I went and made my own longer cable... purchased coated cable, clasps and carabiner. It has worked perfectly though the excess cable can get caught on things (hasn't caused any issues to date). I am rethinking my plan with the coiled approach! Thanks for posting.
    Harrison
    2020 Reflection 31MB Fifth Wheel
    2016 RAM 3500 6.7L AISIN 3.41 DRW Auto Level Air, 60g Aux Tank

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coiled cables are available for purchase from Camping World or the Internet. It is easy to change out the old cable with the new coiled cable.

It sounds like you need to find a better attachment point as well as upgrade to a longer coiled cable.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fought with this as well, and then I had an epiphany.

If you route the cable as close to the pivot point as possible it will not have to be as long... Less chance of tangling and less chance of being too short. To that end, I run my breakaway cable straight forward on the pin box and it is attached with very little slack on the release handle. (Yes you all have a good point about attaching to the hitch. In fact I know people that have been cited for doing that with bumper pull.)

Incidentally, I do that with the electrical cable as well. My plug is mounted in the truck directly to the left of the hitch. I run that cable forward as well and straight across to the side of the bed. The length of each never has to change more than a few inches from full left to right swing of the trailer. And there is never a chance of anything tangling in whatever I put in the back of the bed.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the same hitch we have... Good choice...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    That's the same hitch we have... Good choice...
    Thanks Frank....I really, really like it....solid hitch for sure and very well made. We went with the 25K model of the Companion as our Momentum has a GVWR of 20,000 lb and hey, why not have a little bit of extra capacity!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried a Fastway Zip? (https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/zip-breakaway-cable)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123